UK Gp2 3.5 CSL Batmobile Build

foxworth

Reaction score
Hi All,

just an intro as have just embarked on a build of a group 2 CSL racer using a car that is sort of half way there already. Bought this last month and already planning the works to improve!!

Thought I'd share a pic as expect to be tapping into some knowledge here in future if that's ok ;o)

cheers

foxworth

Reaction score
Thanks! Yes I think this is referred to as the 69 bubble arch kit. I'm looking to build something like the following. Car is heading off to have this kit fitted in a couple of weeks time:-

foxworth

Reaction score
Currently an M30 3.2 on 45 Webers. Needs a rebuild as was only showing 75psi on a compression test ( I am told these should be at least 120 (?))

Am potentially looking at boring it to 3.5, then going for a semi race spec with alpina b10 cam, 6 branch etc etc. Would be aiming for ~300+hp with 300+lbft. Just looking for a decent builder in the UK.....Please share your experiences!!

foxworth

Reaction score
Mr/Mrs moderator, pls feel free to move this to the projects thread as you see fit.

foxworth

Reaction score
The car is now with the builder and it seems all is not great along the sills and A-pillars (surprise surprise!). This is a long term project so am looking at stripping it back to the bones and building it back up from scratch with a full acid dip, fabricated repair and electrolyte treatment before complete repaint. White on the outside, black for inside and engine bay.

foxworth

Reaction score
Changed my mind from the works livery as the end goal, and potentially thinking of an Alpina Faltz replica look:

foxworth

Reaction score
Chris and co are doing the stripdown/repair/dip and repaint for me. We agreed we'll get to a stage where the shell is pucker, then look at where we go from there.

This is one Chris shared with me when we were discussing which kit to go for:-

foxworth

Reaction score
Car being acid dipped in Dudley this week then into 'custom cages' in Feb after repairing the necessary chassis bits for an FIA/MSA cage. Will post pics as I get some [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

foxworth

Reaction score
Car back from acid dipping last week and obviously needed some more repairs than initially anticipated. Some horrid previous repairs done, but hey at least I actually got a shell back (I had nightmares of them just delivering me a cardboard box of what was left of the shell!).

Good news is that a lot of the body shell parts are still available from BMW so getting those ordered up this week. What I'll spend in parts I'll ultimately save in fabrication costs so I'm hoping this is the right route to take.

A few pics for you. Thanks for reading, will keep you posted as the parts go back together.

cheers

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
BMW isn't the only supplier of body parts for your car. Walloth und Nesch have many parts of good quality.
https://www.wallothnesch.com/en/
You'll have better shipping costs than to here in the USA.

I've taken other cars I've restored down to the bare metal, but I probably won't be doing that for my 2800cs. Good luck with yours.

Ian

foxworth

Reaction score
Ian, Gary thanks for the comments. My bro works at BMW at the moment so anything I can get from there I am! Had heard of walloth and will check them for the parts that BMW cannot provide. Cheers

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Which kit is that red car? I like it a lot!

As far as engine building, I would seriously look into a turbo M90 engine if you want to keep it in the M30 family of engines. Lots of potential to 450hp.

foxworth

Reaction score
Which kit is that red car? I like it a lot!

As far as engine building, I would seriously look into a turbo M90 engine if you want to keep it in the M30 family of engines. Lots of potential to 450hp.

Yes. The owner of the red car is following this thread and has been very helpful so far in helping me decide direction etc. Will let him comment. This is a 73 if I'm not mistaken. It's the same kit I have bought anyway. As used on the works liveried racers in 72/73.

Didn't know there was an m90 I thought all the 12 valves were called m30. Will take a look [emoji106]