The Raven e9 project

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I can't afford to build what I design
Since I've owned most of my vehicles for a long time and they've appreciated in value, I find that I couldn't afford to buy what I own. I actually said to my wife when I sold my '69 E-type roadster years ago, "Say goodbye to it because we'll never be able to own another one". :p

Last edited:

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Since I've owned most of my vehicles for a long time and they've appreciated in value, I find that I couldn't afford to buy what I own. I actually said to my wife when I sold my '69 E-type roaster years ago, "Say goodbye to it because we'll never be able to own another one". :p
Jay, we are expecting a to die for garage from you based on the two models you loaded. Can't wait.

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I'd like to see your garage that has taken cues from these structures!!!

Not actually that wild. This was the real target. It’s now a mess, and trying to move it would damage more, rendering it highly uneconomical. But all of these style shops with the rooflines & tile will be gone soon, and this one is 3 miles away, so it nags at me.

EA343857-2BF3-4FDD-9E15-03634193E11C.jpeg

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Despite being completely overloaded at the office, I spent a few minutes last night pulling the fuel tank. The inside surfaces are a but rusty, but nothing I thought a clean and seal "system" couldn't handle. But once the tank was out, I discovered another way an e9 can rust. The gasket/seals that sit between the tank and the trunk floor appear to absorb water. This manifested in corrosion of the tank seam (where the two lasagna pan halves of the tank come together). I feel that, even if I successfully cleaned and sealed the inside of the tank, this steel-to-steel seam that has corrosion eating away between the layers will never be safe from further corrosion. At this point, I am contemplating splitting the tank halves and performing conventional sheet metal body work, then re-welding them back together. Else, a new replacement tank or a VGC used tank. Honestly, for peace of mind and the level of restore I hope to achieve, the new tank seems to be the keenest choice. The only downside is the VERY steep cost. Thoughts?

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
Stephen, ..how old are you and how long you plan to enjoy the E9 ? The sum must not be more than 100..... and that is for the lucky guys !
if you overkill restoration… you will never enjoy that car …. new was from factory in the '70's , now old toys......;)

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Stephen, ..how old are you and how long you plan to enjoy the E9 ? The sum must not be more than 100..... and that is for the lucky guys !
if you overkill restoration… you will never enjoy that car …. new was from factory in the '70's , now old toys......;)
I appreciate that very much, Barry. I actually really enjoy the restoration process. Which is to say, if I never drive the "perfect, better than new" car - that might be okay. I have newer cars to drive. But I do think my time/enjoyment calculation will work out okay in that regard (at least I hope it will).

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
OK with me Stephen, but i think, for purists , better than new , is a fairy tail…. no , it will "never" be better…. yes, with mod's that are not oem.
OEM was all BMW parts … now so many chinese replyca's.. of way inferior quality. And that for many cars… and models.

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
Despite being completely overloaded at the office, I spent a few minutes last night pulling the fuel tank. The inside surfaces are a but rusty, but nothing I thought a clean and seal "system" couldn't handle. But once the tank was out, I discovered another way an e9 can rust. The gasket/seals that sit between the tank and the trunk floor appear to absorb water. This manifested in corrosion of the tank seam (where the two lasagna pan halves of the tank come together). I feel that, even if I successfully cleaned and sealed the inside of the tank, this steel-to-steel seam that has corrosion eating away between the layers will never be safe from further corrosion. At this point, I am contemplating splitting the tank halves and performing conventional sheet metal body work, then re-welding them back together. Else, a new replacement tank or a VGC used tank. Honestly, for peace of mind and the level of restore I hope to achieve, the new tank seems to be the keenest choice. The only downside is the VERY steep cost. Thoughts?

I went through this desicion as well with my project. At first I chose to clean up the original tank that was a bit rusted, had some dings and so on but halfway into the project I came to the conclusion that a better tank was needed. So I found one in Sweden and had it shipped home, stripped it, inspected it, and it was decent with less rust and dings than the original one, so I primered it and was going to use it.
After the car was painted, and with the undercarriage + exhaust and all suspension parts looking brand new, well... the decent tank wasn't cutting it anymore so off to BMW I went for a new tank, and while it looks great, the peace of mind is worth a lot too.
So, if you already know that you're aiming for a higher level with your restoration, a brand new tank is the way to go, expensive yes, but you'll learn to accept that part as the restoration goes on :D

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I went through this desicion as well with my project. At first I chose to clean up the original tank that was a bit rusted, had some dings and so on but halfway into the project I came to the conclusion that a better tank was needed. So I found one in Sweden and had it shipped home, stripped it, inspected it, and it was decent with less rust and dings than the original one, so I primered it and was going to use it.
After the car was painted, and with the undercarriage + exhaust and all suspension parts looking brand new, well... the decent tank wasn't cutting it anymore so off to BMW I went for a new tank, and while it looks great, the peace of mind is worth a lot too.
So, if you already know that you're aiming for a higher level with your restoration, a brand new tank is the way to go, expensive yes, but you'll learn to accept that part as the restoration goes on :D
Jay, if I had the money, and I don't, that would make a fantastic restoration and rental as a one person shop. I would cut the rent with the proviso that when it is convenient my coupe buddies and select others(read 2002, Bavaria, Neue Klasse) could use the shop. It would be criminal to see it fall to the wrecking ball. To think that in the day this would not turn heads. Now mine would swivel as I motored past. Sigh.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Step
Jay, if I had the money, and I don't, that would make a fantastic restoration and rental as a one person shop. I would cut the rent with the proviso that when it is convenient my coupe buddies and select others(read 2002, Bavaria, Neue Klasse) could use the shop. It would be criminal to see it fall to the wrecking ball. To think that in the day this would not turn heads. Now mine would swivel as I motored past. Sigh.

