'71 2800 CS Budget Resto

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I picked up a few local parts today. Some to keep, some to flip. Although I have almost zero tools in the clamshell, my CSI came with a factory jack, and I now have the lug wrench. I don't intend to fill the clamshell anytime soon, but I will if some tools fall into my lap.

Brass Coolant Tank, Tan Ashtrays, Heyco lug wrench, 4 Klipan seatbelts, chrome seat rail cover, 2 can relays and bases. $30

Total Spend: $6,045

Update: I should have kept them because they were so nice, but I sold the ashtrays for $103 shipped. I started at $15 with no reserve and free shipping. I don't think the buyer frequents this board. 2 day shipping was $11.

Total Spend: $5,953

I bought a 1971 green letter WA license plate to re-register the car as a historic. I don't plan to 'officially' track registration in this thread. However, the plate was $80 and it costs about $60 to register. The good thing about historic plates is that you never need to renew the tabs.

Top of mind for me are finishing my sloooow part out, refinishing my wheels, buying tires, and new brake lines. My car pulls to the left. Don and I discussed and he recommended that I start with new flexible lines.

Last edited:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
What's wrong with this picture?

27708831472_e9d66cf354_b.jpg

27254863324_73ea7427e7_b.jpg

Drove my coupe just a little bit and now it's in the driveway temporarily. I picked up a vintage license plate frame. I thought I would repaint the blue to a more subtle color. I didn't realize from the Ebay ad that it has a zinc coating, not chrome.

Local BMW frame: $13
27832288236_5f94c78d5c_b.jpg

I also jumped in on Stan's tail light project. The tails from the parts CSI are good enough for my car, but the lenses on the target car are pretty beat up. The picture below doesn't fully display the stress fractures in the signal lenses.

Replacement Lenses for these beat up tails: $257
27589503860_cd37e64015_b.jpg

Total Spend: $6,222

I'm about to spend a lot of money on something I shouldn't. Definitely going over my comfort level on budget but I can't resist.

Last edited:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Total Spend: $6,222

I'm about to spend a lot of money on something I shouldn't. Definitely going over my comfort level on budget but I can't resist.

Finance Update:

I purchased an open-box unused Redline Triple Weber DCOE 40 kit for $900 plus shipping. I didn't need it, and initial setup will be a headache, but DCOE's have been something I've always wanted on a car, going back to my 16v VW days...

27945583160_2ee88614e6_b.jpg

28135286455_25841b75b9_b.jpg

In other news, I confirmed that my car has the original 2.8 block. The Webers may be a bit much for this block. I plan to keep the 3.0CSI motor from my parts car since nobody seems to want it. The block and head didn't affect my estimate on breaking even on my parts car. This will also give me the option to work on a motor and keep the other one going.

Total Spend: $7,162

Last edited:

MyFemurHurts

Reaction score
You had 16V VW days? I had 16V VW days! Did we just become best friends? :mrgreen:

That's a lot of carb for a 2.8. I'm running 32/36's and a 300* cam, and off the cam I have too much carb. Damn these puny engines.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
You had 16V VW days? I had 16V VW days! Did we just become best friends? :mrgreen:

That's a lot of carb for a 2.8. I'm running 32/36's and a 300* cam, and off the cam I have too much carb. Damn these puny engines.

I also have 32/36's. I'm pretty sure I have an aftermarket cam based on the conversation from the previous owner. I will investigate this summer. Either way I'll find an engine to fit the carbs. :) As mentioned I hope that it is my 3.0 CSI motor with 10:1 compression. I'm quite a ways away from inspecting that one though.

I'm secretly disappointed that Inhave the original block. That means I need to store it somewhere. :)

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
the 40 model triples are fine for a 2.8 as long as they are choked at 32 or 34mm max. My VGS racing manifold that holds my triples was orignally for a 2.8

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I picked up a 2800CS Owner's Manual in fair/poor shape for $21 shipped. It's far from perfect, and it's for an Auto - but I don't have one. This rounds out the documentation, as the car came with blue books.

27514945774_af3bfaf100_b.jpg

I'm selling my 20 spoke FPS wheels to a member so I'll be backing $300 out of the spend this week.

I'm wrapping up a month-long dining room remodel effort and the drywall goes up this weekend. Hope to get more coupe time in and sell some CSI parts. I also plan to remove the rocker covers from the project car to inspect. I've already run an inspection camera down the inside, but I'd like to look at the outer rockers also.

Total Spend: $7,183

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Markos,

Owners manuals cover both manual and auto, they aren't unique to just one, that is why both are listed on the cover.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Markos,

Owners manuals cover both manual and auto, they aren't unique to just one, that is why both are listed on the cover.

Doh! I get it now. Come to think of it I've never owned a manual that wasn't annoyingly generic. Thanks for clarifying Chris!

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm selling my 20 spoke FPS wheels to a member so I'll be backing $300 out of the spend this week.

Shipping the wheels this week.

I picked up used headrests for $20. Edit - FREE, thank you kind member
28280834876_092210f76f_k.jpg

I also purchased a used custom fit cover craft cover made from the breathable NOAH fabric. $170.

Total Spend: $7,053

Last edited:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
those look very nice Mark - great buy on the headrests

Many thanks to a generous member for the deal on the headrests! They were pretty dirty but I quickly scrubbed them with a scotch brite pad and applied some Lexol.

Diameter of the rods changed, be sure those fit your seats. The earlier 2800CS didn't have the "ears" like these.

Good info, I didn't know the rods changed. My 2800 seats don't have the ears, and I am quite fond of the extra detail that the later headrests provide. The CSI is. '73 and has no headrests. I kind of like the minimalist look but I know I will want headrests while driving.

I plan to use the '73 rear seats. The leather is nice enough for me to dye them from blue to black. I will either stick with the '73 fronts or combine the set. The front seat bases are pretty tired on both cars. No matter what, I'll be taking the best chrome from the fronts so disassembly is inevitable.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I also purchased a used custom fit cover craft cover made from the breathable NOAH fabric. $170. The wrinkles have mostly worked their way out.

The car cover fits great. It feels like an interior cover, nice and lightweight. I'll use it in the garage as well, at least until I paint it.

28157261260_ca865e17a2_b.jpg

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I removed the giant bosal exhaust tip off my car a week or two ago. This just happened to popup in the forum classifieds.

60mm OD exhaust tip, 80mm long. The appropriate tip is 100mm long and the seller (member) dropped the price to $40. My CS should have a 55mm exhaust but I have a complete 60mm exhaust on my sacrificial CSI.

image.jpeg

Total Spend: $7,093

Last edited:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
A previous owner reached out to me. Great to be in contact and get some history on the car!

Hi Markos,

I once owned your CS back in the 80's and early 90's. I did a lot of work on it, rebuilt the engine, transmission, drive train, suspension, carbs, fuel tank, struts, body work, paint......on and on... Anyway, I spoke to my friend mark99 who gave my your email to share a couple of photos of it back in the day.

We started to have kids, and the stupid logic bug took over and I had to get rid of it, so I sold it to a friend, who so after passed away. Evidently, his older brother took it and just parked it for who knows how long. Anyway, I'm glad that it's got a good home. With that much exposure, I'm sure that some rust has worked it's way back. When I sold it, it was rust free!! I still miss it to this day. A very nice cruiser that you can also stomp on and get a good response. Whatever you do, do not put Zenith carbs back on it. You will regret it! I found a few shots, none of which do it justice, but they are what I have. Good luck.

previous owner

28493013055_19c7e1a533_b.jpg

27877395003_cd613affe2_b.jpg

28493013145_e907f98156_b.jpg

Last edited: