scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
sent this to Erik at Coupe King, Carl Nelson, and W&N
Do you have:
  • full set of felt for all windows? see
  • license plate bracket
  • full lower chrome with back rubber above the belt trim, see
  • all the indicator lights within the left instrument, e.g. bright lights, etc.
Scott

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Just learned that Felt is no longer available. I hope to hear back from Coupe King. I ordered some but my shop can't find them. Otherwise, need to have them made by upholstery shop. Does anyone know CoupeKing Erik's phone number or handle here?

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Good thing I have been taking videos... Proof that felt was delivered. Who is going to Bimmerfest West? sent this to benny.
-----

See this video timestamped 5:48 showing when I delivered the felt to Gary. Below is proof of delivery.
Hopefully, you will locate them there now seeing the box, etc.
I was sure I had them.
If we can't find the felt there, I will see if CoupeKing can send another set quickly, but not sure if he can. Doesn't seem available elsewhere unfortunately, so you will need to get from upholstery shop and custom make.
I will be there at 8:30am today to meet Russ Bork for wood. Seems that now that you have the wood, the only remaining part I can think of is the sound deadening which we need to cut ourselves. But otherwise you should have everything you need to complete.
The only question now is whether you think the paint will be cured enough to put the belt trim on in a timely fashion.
BTW, there is a HUGE BMW event called BimmerFest near LA with concourse and vintage "racing" on May 25. I REALLY want to go, but that means I'd need the vehicle ALL done, including alignment, etc. by no later than May 22, one week after we agreed, to get me on the road.
Is that feasible? Again, I don't want to rush you, but it would be awesome.
Thanks, and see you soon.
Scott

Last edited:

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
OMG.... Making so much progress. Sorry for long video this time, 26 minutes. Covered in this video:
  • Wood is here!!! Looking great!
  • Searching for Felt
  • confirming completion date: looking really good. Hoping to be on the road by May 21 and head to Bimmerfest West near LA. Anyone else going?
  • Lots of video showing the paint job.
  • Discussion of punch list.
  • Benny is not worried so much about belt trim. He will either be a hero setting new standards for curing or will be repainting at his expense.
Can't wait!!!! For a simple paint job, can't believe how much we ended up doing.

Next: interior next winter, although not sure how much is really needed, engine compartment -new hoses, etc. but mechanically most done already.

If others want to have their wood done, it was $1275.

Lots of pictures attached too, and hi-res versions in Flickr album here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/125013136@N05/?

Attachments

• IMG_0435.JPG
    IMG_0435.JPG
    276.3 KB · Views: 361
  • IMG_0497.JPG
    IMG_0497.JPG
    238.1 KB · Views: 355
  • IMG_1550.JPG
    IMG_1550.JPG
    257.1 KB · Views: 343
  • IMG_3837.JPG
    IMG_3837.JPG
    244.9 KB · Views: 377
  • IMG_4448.JPG
    IMG_4448.JPG
    232.5 KB · Views: 346
  • IMG_4650.JPG
    IMG_4650.JPG
    264.2 KB · Views: 341
  • IMG_4699.JPG
    IMG_4699.JPG
    261.3 KB · Views: 347
  • IMG_6542.JPG
    IMG_6542.JPG
    274.2 KB · Views: 344
  • IMG_7730.JPG
    IMG_7730.JPG
    232.6 KB · Views: 350
  • IMG_8461.JPG
    IMG_8461.JPG
    283.2 KB · Views: 349
  • IMG_9128.JPG
    IMG_9128.JPG
    249.6 KB · Views: 368
  • IMG_2153.JPG
    IMG_2153.JPG
    271.2 KB · Views: 384
  • IMG_3423.JPG
    IMG_3423.JPG
    245.3 KB · Views: 358
  • IMG_4742.JPG
    IMG_4742.JPG
    255.6 KB · Views: 342
  • IMG_4833.JPG
    IMG_4833.JPG
    274.7 KB · Views: 370
  • IMG_6093.JPG
    IMG_6093.JPG
    279.9 KB · Views: 338
  • IMG_8876.JPG
    IMG_8876.JPG
    247.2 KB · Views: 349
  • IMG_9230.JPG
    IMG_9230.JPG
    246.6 KB · Views: 347
  • IMG_9750.JPG
    IMG_9750.JPG
    252.2 KB · Views: 367

