1970 2800CSA rust monster restomod

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
nylon straps are actually better as the dont tear up the finishes and are equally as strong as steel as i can attest too.

I made a similar comment when I saw your hoist setup. Anyway I get what you are saying. Good point about marring the finish. But there are dedicated pickup points that you can hook to without causing damage. Don has a pic on here somewhere. I have a 20’ nylon strap rated at 40K lbs but I wouldn’t use it with an engine hoist. :D

Anyway just a friendly observation, not trying to play Mr. Safety.

wizzurp

Reaction score
They definitely are plenty strong but if they end up touching something sharp it's game over. The most annoying thing about using nylon straps is the lack of rotational control. I'd take a load leveler with chains any day.

We had two people and weren't afraid to muscle it out a little so we went with it!

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
I made a similar comment when I saw your hoist setup. Anyway I get what you are saying. Good point about marring the finish. But there are dedicated pickup points that you can hook to without causing damage. Don has a pic on here somewhere. I have a 20’ nylon strap rated at 40K lbs but I wouldn’t use it with an engine hoist. :D

Anyway just a friendly observation, not trying to play Mr. Safety.

We cut the seat belts out of cars going to the scrap pile and use them for engine slings. Thousands of engines removed without any issues. (fingers crossed)

Last edited:

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I'm not sure where to find that.
Head date should be on driver's side, forward section of the head right behind the t-stat housing. Likely partially obscured by the front carb.
12-head date stamp.jpg

wizzurp

Reaction score
Dear Mr Wyatt,

Thank you for your email.

The BMW 2800 CS VIN 2204987 was manufactured on September 03rd, 1970 and delivered on September 17th, 1970 to the BMW dealer Schweitzer in Wiesbaden. The original colour was Polaris metallic, paint code 060.

We hope this information is helpful for you.

Yours sincerely,

Julia Oberndörfer

I got this back today, does this mean my car was a gray market import/not originally for us import?

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
It could very likely be a legally imported vehicle that was properly federalized upon entry to the US by a previous owner.

wizzurp

Reaction score
Had some lovely inspiration show up today, I haven't had much tinker time recently. Riding in this definitely made me want to get cracking!
20180505_173346.jpg

autowerks

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hey Wyatt,
It was a pleasure to meet you and check out your e9 project, your e9 has a lot of potential and with your talent it will be faster than your Z car in no time! Fast Z:)

wizzurp

Reaction score
updates ? :)
Had to have my appendix cut out, I've been taking it easy for awhile. I'll be back to tinkering here in a bit! It's like 100 degrees out here so it's pretty gross outside anyways. I need to get it out in my air conditioned shop so I can start media blasting it.

frogish

Reaction score
Dear Mr Wyatt,

Thank you for your email.

The BMW 2800 CS VIN 2204987 was manufactured on September 03rd, 1970 and delivered on September 17th, 1970 to the BMW dealer Schweitzer in Wiesbaden. The original colour was Polaris metallic, paint code 060.

We hope this information is helpful for you.

Yours sincerely,

Julia Oberndörfer

I got this back today, does this mean my car was a gray market import/not originally for us import?
Where/Who do I email to get this information?

Thank you

wizzurp

Reaction score
Whelp it has been awhile, I finally started tinkering on this again. I'm uploading a quick little video of the progress right now. I really need to start getting rid of parts I won't be using, I can't bring myself to throw them away though so I'll be making a cheapo parts thread under the classifieds if anyone sees something they may want. Proceeds will go straight towards getting this car back on the road!

I pulled the gas tank, got nasty 30 year old varnish all over my garage floor. It stunk up the entire house somehow so my wife is super pleased. I've been trying to figure out trim removal if anyone has any helpful guides to interior and other small parts removal. I'm going to be cutting out the trunk floor (what is left of it) and building a cage for a fuel cell since the oem tank is disgusting and unsuitable for repair.

I bought a grinder and a bunch of flap disks, they do a great job of paint removal, I think I'm going to do the roof first since it will require the least amount of repairs, I think the progress will get me going again.

I will link the video whenever that finishes, it's pretty dull but I have a lovely voice so I'm sure you want to watch it. The car only tried to give me tetanus a couple times today and may have succeeded, we shall see.

Pics of current mess:
IMG_20180906_162731_852.jpg
20180905_214546.jpg

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Look forward to the video. The sight of that bare metal gives me chills, especially assuming your weather's been wet like OKC. I have a pretty big dehumidifier in my garage and was shocked how quickly exposed E9 metal starts to turn. My wife has twice exposed metal on my Tacoma that lives outside, and I can leisurely get around to covering it up. Different story with this thing.