What did you do to your E9 today?

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
VSR discovered a little perforated rust when removing the fender top sound deadening. Not surprised and glad it was found. This is the final phase of Athena's rolling 3 year restoration.

Attachments

• DSCN4581[1].jpg
    DSCN4581[1].jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 190

decoupe

(deceased)
Reaction score
Did Mario say this could be repaired without removing the fender or does the multiple pieces and layers of metal mean off with the front? Yes I share the same issue but to a lesser extent.

Doug

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Mario said they could repair without removing the fender. They are going to cut the fender to expose the area instead. They did an excellent job with the rockers, so this will be done the same way.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Picked up my new (old) BBS RS wheels last weekend... Been polishing for 4 days on ONE LIP!!!

Outstanding. I have to say, one of the great things about this forum is that obsessive car behavior is normal and expected here!

decoupe

(deceased)
Reaction score
Mario said they could repair without removing the fender. They are going to cut the fender to expose the area instead. They did an excellent job with the rockers, so this will be done the same way.

That is encouraging to hear. Good luck and I wish VSR was a little closer.

Doug

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Picked up my new (old) BBS RS wheels last weekend... Been polishing for 4 days on ONE LIP!!!

If you have the space and interest, I have a great idea for a safe and cheap (under $80) DIY wheel polisher. I'm just going to have my wheels done since I found an inexpensive service ($65 a wheel).

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
For the first time in my coupe I shifted into 5th gear. After a month on blocks I took it for it's shake down run, the car shifts beautifully and the short throw UUC dog bone is amazing. This was the maintenance list:

-5 speed Getrag 265 install (4 weeks on my back with the car 10 inches from my face gets old quickly)
-Installed new shift selector, speedo drive, and front & rear tranny seals
-New clutch, pilot, throw out bearing, slave cylinder and fluid line
-Bell housing from e12
-M5 guibo, driveshaft from SFDon (thanks Don for all your help)
-Replaced front and rear crank oil seals
-Shimmed slack on oil pump chain, new sump gasket
-Put back original chain tensioner rail to replace crappy new one and to stop low idle knock
-New chain guide, sealed up upper and lower chain covers
-New water pump
-New fan clutch
-Replaced distributor drive (SFDon)
-Replaced head gasket (realized I was 14 bolts away from doing it so what the heck why not), Elring appears to be better quality than my previous Reinz
-Installed oil temp gauge into my dash cluster (replacing AFR gauge) and sender in oil pan plug
-Touched up front seats with Leatherique dye
-New shift boot from Coupeguy
-Detailed engine compartment and under carriage some
-Installed heat shield
-repainted exhaust but it needs to be replaced soon
-Repainted radiator, new hoses

My wife is glad all coupe items out of the house now, and my back hurts

Last edited:

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
You accomplished a lot in that month especially with all of things you did with motor still in the coupe, congrats! I empathize with the tranny efforts laying under the car, did that last year and still need to reinstall e3 trans, not fun.

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I'm sure one drive was enough to make you think "why didn't I do this long ago". Thankfully, my car had the 5 speed in it when I bought it last spring. Conversion was on my list if the 'right car' came along that still had a 4 speed in it.

Congratulations on completing a great upgrade to your car.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
She's glad the getrag is off the breakfast table, the seats are out of the dining room, the shift console off the dining table, arriving parts no longer stacking up in the foyer, etc. She's not glad about my back, although not much sympathy either!

Yes Gary K, the 5th shift was surreal, culmination of wanting to do this for a few years now and hearing about it from others. Now the 4 speed is garage art.

One casualty is now my clock has stopped, I am hoping it decides to wake back up on its own after being disconnected for a month.

I appreciate all the positive vibes, makes me contemplate the next project...

Steve - say what ??? your wife is glad ... your back hurts?

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
Got the time?

One casualty is now my clock has stopped, I am hoping it decides to wake back up on its own after being disconnected for a month.

I've taken a few of these clocks apart and there is a fusible link that can fail simply over time or if the mechanism gets dirty and pulls too much current. The contacts can also get dirty and simply not kick the solenoid into action to wind the spring. I got some synthetic clock oil to lubricate mine after cleaning the old oil off with some electronics cleaner. Then the speed has to be checked. Pretty simple, except for getting the clock out of the dash of course.

Ian

1970 2800CS awaiting resoration
blog at newian.me

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Steve, sounds like you covered all the bases with your work list, huge congrat's. Now your car should be ready for the trip to Monterey next August. Welcome to the 5 speed club.