'71 2800 CS Budget Resto

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
1970's speaker grills. Another low priority item
but I stumbled across them. I had a car without a radio in the past and I decided that I don't want to relive that experience. I thought that the chrome trim line fit the interior well.

6x9 Speaker Grills: $26
23021649309_946c42ed9c_b.jpg

Total Spend: $5,268

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
quite a few of us on the east coast have opted for a period correct radio tha looks good but does not sound great and have used a Jambox (or similar) and the cell phone to stream Pandora or music from iPod. The upside is you have music even when parked, if your parcel shelf is not cut, you can keep it pristine, and you can eliminate the antenna.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
quite a few of us on the east coast have opted for a period correct radio tha looks good but does not sound great and have used a Jambox (or similar) and the cell phone to stream Pandora or music from iPod. The upside is you have music even when parked, if your parcel shelf is not cut, you can keep it pristine, and you can eliminate the antenna.

Hey Stan,

That would have been my first choice. My parcel shelf looks like Swiss cheese unfortunately. I'm thinking maybe a small amp with a Bluetooth receiver, and a period radio for aesthetics.

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I use a US spec Blaupunkt I bought from a forum member. It's period correct and works well hooked up to 5 speakers, 2 in parcel shelf, 2 in kick panels and the dash center.. I have a cable that plugs into the back of the radio with a small male jack in the glove compartment that plugs into a small bluetooth adapter. Works great with my iphone.

Attachments

• Athena Radio.jpg
    Athena Radio.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 216

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I use a US spec Blaupunkt I bought from a forum member. It's period correct and works well hooked up to 5 speakers, 2 in parcel shelf, 2 in kick panels and the dash center.. I have a cable that plugs into the back of the radio with a small male jack in the glove compartment that plugs into a small bluetooth adapter. Works great with my iphone.

Looks good! I haven't seen a lot of older radios like that with a device hookup. I suppose that any radio can accept an input if you know what you are doing.

More importantly, tell me about those floor mats!!!

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Driver side is a wrong color aftermarket, passenger side is a cheap oriental carpet that the dealership where I bought the car put in. I going with black coco mats with blue dots to protect the original carpet.

Ulrich 3.0 CSA

Reaction score
Hello,

put in an 1974 Blaupunkt Bamberg CR (cassette player) in my 3.0 CSA

Top Radio from 1974, Top sound.
4 speakers
Also an Alpine CD-changer....hooked to the Blaupunkt radio.

For me the perfect solution

Ulrich

Attachments

• IMG_3929.jpg
    IMG_3929.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 211

MyFemurHurts

Reaction score
Mine has an Alpine head unit from the 90's with the worst looks and user interface ever.

I need a Becker Mexico with an aux in.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have origninal Becker Europa stereo through a fader then a power amp hidden under back seat then to the parcel and kick panel speakers installed by dealer. I stealth upgraded the speakers but kept the original grilles. The tape input is hooked to a wireless bluetooth receiver that I stream Spotify to.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
What started as a joke about shipping insurance fraud turned into a real experiment. The answer is yes, one can ship a windshield and have it arrive undamaged on the other end. Thank you aearch. More appropriately, THANK YOU!

I opted for a used OEM windscreen in great condition over one that just might not fit. I've read too many horror stories on here...

Windshield: $100
Greyhound: $100

22876908054_25fcbfd2fd_b.jpg

Total Spend: $5,468

I know these parts updates are pretty lame, but I'm using this thread for my personal record, to the dollar. I've felt a bit awkward about the claims of things that I will do with/to this car. I can say with confidence that with exception to getting the mail and taking out the trash, I do what I say I'm going to do. My brain is about six months ahead of my availability at any given point in time however. My only limitation is time.

Last edited:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Up until my gas tank cleaning all the pics would have been identical. Don't be fooled, these parts are simply accumulating. The windshield sets a new standard of "where the hell do I put this?".

I will be getting tires in January, which allows me to actually drive the car and identify non body related issues. If you recall a few pages back, I bought "rollers" but they were advertised incorrectly as 5x120. My current tires are beyond dangerous. The sidewalls look like the Nevada salt flats.

More actual car pics. My next mechanical update will be the throttle return spring.

Last edited:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I picked this up from a gracious member a few weeks back at a local gathering. I almost forgot to include!

Bumper Center: $80

23270017272_e489669a02_b.jpg

Total Spend: $5,548

Last edited:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
'71 Under Dash Panel. $150

Thanks forum member!

23465798389_dfd948a76b_b.jpg

Total Spend: $5,698

I haven't documented the $125 hat tray purchase from Don, as I am waiting on shipping. I am about $150 away from spending as much on parts as I did on the car. Meanwhile, the car sits unchanged, and my parts bin is shockingly small. I should be good to go on dash parts for now. I'm wondering if I should make my own carpet as a template. Heck I could even sew in the trim.

I need to sell some wheels soon. I like them, but the Vintage Enkei's are first on the list. I should be morning new rubber in January.

Last edited:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I picked up a glovebox and a few bits. Scott packed this up very well and quoted every shipment option. Shipping was pricey, the glovebox is a lot heavier than it looks!

Glovebox, badge, seat trim: $145 shipped
23760306193_246765a8b5_b.jpg

Total Spend: $5,843

Last edited:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I took an 8 hour TIG welding class on Saturday. Having never used a TIG before, I was surprised to learn how easy they are to pick up. I'm feeling more confident about the looming bodywork after spending time butt welding 18ga steel. This was with an Eastwood TIG 200, which is very reasonably priced.

My latest purchase. The intention to is to completely part the car, keeping the parts I want, and breaking even in the process. The CSI spend is $3,000 after Title fees, but I won't count it towards the total spend until I call it a day with the part out process. If I don't break even I'll add that to my spend and make credits to the spend if more parts sell. I don't want to track a bunch of debits and credits, confusing the project budget.

I will start a separate part out thread, which is where my focus will be for the next two months.

24859772976_60c9081c49_b.jpg