The end is near....SCOTTeVEST's Baby

Status
Not open for further replies.

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
I am not trying to prove anything and have no interest in fueling fires. Just capturing the relevant information. You are on the defense at the moment because of your engagement with Benny and things going awry. You have 70+ pages of helpful support, don't let the last 10 go to hell.
Yes I am being defensive in light of the fact that someone in this group has purposely try to make my life miserable. I still don’t understand why you would go to the trouble of making a screenshot. Makes no sense to me.

Last edited:

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have decided to take a break from this forum. If you would like to direct message me, please do so but I find nothing constructive about responding to each and every comment.

I am sorry to have inconvenienced anyone here, but do appreciate all of your helpful and constructive advice.

I will hopefully post a final video when I get the vehicle back from Benny telling him how thankful I am for taking care of all of the minor things.

Take care! :)

Eiremon

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I would recommend that you stop taking video at his shop. You are obviously in a sensitive situation with a non-trivial punch list of poorly completed work, some of which he will never finish. Broadcasting your conversations with him at this stage is counter productive - if I were him I'd be done with having the camera waved in my face. Work with him 1:1, not 30:1.

Benny and Co. got in a bit over their heads on this and did what they could to get the car completed. The paint issues are disappointing given that this was supposed to be their strength. As I mentioned 30 pages ago, their quality control seemed to be lacking at times.

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
about the 3.0 CS badge. I assume Benny put the badge back where it started and did not weld the holds shut and re-drill.
The CS on my coupe was also a little off. Yes, I do not have under riders (well, I do in a box in the basement)...
Kyle 161.JPG

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
see below, ALL CAPS response, not yelling

YES, I CAN. THE CHECKLIST MAY APPEAR LONG, BUT EVERYTHING ON IT WAS WITHIN SCOPE, WITH MAYBE A MINOR EXCEPTION. JUST BECAUSE THERE ARE LOTS OF WORDS, DOESN'T MEAN IT WAS OUT OF SCOPE OR WOULD TAKE LONG TO DO. PLEASE POINT ME TO ITEMS SPECIFICALLY THAT YOU FEEL WOULD TAKE LONG AND/OR WERE OUT OF SCOPE.

Alot of things weren’t within scope from the starting point, paintjob turned mini-resto, and I know that it isn’t your fault that they accepted to deal with your scope creep.

It’s obvious they did bite off more than they can chew, for one reason or the other.

I DISAGREE ENTIRELY. MY ISSUE HAS LITTLE TO DO WITH E9 SPECIFIC THINGS BUT RATHER GETTING A CAR BACK WITH DIRT? UNDER PAINT THAT SHOULD NOT BE THERE OR THAT WAS NOT FULLY BUFFED/CUT. YES, THERE WERE SOME ISOLATED E9 ISSUES, BUT FOR THE MOST PART THE ISSUE IS SIMPLY DELIVERING A CAR BACK TO A CUSTOMER THAT WASN'T DONE AND ASKING THE CUSTOMER TO POINT OUT FLAWS.

Yes, I don’t either understand why they let the coupe into your hands in its current state, the faults are many and obvious, and it should not have left the shop like that.

AGAIN, BE SPECIFIC. WHAT SHOULD I PAY HIM FOR THAT WASN'T COMTEMPLATED. THIS IS A SERIOUS QUESTION. ANY TIME BENNY ASKED FOR MORE MONEY, WHICH HE DID OFTEN AS SCOPE INCREASED, WITHOUT ARGUMENT OR NEGOTIATION I PAID HIM. IN FACT, I EVEN OFFER TO PAY HIM MUCH MORE TO COMPLETE THE BUMPER MODIFICATIONS EVEN THOUGH THAT WAS PART OF THE ORIG SCOPE, BUT I THOUGHT IT WOULD BE NICE TO DO.

What I’m saying is, the car isn’t really finished, so why wouldn’t you have to keep paying them to finish it? (Except the paint issues) Haven’t you been paying them by the hours they put in on the extras so far?

