UK Gp2 3.5 CSL Batmobile Build

foxworth

Reaction score
A few pics of the 99% finished cage job. Haven't seen in the flesh yet but certainly looks good from what I received in terms of pics from the guys:-
Next stop back up to Hull to the builder for some final panel work etc on the rear quarters before back down to the midlands for an SPL ecoat.

Then it's back up to Hull to have the Gp 2 kit fitted and to start discussing paintwork and next steps in terms of component rebuild.

cheers

foxworth

Reaction score
Brief update - Have been waiting for months for an e-coat at SPL but seems they are unsure of when they are able to gain access to the factory plant they use to get their work done, so after sitting for several months I opted for Prostrip in Nottingham, and the car is there now for a redip to remove surface corrosion, then an e-coat to make it ready for kit fitting and painting.

I'll post some pics when I get some. Hoping things now start moving along again and some exciting stuff begins!

cheers

Honolulu

Reaction score
Interesting to see three of the cage tubes on each side are tied to the top of the shock towers. I assume you had those towers significantly reinforced... how so..?

foxworth

Reaction score
More pics and vids from August trip. Test fitting everything we need to before paint. Exciting as it starts to get very close to painting....

foxworth

Reaction score
Paint will be white on the outside, black on the inside. Livery undecided. Recommendations welcome!

Decided on LH Owen for the engine build. Will take a box of M30 bits and my M90 block/84mm crank there in the coming weeks for assessment and plan of action. Hoping to go 3.5L on 48 Webers.

Brakes etc will be period historic AP's either 2279 or 2270 on the front and 2271 on the rear. Hoping to get Martin at Reyland to do these for me.
https://www.apracing.com/product_de...2279-closed_backed_caliper-ø44.5mm_bores.aspx

Now just assessing which suspension components and subframes to go with. Expect to build it back up using fairly stock E9 underside, with some coilovers that came on teh car when i bought it for now. Costs have been massive on this project so it would be nice to have a cost-holiday, enjoy the car for a year or two then get back to modifying suspension etc as required in the near future.

Wheels will be BBS E50 16".

Input welcome. Next update will hopefully be a painted shell!

cheers

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Damn that looks like top work! Congratulations.

I notice you left the holes for the front bumpers but not for the back ones... I'm guessing that is going to be for tow hooks? If so, why only in the front? You never know which way you will be pointing once stuck in those sand traps... ;)

foxworth

Reaction score
Damn that looks like top work! Congratulations.

I notice you left the holes for the front bumpers but not for the back ones... I'm guessing that is going to be for tow hooks? If so, why only in the front? You never know which way you will be pointing once stuck in those sand traps... ;)

Good point, I'll double check that - I definitely have 2 hooks, one for each end so not sure why it's not pre-cut.

cheers!

michelk

Site Donor
Reaction score
Car back from acid dipping last week and obviously needed some more repairs than initially anticipated. Some horrid previous repairs done, but hey at least I actually got a shell back (I had nightmares of them just delivering me a cardboard box of what was left of the shell!).

Good news is that a lot of the body shell parts are still available from BMW so getting those ordered up this week. What I'll spend in parts I'll ultimately save in fabrication costs so I'm hoping this is the right route to take.

A few pics for you. Thanks for reading, will keep you posted as the parts go back together.

cheers

hello also for bodyparts www.bmwclassiccar.com
regards