'71 2800 CS Budget Resto

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm keeping the dash and euro gauges. The original wood looks great.

24862765906_2cd3959813_b.jpg

24792664191_67521b5e71_b.jpg

Was everyone an electrical engineer in the 80's?
24795601021_2b1bfc9a3b_b.jpg

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I ordered a variable DC power supply. This will be used to test parts, and to power an electroplating tub. I wanted one that goes up to 30a but I didn't want to spend $150. This one was $50, but I won't factor it in to my project budget. It should come in handy for household tasks, testing the kid toys, etc.

24819068571_24b0f024aa_o.jpg

I also picked up a paint gauge tester per recommendation of Chris. Cost was $20, but I won't factor this tool into my project budget.
24912424555_2750db1251_n.jpg

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
actually my mistake, are the crossovers from the silver or red car?

These are from the silver car. More widgets under the rear seats also. That's my point. Both of my cars have interesting audio junk in them. The red coupe will kill a battery in a day, so something is going on. I had to steal the battery out of my jeep to move the red one.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Well I'm getting a lot of e9 activity in, but nothing on my project car. Mostly learning about how they are put together while dismantling my parts car.

So I have an obsession with all wheels, be it 5x120's or steering wheels. I spend a lot of time in front of the computer waiting for database code to run, which is why I post a lot of ads that I find in the FS section.

Out with the old:
17021057809_1e88c6c9c5_b.jpg

In with the new ('83 Nardi - $120): Dirty in this pic - cleans up nice!
25941330654_777c3937a4_b.jpg

This is a 390mm Nardi is from 1983 (Thanks for the help on that Hans). I picked it up for $120 on CL. It's from an old Jag, and still has Nardi Hub 4030 bolted to it. I plan to sell the hub for $40, which is slightly below going rate. That leaves me with an '80. I like the black spokes. Although the sunlight makes the wood look much brighter than interior conditions, it's a close match to my dash wood. I gain another 2" in wheel diameter, and the grip is much thinner. I'm going to hang onto the old Momo for a bit, it is from the mid 70's. I also plan to use the Momo hub with a $10 adapter ring for the Nardi.

I'm going to keep my eyes out for a deal on a Nardi horn button.

Total Spend: $5,963

I need to sell some wheels!

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
regarding battery drainage

OK, as I have stated before I am no electrician, however a couple of friends are and we found an interesting drain; this may be unique to my car but I kept the old voltage regulator hooked into the wiring system and am running a more modern alternator with the regulator inside. There is a relay above the hood release lever that when unplugged stopped the drain- it was also warm- I'm not sure what the relay is meant to do but the car can sit for a week and start no problem but before that 2 days and it was time to recharge. All other electrical functions work as they should.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
OK, as I have stated before I am no electrician, however a couple of friends are and we found an interesting drain; this may be unique to my car but I kept the old voltage regulator hooked into the wiring system and am running a more modern alternator with the regulator inside. There is a relay above the hood release lever that when unplugged stopped the drain- it was also warm- I'm not sure what the relay is meant to do but the car can sit for a week and start no problem but before that 2 days and it was time to recharge. All other electrical functions work as they should.

In my car there are two relays there. One is for the wipers and the other is the load shedding relay. The load shedding relay has a metal case. It is designed to disengage a handful of circuits while the starter is operating. I had a problem with my load shedding relay after my voltage regulator went and I was running with over 19 volts for a little while. If your relay is warm its shot. I got a replacement from Double02.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hey Markos -- if you have a tach or speedo that you don't need, I may be interested. It doesn't need to work. The outer ring on my speedo is all chewed up and I am seeking a part to replace it.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hey Markos -- if you have a tach or speedo that you don't need, I may be interested. It doesn't need to work. The outer ring on my speedo is all chewed up and I am seeking a part to replace it.

I will likely have one in the distant future. The black rings are all peeling on the red car cluster. The tach is sticking also when I drive. The cluster in the CSI is euro, and in good shape. I plan to swap the whole cluster.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I will likely have one in the distant future. The black rings are all peeling on the red car cluster. The tach is sticking also when I drive. The cluster in the CSI is euro, and in good shape. I plan to swap the whole cluster.

Keep me in mind please. The sticking tach might be exactly what I am seeking.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Keep me in mind please. The sticking tach might be exactly what I am seeking.

Will do! PM me any time. I probably won't mess with the dash until July at the earliest.

Small parts hoarding update. I picked up a solid hub and trim ring for the Nardi. I was planning on using the Momo hub with an adapter but I stumbled upon this. It seemed like a good deal since the trim rings are $60 new. All I need is a horn button, and a driver worthy of the sharp looking wheel. :)

Nardi/Personal Hub and trim ring: $125 shipped.
26679498096_4924bfb255_b.jpg

Total Spend: $6,088

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Minor update. I sold the jaguar hub for $40, bringing my vintage Nardi purchase price to $80. $205 with hub and trim ring. I test fitted my Momo horn button and it will do the trick after I redrill the bolt holes on the Momo retainer ring. I'm going to sell the Momo hub for $40 since the Nardi hub is more period correct and I don't need two hubs. If I decide to run a Momo wheel in future an adapter ring is under $20.

Total Spend: $6,048

In with the new ('83 Nardi - $120): Dirty in this pic - cleans up nice!
25941330654_777c3937a4_b.jpg

This is a 390mm Nardi is from 1983 (Thanks for the help on that Hans). I picked it up for $120 on CL. It's from an old Jag, and still has Nardi Hub 4030 bolted to it. I plan to sell the hub for $40, which is slightly below going rate. That leaves me with an '80. I like the black spokes. Although the sunlight makes the wood look much brighter than interior conditions, it's a close match to my dash wood. I gain another 2" in wheel diameter, and the grip is much thinner. I'm going to hang onto the old Momo for a bit, it is from the mid 70's. I also plan to use the Momo hub with a $10 adapter ring for the Nardi.

I'm going to keep my eyes out for a deal on a Nardi horn button.

Total Spend: $5,963

I need to sell some wheels!

Last edited:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
These updates are a bit tedious I suppose but sticking to the plan of tracking financials...

Sold my Momo hub to Bert for $43 shipped. Momo hubs only cost about $10 to ship USPS priority.

Total Spend: $6,015

Last edited:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I picked up a few local parts today. Some to keep, some to flip. Although I have almost zero tools in the clamshell, my CSI came with a factory jack, and I now have the lug wrench. I don't intend to fill the clamshell anytime soon, but I will if some tools fall into my lap.

Brass Coolant Tank, Tan Ashtrays, Heyco lug wrench, 4 Klipan seatbelts, chrome seat rail cover, 2 can relays and bases. $30

26712593333_d3a8f99b1d_b.jpg

Total Spend: $6,045

Last edited:

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Markos, I think we all find the build and financials of great value so although it is a bit tedious I'm encouraging you to continue, the records are valuable to us and may prove very valuable in terms of $$ regarding the documentation in the future for you. Thanks for the diligence!