Maybe they thought you wanted it done cheap and fast, (despite you telling them to do it properly) since the quality is missing. If you demand high quality, you usually have to pay for it too, in both time and money.

THERE ARE MANY CLEAR PARTICLES OF DIRT/DUST THROUGHOUT. I AM CERTAIN THAT YOU WOULD NOT EXPECT THAT. MY CAR DIDN'T HAVE THESE TO BEGIN WITH. WOULD YOU LIKE HI-RES IMAGES WHERE YOU CAN CLEARLY SEE THEM? THE MINOR ONES I AM CERTAIN WILL COME OUT READILY WITH BUFF/CUT THAT HASN'T OCCURRED YET PROPERLY PER BENNY FOR REASONS I AM NOT SURE OF.

It took a good while for you to find any of these ”obvious” imperfections, or wasn’t it even so that it was your friend who found them? That tells me that they can’t be extremely obvious and that you wouldn’t notice them from several feets away if you didn’t know they existed.

So, where do you draw the line between a driver quality paint and a show paint?

It feels like you and Benny have different opinions on what’s acceptable for a drivers quality paint, and it’s a bit late to fix it in a good way at this moment. But he has promised to fix the most of it, so we’ll still have to wait and see what the end finish will be.

PLEASE IDENTIFY PRECISELY WHAT THINGS IN PARTICULAR REQUIRE "COUPE" EXPERIENCE TO FIX THAT HE IS INCAPABLE OF FIXING. WHENEVER I ASKED BENNY ABOUT HIS COMFORT LEVEL WORKING ON THIS CAR, HE WOULD POINT TO THE MULTIPLE CARS AROUND ME AND REMIND ME OF THE PORSCHE 356's HAS DONE, ETC. THAT I HAVE SEEN AND TELL ME IT'S NOT ROCKET SCIENCE.

The quality would certainly go up several notches if somebody who knew these cars were working on it, I can’t understand how you don’t see that.
It’s not rocket sience for sure, but it isn’t easy to get everything both looking and functioning right, either. Markos wrote a great post earlier in this thread about this, but if you don’t want to understand, you won’t understand.

Just take a look at Andrews thread, and what VSR did to his car, he’s now driving across the country and winning award after award. It’s no coincidence, it’s what you get when experienced people work on your car.

I DON'T HAVE SOLID PROOF BUT SUSPICIONS BASED UPON HIS COMMENTS ABOUT MY EGO AND BEING BOTHERED THAT I DON'T USE MY HANDS TO DO STUFF MYSELF AND INSTEAD HIRE SOMEONE TO DO THINGS FOR ME WHEN I CAN DO SO. I MAY BE WRONG, BUT I WILL ULTIMATELY FIND OUT AS I AM CERTAIN BENNY AND I ULTIMATELY WILL HAVE A BIG LAUGH OVER ALL THIS EVENTUALLY OVER A BEER WHEN I DO A VIDEO FOR HIM SHOWING JUST HOW GREAT A JOB HE DID AND HOW HAPPY I AM, WHICH I FULLY INTEND ON DOING WHEN ALL IS SAID AND DONE. THEN HE WILL TELL ME WHO SENT HIM THAT VIDEO WITH THE GOAL OF JUST STIRRING THINGS UP. IF IT WASN'T @restart, THEN I WILL APOLOGIZE TO HIM AND EXPOSE THE PERSON IT WAS. BENNY WILL ULTIMATELY TELL ME. I AM SURE OF THAT.

So why name him as guilty before you really know? Wouldn’t the proper way be to just keep your suspicions to yourself _until_ you know?
If somebody suspects you of something, would you prefer them to openly put your name out, with a promise to say ”sorry” if they were wrong?
Come on, Scott.
Take your responsibility for uploading the video here, it’s ultimately your own fault no matter who sent them the video. Having an open and public project like this, with lots of videos does have its pros and cons, so you have to take the good with the bad, and remind yourself that without this forum you’d still be searching for parts, and not anywhere finished since both you and the shop lacks the know-how of these cars.