Stephen, go for New! Even a VGC tank will need something, they always do. And you will always know it is not new when so much else in your coupe is. And the cost differental will quikly disappear into the the Great Yaw.

Steve

Eric V

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Stephen, the car I just bought had receipts for complete fuel system repairs including gas tank, and it still rusted out 3 years later exactly as you described. Go for new!

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
Well that was some good, quick feedback. Thank you! For safety, reduction of gas smell, and "new car" beauty, I have a new genuine BMW tank on the way. I am happy they are still available.

Good choice, Stephen.
Don't know if you've read the about the problem I ran into with my new tank. There must have been some overspray or other paint inside the tank, which became loose and gunky when fuel was put in it.
Make sure yours is clean inside, might save you a new pump and filters.
First post on this page:

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Good choice, Stephen.
Don't know if you've read the about the problem I ran into with my new tank. There must have been some overspray or other paint inside the tank, which became loose and gunky when fuel was put in it.
Make sure yours is clean inside, might save you a new pump and filters.
First post on this page:
Now that you mention it, I do remember that - thanks for the reminder. I will definitely check the tank innards before filling. I have a good sending unit, and another new sending unit, and three sending unit filters in tow. I will use care in selecting the right combination. I have a new electric fuel pump in the trunk - hate the location and the noise it makes. Unfortunately someone else attached it right through the elephant skin wheel well cover. :mad: I'd like to replace with a different unit and place underneath as you and @Stevehose have done. Love the idea of an extra filter before the pump. I also have one or two filters before the carbs up front. Ultimately, I'll replace the whole line set, too.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Today went from elation to disappointment. Am I overreacting?

Today, by brand new BMW fuel tank arrived for The Raven. I ordered it from BMW of South Atlanta as they seemed to have the best price with shipping. It took many weeks to arrive as I believe it was shipped from Germany, although it may have come from a BMW NA warehouse in Florida. Either way, the box arrived today. Damaged.

I found three obvious areas with damage. The most significant, I think, is that the filler neck has been pushed in. This deformed the top of the tank and has kinked the side a bit. There is also a small but sharp ding in the bottom of the tank. And there is some edge damage where the two halves come together. Rust is already present so this didn't just happen in a FedEx truck. There is also a hint of surface flash rust on the inside, which is probably normal.?. I have sent a message to BMW of South Atlanta, and need to wait for their reply. So again, am I overreacting, or should I expect a better piece? This was not cheap - currently the most expensive single part I've ordered for the car.

Filler neck area:
20200331-filler neck-01.jpg20200331-filler neck-02.jpg20200331-filler neck-03.jpg20200331-filler neck-04.jpg

Edge damage:
20200331-edge damage-01.jpg20200331-edge damage-02.jpg

Ding and interior of tank:
20200331-ding-01.jpg20200331-ding-02.jpg

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Today went from elation to disappointment. Am I overreacting?

Today, by brand new BMW fuel tank arrived for The Raven. I ordered it from BMW of South Atlanta as they seemed to have the best price with shipping. It took many weeks to arrive as I believe it was shipped from Germany, although it may have come from a BMW NA warehouse in Florida. Either way, the box arrived today. Damaged.

I found three obvious areas with damage. The most significant, I think, is that the filler neck has been pushed in. This deformed the top of the tank and has kinked the side a bit. There is also a small but sharp ding in the bottom of the tank. And there is some edge damage where the two halves come together. Rust is already present so this didn't just happen in a FedEx truck. There is also a hint of surface flash rust on the inside, which is probably normal.?. I have sent a message to BMW of South Atlanta, and need to wait for their reply. So again, am I overreacting, or should I expect a better piece? This was not cheap - currently the most expensive single part I've ordered for the car.

Filler neck area:
View attachment 89154View attachment 89155View attachment 89156View attachment 89157

Edge damage:
View attachment 89158View attachment 89159

Ding and interior of tank:
View attachment 89160View attachment 89161
You are NOT overreacting!!! That tank is worthless. Who knows what other damage there is that you can't see. My opinion, the tank is seriously compromised. You ordered and paid for expensive new. Demand new and spit polished perfect. Take nothing less. Surface rust on the inside is not normal. The tank is not coupe.

Assume you put the tank on plastic. You are covered. If Atlanta does not make it right, immediately go the the credit card company. I did this recently with an $800. piece of furniture from Crate and Barrel. Visa did everything with the info I supplied. Credit appeared on next statement. Confirmed on the following statement.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I received a reply from Michael Bennett of BMW of South Atlanta this morning. He writes that they will order another tank from Germany, and apologized for this first experience. It was a very welcomed response, and I will keep you all up to date on the progress of this. I hope that, in the end, I end up with a nice, new, undamaged tank.

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Sounds like a good resolution is on the way. Apart from the extra wasted time of course.
I have to say I have always had good customer service from South Atlanta.