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Good news: Felt for rear windows located, but now need both felt and rubber for front windows. Hoping CoupeKing has them.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Scott,

How do your roundels look? Did you get new ones or refinish yours? They should be raised roundels on the hood and nose. It is possible that you have raised roundels on the pillars also since you have a '74, but the enamel ones shouldn't look out of place. One thing I know is that if your roundels looked a little rough before, they will look terrible with that nice new paint. :D

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Scott,

How do your roundels look? Did you get new ones or refinish yours? They should be raised roundels on the hood and nose. It is possible that you have raised roundels on the pillars also since you have a '74, but the enamel ones shouldn't look out of place. One thing I know is that if your roundels looked a little rough before, they will look terrible with that nice new paint. :D

Great question. Not sure about the answer to that but I asked Benny. Do you think they can sign up or should I try to get new or refurbished ones?

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Great question. Not sure about the answer to that but I asked Benny. Do you think they can sign up or should I try to get new or refurbished ones?

I believe that you can still get new raised ones. I can't recall. Lot's of dicussion on the topic. If not, they are made of aluminum. That means you can shine and polish the originals and paint them. Something that the shop could definitely do but it isn't the most cost effective option.

vince

Site Donor
Reaction score
Scott,

Your car looks fantastic!! I would love to know how much you are going to be into it when you are finally finished. Just remember, two sets of receipts: One you show your wife and the other set - well maybe just never add them up!

This has been fun to watch, that has to be the coolest group of guys ever at a restoration shop for letting you show us filming unannounced all of the time. The guy that painted my coupe 14 years ago got so tired of me showing up that he finally said get the hell out until it's finished. He painted it and I put it all back together. We shared a six pack staring at it when it was finished. 14 years later it still wins awards.

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Scott,

Your car looks fantastic!! I would love to know how much you are going to be into it when you are finally finished. Just remember, two sets of receipts: One you show your wife and the other set - well maybe just never add them up!

This has been fun to watch, that has to be the coolest group of guys ever at a restoration shop for letting you show us filming unannounced all of the time. The guy that painted my coupe 14 years ago got so tired of me showing up that he finally said get the hell out until it's finished. He painted it and I put it all back together. We shared a six pack staring at it when it was finished. 14 years later it still wins awards.
Thank you for following along. I must admit that I have relied heavily on this group more for therapy as well as a great deal of guidance. I have no idea what I was getting into when I started but I am sure glad I started and even more glad it is almost finished. In terms of how much I have into it I will have to regroup and do some calculations because I really have no idea. My wife doesn’t care. I will have to segregate whatever I did on the engine separately but I am guessing I will have close to $24,000 into it if you include the cost of the wheels and tires and include the cost of the wheels and tires and suspension along with the new bumpers and wood etc. there’s no way I would’ve gone ahead with this had I heard that up front but I am glad I did. I believe that it was money well spent at the end of the day. Beyond the money, the amount of time I have spent on this has been extreme but I have enjoyed it but very thankful for everyone’s help. I could not of done it without you. I will let you know and hope to be on the road within 10 days or so

Last edited:

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
“In terms of how much I have into it”

Scott
You get to drive a white 911 cabriolet and your on TV. Don’t worry about what you have into the car. When you sell it just sign the valve cover with a sharpie and the value will go up by a couple thou.

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
“In terms of how much I have into it”

Scott
You get to drive a white 911 cabriolet and your on TV. Don’t worry about what you have into the car. When you sell it just sign the valve cover with a sharpie and the value will go up by a couple thou.

Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Any bets on how many posts/pages we will be at on this thread once this car is “done”?

Also, completion date? Originally promised for May 15th....

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
You are heading down the rabbit hole and opening Pandora's Box when getting into these cars. I believe the estimate is low, from my experiences figure double or add $10K to the estimate, especially when dealing with any kind of rust. If the shop your estimate has never worked on an E9, consider another shop like VSR1.com in New Hampshire who specializes in CS coupes.
U were right

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Any bets on how many posts/pages we will be at on this thread once this car is “done”?

Also, completion date? Originally promised for May 15th....

Estimate 79 pages. Completion date will be June 12th, 2018.

Don't worry about making BimmerFest West, lots of young guys with their tricked out 'modern BMWs. Focus on Legends of the Autobahn at the Jack Nicklaus Club in Monterey CA in August. https://legendsoftheautobahn.org

Status
Not open for further replies.