The end is near....SCOTTeVEST's Baby

Status
Not open for further replies.

DWMBMW

Site Donor
Reaction score
Scott,

Do NOT rush the re-assembly. It takes a lot longer to put everything back than you think. (Kind of like estimating bags of mulch, if you think you need 15 bags you end up really needing 30). You do not want to risk scratching the new paint job and I would also recommend driving it around town for a few weeks before heading out west to make sure all your electrics are working properly.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Scott,

Do NOT rush the re-assembly. It takes a lot longer to put everything back than you think. (Kind of like estimating bags of mulch, if you think you need 15 bags you end up really needing 30). You do not want to risk scratching the new paint job and I would also recommend driving it around town for a few weeks before heading out west to make sure all your electrics are working properly.

On that note, I suggest that you get going on the wood test fit. Perhaps it is distortion from the camera, but your wood repair looks pretty dang thick. It should be about 12mm with the veneer. The wood fits into an aluminum top plate. Find out if you have interference and if it matters.

D87E3493-B256-4B98-837D-98CB286BD001.jpeg

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
On that note, I suggest that you get going on the wood test fit. Perhaps it is distortion from the camera, but your wood repair looks pretty dang thick. It should be about 12mm with the veneer. The wood fits into an aluminum top plate. Find out if you have interference and if it matters.

View attachment 45559
Thanks. Send to Benny. I hope we are ok.

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks. Send to Benny. I hope we are ok.

Per my wood guy: What parts are they talking about? After removing previous layers applied to your components I put less back on than came off so in reality you’re components are probably closer to the original thicknesses they were when new than when I picked them up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Estimate 79 pages. Completion date will be June 12th, 2018.

Don't worry about making BimmerFest West, lots of young guys with their tricked out 'modern BMWs. Focus on Legends of the Autobahn at the Jack Nicklaus Club in Monterey CA in August. https://legendsoftheautobahn.org
would 79 pages be a record? We are at 54 pages now, so not sure if I have that many more pages in me, but I could see it. I hope you are wrong on the date. I believe you will be since they need my vehicle gone to do another Coupe. I MAY document that coupe progress if you want too. I hate to leave Sun Valley in summer, but will check out that event. NOT crazy about seeing tricked out modern BMW's but imagine they will like to see mine.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Per my wood guy: What parts are they talking about? After removing previous layers applied to your components I put less back on than came off so in reality you’re components are probably closer to the original thicknesses they were when new than when I picked them up

Measure the long dash piece, particularly around the bend. Once again, 12mm.

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Stopped by the shop again today. Gary thinks I could be on the road next week, but wasn't willing to commit without talking to Benny. Didn't do a full/long video, just this shorter.

https://youtu.be/RJvQ284Jm3I

Added some more images here too, at the end https://flic.kr/s/aHskxopipV

Ordered last bit of parts for door rubber. Thanks for helping locate.

As soon as mine is done, another Coupe is coming for a bare metal restore.

Will be stopping by tomorrow on my way to Boise, then again on Thursday. Can't wait to see the progress

To get a sense for how good the paint turned out, just look at the reflection in this image https://flic.kr/p/K2fKk7

Attachments

• IMG_0864.JPG
    IMG_0864.JPG
    253.2 KB · Views: 223
  • IMG_1651.JPG
    IMG_1651.JPG
    343.6 KB · Views: 237
Last edited:

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Making some more progress today. Tail lights are in. Starting to look like a car again. I will be back on Thursday to see what is done.

e88aef95fc4a9415989e972d98ad434f.jpg

Last edited:

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I can’t get over how nice fresh clean unhazed/ unswirly balck looks on an E9!
I agree. It looks like Benny and company have done beautiful paint work.
My car is rattle can black, and my plan is/was to keep it black (albeit new paint). But I've learned that my car was originally Polaris. And I've seen some great examples recently of other, non-e9 grays (Delphin...) that were pulling me away from black and maybe towards originality or an alternate. But Scott's car inspires me to keep my plan of making her 086 Schwarz. I am a black car guy - this is great to see.

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
I agree. It looks like Benny and company have done beautiful paint work.
My car is rattle can black, and my plan is/was to keep it black (albeit new paint). But I've learned that my car was originally Polaris. And I've seen some great examples recently of other, non-e9 grays (Delphin...) that were pulling me away from black and maybe towards originality or an alternate. But Scott's car inspires me to keep my plan of making her 086 Schwarz. I am a black car guy - this is great to see.

I must admit that I was ambivalent about the black color especially given all the other cool colors available but I really am glad I went black

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
I was in Vegas for the past 2 days, so on my way back into town I stopped off. Short video, about 4 minutes.
Key take-aways:
  • NEED Parts, broken bits that make it too hard to re-attach
    • Hood Roundel
    • 3.0 CS insignia/letters for trunk
    • side chrome fender grills
  • Gary is having a tough time with rubber attachment to rear bumper
  • Wood is looking good
  • I see no way this will be done next week at this rate. Not a huge deal

If you know best place to source these pieces and/or have thoughts on the rubber for rear bumper, please let me know.

Thanks.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
If you know best place to source these pieces and/or have thoughts on the rubber for rear bumper, please let me know.

They don't sell the chrome side vents anymore. Watching you guys toss them in the box makes me cringe.

What I did is purchase 4mm brass tube from eBay. I haven't done it yet, but my plan is to drill a hole and expoxy the tube in to create a new post. I will also fill the tube with epoxy, which is specifically why I got tube instead of using a rod.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/K-S-4mm-x-...Wall-3-9836-/282952102330?hash=item41e14271ba

Status
Not open for further replies.