Last edited:

nosmonkey

In Rust We Trust
Site Donor
Reaction score
Scott,

Calling someone out on a forum based on nothing but suspicion is extremely disrespectful, guilty until proven innocent isn't the way forward.

Also, with regards to having had the vehicle sent to a shop that knows these cars vs one that doesn't, classic car restorations/freshen ups may, for the most part, be the same. But the 20-30% that is model specific is where the expertise and knowledge of a shop such as VSR or LJ comes into play, putting a car back together is always harder than taking it apart, especially when its your first time with that specific model. Whether or not the reduction in time and increase in quality of work is worth the increase in cost however, is only up to you.

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
A sad ending (perhaps) to a long and frequently TMI topic. As a techno-peasant, I have no idea how info got to Benny, but after all, it is a public forum.

When the internet/email first started being used in the Dow Jones Industrials corp. I worked in, I advised all the people in my organization not to post anything in any email that they didn't want everyone in the world to read, and essentially treat every posting as they would their bank statement. Nothing you post on the internet is ever private.

Scott was and hopefully will be very proud of his car and the restoration. I think he got a lot for his money, but he didn't buy show quality service.

Gary--

Philippe db

Reaction score
I think he got a lot for his money, but he didn't buy show quality service.
Gary--

Hi guys,

Maybe I'm ignorant and I for sure wouldn't know the difference between a normal painting and a show quality painting. What I know is the difference between a good paint job and a bad one and if I ever saw a bad paint job it must have been on Scott's car.

My car was painted during it's restoration 4 years ago in a shed somewhere in Hungary. That being said I challenge anybody to go over its paint with a magnifying glass and look for imperfections, dust remains, fish eyes…... There simply aren't any to be found.

When it comes to painting a car it's very simple, you either know what you're doing or you don't.

Dohn

Reaction score
I wonder if you could shave the post on the back of the badge to get the right side lower? I'd rather do that than mess with the holes in the gorgeous new paint!

(Sorry, this comment refers to the badge discussion from earlier. It appears I wasn't on the last page of the thread when I posted it, so now it is out of context. But then, I live my life out of context...)

Last edited:

restart

Reaction score
Frankly, I don’t think they are reading this form but if they were to read it I think they would find that we have been highly complementary in all regards to their work.

I think I expressed my feelings back in May.

Scott,
I haven’t posted here as you asked me to stop. Hoping I won’t be banned or put in jail for feeling the need to respond to all the tags on me popping up lately in this thread. I am apologizing to all subjected to this argument. In some perverse way this kind of ‘communication’ and trashy talk is great for ratings. Being a less than perfect human, In this case I felt compelled to get involved.
While I enjoyed the reality tv quality of the thread, reality tv doesn’t really give one a chance to act out ones sympathies and support and communicate in real life with the side one is aligned with.

Perhaps you have heard of the six degrees of separation. Some people may see my taking sides in this case as wrong. I said what I meant and I meant what I said. I am a champion of the underdog. To my detriment, if I have something to say about someone I generally say it to their face and not behind their back. I am not a fan of what I saw as condescending, patronizing double speak. I made a judgement call and decided regardless of the work I sympathized with the ‘other side’.
In defence of the forum, you can rest assured that for good or bad I know non-forum people in this script. I smelt BS some time ago and take full responsibility for trying to get the other side of the story. I expressed my feelings about this here and abroad and am not afraid to admit that I have exchanged words with Ben and am not alone in this.

I absolutely 100 percent told Benny that if your car was in my shop it wouldn’t have been there long. It would be on a flat deck heading back to your house.
I am not Benny’s spy. The responsibility for my actions falls on me, not the forum, not Benny, not Scott.
If anyone wants to flame me, I don’t know, maybe do it over on one of my threads or start a thread in off topic or feedback. This thread was too interesting to go down in flames like this.
A

Status
Not open for further replies.