What did you do to your E9 today?

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
Drove my Coupe over to Rick Stephenson's place in Port Moody today. Had a close look at the 2002ti he has done a full restoration on, and it is finally nearing completion. His work is amazing! Totally correct, plus his work incorporates many clever upgrades along the way. From custom dying carpet binding and Recaros to individual relays for driving lights/headlights, all tucked away cleanly, all kinds of plating, aluminum parts polished like mirrors and hidden modern audio upgrades tucked away in the trunk all secured with rubber insulation in a custom frame. I could go on, but what I saw was some very fine detail work. Excellent, Rick!

In other news, Rick was able to confirm I do have a small exhaust leak, so I can move forward with replacing the original manifolds with the Stahl headers I removed from a Euro E23 couple of years ago! And I was pleased to hear he felt my valve adjustment was done right, whew!

Oh, and yes, once hood is open, Rick just has to get in there and work his magic at the most obvious deficiencies he notices, today he got my idle settled. Thanks Rick! Mike
tempImagervCJZ7.png

Patton

Site Donor $
Reaction score
hey Robert, old school is a US shaped badge with no space between BMW + CCA.
Scott, I’m a dummy, got it backwards…Big goof-up. Sorry.
Regardless, I’ve got one of those.

Let me search, find it and install it on the car!

RP

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
Prep to the LOTA-East included an oil change with Valvoline 20W50 high zinc synthetic racing oil. It is blue colored. I have always used Amsoil in my other vehicles and decided to use the Valvoline synthetic this time. Has anyone else used this?
I also replaced a leaking oil filter housing gasket.

Attachments

• IMG_1964.jpg
    IMG_1964.jpg
    297.3 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_1965.jpg
    IMG_1965.jpg
    306.3 KB · Views: 97

wkohler

Site Donor
Reaction score
Prep to the LOTA-East included an oil change with Valvoline 20W50 high zinc synthetic racing oil. It is blue colored. I have always used Amsoil in my other vehicles and decided to use the Valvoline synthetic this time. Has anyone else used this?
I’ve been using VR1 for years. Good stuff.

Attachments

• A6D56F03-A412-4D8C-8A21-C3B8CDE583CA.jpeg
    A6D56F03-A412-4D8C-8A21-C3B8CDE583CA.jpeg
    170.1 KB · Views: 94

Dan Wood

Site Donor
Reaction score
Replaced the AC thermostat which wasn't too bad.
Replaced my speedometer with a rebuilt correct one and that was a pain.
Then I put the accelerator pedal bushings (they were gone) in which made the speedometer a walk in the park.
Tomorrow putting it back together should be easy compared to the bushings and speedometer.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The 20-50 VR1 is synthetic? I thought it was conventional?

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
Here are pics of the 2 VR1 oil containers: I bought the synthetic on EBay,as I did for the conventional oil in the past.

Attachments

• IMG_1969.jpg
    IMG_1969.jpg
    353 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_1970.jpg
    IMG_1970.jpg
    362 KB · Views: 67

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
any particular reason you went synthetic?
Steve--I have used Amsoil synthetic oils and grease in a 5L V8 Ford Explorer that I owned for 25 years and over 200K miles. When the engine was rebuilt,no serious wear was found. I used Amsoil in my 3.0L X5 for 18 years w/o any engine problems. I used Amsoil gear oil in my 17 years owned Pontiac Bonneville positraction diff that cured a noise clunking problem. And I still use Amsoil synthetic wheel bearing grease in my boat trailer's wheels and have 34 years of trouble-free use.
Let's see how the 3.3L engine in the Coupe does. I would not have used it if it wasn't high zinc and 20W50 rated.