Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
The Becker shaft mount radios are Universal models and harder to find as Mercedes used exclusively the DIN mount radios all through the sixties and seventies. You can’t convert DIN mount to the shaft mount faceplate either.

Yeah they are very different. So the universal models were available along with the DIN style?

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Well this turned into a neat little Becker radio expedition. Obviously my initial research wasn't detailed enough. My apologies for speaking out of turn. Thanks to @teahead, @Stevehose , and @HB Chris for helping to set the record straight on the shaft vs DIN style Beckers. The conclusion is that they absolutely overlapped. So both are period correct and both shaft style and DIN style are a good option for BMW's. The face plate is a good option for somoene who has a nice becker europa from the 70's but doesn't want to hack up an original metal face plate. Also, if I get my hands on the shaft style Becker radio I'll see if I can snug up the face plate fitment.

I found a good post on Pelican that backs up the info that Chris posted. It also has a link to a great Becker site with a visual roledex of radios by year.

This radio for sale is a 1970 model based on the "G" prefix. Alpha prefix for identifying years, this should help:

C='66 D='67 E='68 F='69 G='70 H='71/'72 J='73 K='74 L='75 M='76 N='77 P='78

No alpha prefix prior to 1966, note the letters "I" and "O" are not used because of being similar to numbers.
reference: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-used-parts-sale-wanted/955702-1970-becker-europa.html

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Ready to print:

778F5929-F3A1-4113-973C-DC4F0BB3019F.png

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
That'll fit all double din?

It’s definitely not a double-DIN. It looks close to a single but I would need to verify the dimensions. I made it specifically for the 70’s Beckers and I’m not sure if that set the standard for single DIN or not. Keep you posted!

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
oops, I meant standard single DIN.

Update. DIN was adopted as an ISO standard in 1984, long after the full size Becker came about. My radio is a very snug fit at 181.5 mm X 52.5mm. The DIN standard is 180mm X 50mm.

So in short, yes it will accommodate all DIN radios. All modern radios come with installation kits and spring clips that keep the radio snug. The extra 1.5mm - 2.5mm if room shouldn’t be a concern.

Decent option for those that want a DIN radio. However, you can also find a modified original face plate for around $200 or so if you look (or ask) around.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Well the printing estimates are in. Almost $500 to print with my existing method. I fell back to shapeways. Which can do an ABS print for $280. ABS will work well and stepping isn’t an issue. Very few folks will buy these. I can sell them for $350 and use the margin to recover the modeling fees if this part and others, that still need revisions.

I printed the AC duct at a 50% scale with “sandstone”, which came out to $40 plus shipping. I’ll use this to test the part.

I can also change the model to only print the critical angles and corners, with no flat portions inside. Then one could plastic weld or glue in ABS sheet.

The AC face plate has paid for itself. The margin on that goes back into the project car.

Sill fiddling with the rounded gasket. My modeler is currently traveling.

Paul Baker

Site Donor
Reaction score
My ignition covers finally arrived.

The FDM printing in ABS was a flop (as warned by printer). I learned a bit about the vast resolution difference between FDM and SLS. I will be sticking with Vinyl and other materials for now.

The font on the Vinyl lock cover turned out well. I have some visible stepping on the cover face which is surprising. I haven’t run into that yet. I think it was because they didn’t post process the part. I will lightly sand off the stepping. I’m going to add some
more dye. The dye penetrates .25mm. Depending on how it looks I might hit it with satin paint. This area sees a lot of abuse from the key. Polished aluminum would look interesting! :D

Overall the part looks good but fits a little loose. I will need to revisit fitment. The part looks
visibly ‘off’ from the e12 cover. My modeler
has the e9 cover so I can’t compare at the moment. I don’t know about the interest in this one so I don’t want to iterate too much.

View attachment 38719

View attachment 38720

View attachment 38721
Hi Markos. Do you happen to have the file/drawing for the 3d print of these parts? Paul

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Markos. Do you happen to have the file/drawing for the 3d print of these parts? Paul

Hi Paul,

I have the file available for the ignition cover, which needs revision. You can definitely make it work, perhaps with a dab of RTV to hold it in place. Otherwise determine what needs to change and have a modeler fix as needed. I also have the files for the AC side vent covers file. Shoot me a PM.

Paul Baker

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Paul,

I have the file available for the ignition cover, which needs revision. You can definitely make it work, perhaps with a dab of RTV to hold it in place. Otherwise determine what needs to change and have a modeler fix as needed. I also have the files for the AC side vent covers file. Shoot me a PM.
Hi Markos. I did send you a PM, did you receive my email address ok? Paul

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score