3D Printing: AC Face Plate & Console Vent Covers

Discussion in 'E9 Projects and Restorations' started by Markos, Jun 17, 2016.

1. Stan

Stan Well-Known Member Site Donor

View My Garage
    http://www.qcpent.com

Quaker City Plating

Thank you OCCoupe

2. duct-tape

duct-tape Active Member

after reading all 17 pages, I dont understand why you haven't just bought a 3d printer. lol
    I bought one on black friday for 50% off. I taught myself the modeling with fusion360.

You've got some great stuff going here

3. Markos

Markos Parts Hoarder Staff Member Site Donor $$

View My Garage
    Well I could teach myself to model but I’m honestly too busy. With what little free time I have, I really would like to restore my car instead of making parts for other people. :) As far as printing, the cheapest printer to do what I am doing now is $7-$10K. That is a lot of money for someone who has no 3D modeling skills.

4. duct-tape

duct-tape Active Member

I was looking for a larger one recently because the one I got is a monoprice mini. prints 6x6x6
    the folger tech ft5 is only $400 and prints 12x12x16
    and the HE 3D K280 – MEGA DELTA is like $350 and prints 11x11x24

edit, but I totally understand not being into learning the modelling and time involved. I'm the same

5. autokunst

autokunst Well-Known Member Site Donor $

I am not an expert in the 3D printer market, but I believe that in addition to size capacity, there are matters of resolution and also media options (limitations with some machines). I think this is where the machines quickly range from hundreds to thousands.
    I am contacted often by 3D printing companies for my office. But I've never liked the resolution or appearance of the results. We still simply make basswood, chipboard, or acrylic models for our needs. I realize that doesn't solve the e9 parts production, but it is that tactility of making (not experienced with the printers) that we love. :)

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    Markos likes this.
  6. Markos

View My Garage
    Yes I am doing nearly all of my prints in SLS vinyl. The resolution of an expensive high resolution FDM printer running ABS compared to SLS vinyl is like comparing a dot matrix printer to a laser printer. Things are changing fast - too fast for me to even consider a printer. The files are stustainable IP, but you can continue to let the printing technology mature.

7. duct-tape

duct-tape Active Member

agreed on the print quality, but I find that there is some simple finish work when it comes to resolution. I bought my cheap printer to learn on, but I've coated a piece with fill primer, a quick hit with sandpaper and some paint over it will produce a glassy finish. Ive also used a heat gun on PLA to smooth it out in a few seconds.

There's no way I'd afford or be willing to invest in a SLS machine, I'll leave that to the pros. I like the idea of using my filament using to make castable parts

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  8. Markos

View My Garage
    All good points. I sand the Vinyl also. The main reason why I don’t use ABS is because the melting point is lower, and the resolution is lower. I will be using it for the roundel gasket though.

I will be casting some parts in the next month or so.