What did you do to your E9 today?

coupedegrace

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thes

These are the vintage gutter rail mounts from Thule. They use the gutter rail and the roof as support. I honestly don’t know when I got them but I have had them for over 30 years when had used them with my VW golf and the 2002 from a long time ago. The tandem is long and unwieldy but the front swings out and so it is not too bad to load.
Nice. Distributing some of the weight on the roof too is probably smart. I still have my Yakima gutter mount towers that I purchased in the late 80s for use on a 2002. They sit completely in the gutters.

TodB

Reaction score
Painted the plastic chrome vertical pieces of the fender grills flat black. I never liked seeing those parts since I changed from black to chrome. After seeing how nice Chris' work turned out,it was time to paint my own with Rustoleum regular paint and a fine brush.
Wow, that looks awesome! What did you do to prep the surface you painted?

coupedegrace

Site Donor
Reaction score
Packed and loaded to drive to the Vintage 2022. First a stop at the Ark. I figure if it will make it that far, then it should make it all the way. Plan is to go tandem mountain biking in Knoxville tomorrow on the way there.
You're famous - or at least your car is!

Screen Shot 2022-06-07 at 9.11.10 PM.png

gazzol

Reaction score
Changed the gearbox oil because it was far too easy to catch out the 2nd gear synchro because the baulk ring is clearly worn out. The best solution is to replace the worn out parts but I wanted to wait till winter when the car is off the road. Anyway I dropped the old oil out which I suspect it was EP90 which has caused the wear and replaced it with non EP SAE 140 oil and it's worked a treat, no more crunching.

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Where did you get those ? Mines busted.
The reinforcement bracket is from Coupe King.

The upper door handles are only available in black.

Laldog

Site Donor
Reaction score
Spent way too much time putting in the rocker panel trim (both sides)

Extreme thanks to BavBob for his tip about using o-rings to help the clips "grab" the trim...tried it without them and wasted 2 hours of precious coupe time.
Certainly not perfect, but not bad for a car approaching 50 years.

Attachments

• IMG_9059.jpg
    IMG_9059.jpg
    487.2 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_9058.jpg
    IMG_9058.jpg
    353.7 KB · Views: 102

Bert Poliakoff

Site Donor
Reaction score
Nothing against Coupe King (they do provide hard to get parts) but $55 for those two simple pieces seems quite high.
Any of us that re pop parts, have to put up a bunch of "seed" money. Therefore price is a function of that. When I started doing the blue cloths to get to a cost where I could sell them at as fair a price as I could, I had to order 200+ of them The same as the valve adjusting tool I sell. I had to buy about $250 of them to get the guy even thinking about bending them for me

gazzol

Reaction score
Not today but last Sunday, fitted a new coolant tank. After fitting the individual throttle bodies things were a bit tight where the coolant tank was originally mounted so I put it on the other side of the engine bay however I was never happy with this situation. So I bought an alloy vertical one and put it behind the left side headlight on the radiator panel.
IMG_20220619_123816_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220619_123856.jpg
IMG_20220619_123941_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220619_141233_HDR.jpg

Wobdog

a.k.a Mike
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
4 fun easy projects Thanks to SF Don for the parts and advise
1- Took out the gas tank exhaust trap
2-Rerouted it out back
3- Installed new gas tank cover, with some minor modifications
4- Installed the large tote

I was not planning on putting in a tote due to the price, but I really LOVE it and was worth the price. THANKS DON for having all the parts in stock.

Attachments

• IMG_4199.jpg
    IMG_4199.jpg
    500.9 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_4197.jpg
    IMG_4197.jpg
    332.7 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_4198.jpg
    IMG_4198.jpg
    408.9 KB · Views: 95

Patton

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Made a trip to the grocery store without the Megasquirt system acting up.
Later, at the next start-up it was hit or miss with the programming.

Getting closer to completion.

RP

gazzol

Reaction score
Made a trip to the grocery store without the Megasquirt system acting up.
Later, at the next start-up it was hit or miss with the programming.

Getting closer to completion.

RP
I hope you get it sorted, have you had it mapped professionally?