duct-tape

Site Donor
Reaction score
after reading all 17 pages, I dont understand why you haven't just bought a 3d printer. lol
I bought one on black friday for 50% off. I taught myself the modeling with fusion360.

You've got some great stuff going here

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
after reading all 17 pages, I dont understand why you haven't just bought a 3d printer. lol
I bought one on black friday for 50% off. I taught myself the modeling with fusion360.

You've got some great stuff going here

Well I could teach myself to model but I’m honestly too busy. With what little free time I have, I really would like to restore my car instead of making parts for other people. :) As far as printing, the cheapest printer to do what I am doing now is $7-$10K. That is a lot of money for someone who has no 3D modeling skills.

duct-tape

Site Donor
Reaction score
I was looking for a larger one recently because the one I got is a monoprice mini. prints 6x6x6
the folger tech ft5 is only $400 and prints 12x12x16
and the HE 3D K280 – MEGA DELTA is like $350 and prints 11x11x24

edit, but I totally understand not being into learning the modelling and time involved. I'm the same

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I am not an expert in the 3D printer market, but I believe that in addition to size capacity, there are matters of resolution and also media options (limitations with some machines). I think this is where the machines quickly range from hundreds to thousands.
I am contacted often by 3D printing companies for my office. But I've never liked the resolution or appearance of the results. We still simply make basswood, chipboard, or acrylic models for our needs. I realize that doesn't solve the e9 parts production, but it is that tactility of making (not experienced with the printers) that we love. :)

Last edited:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Yes I am doing nearly all of my prints in SLS vinyl. The resolution of an expensive high resolution FDM printer running ABS compared to SLS vinyl is like comparing a dot matrix printer to a laser printer. Things are changing fast - too fast for me to even consider a printer. The files are stustainable IP, but you can continue to let the printing technology mature.

duct-tape

Site Donor
Reaction score
agreed on the print quality, but I find that there is some simple finish work when it comes to resolution. I bought my cheap printer to learn on, but I've coated a piece with fill primer, a quick hit with sandpaper and some paint over it will produce a glassy finish. Ive also used a heat gun on PLA to smooth it out in a few seconds.

There's no way I'd afford or be willing to invest in a SLS machine, I'll leave that to the pros. I like the idea of using my filament using to make castable parts

Last edited:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
agreed on the print quality, but I find that there is some simple finish work when it comes to resolution. I bought my cheap printer to learn on, but I've coated a piece with fill primer, a quick hit with sandpaper and some paint over it will produce a glassy finish. Ive also used a heat gun on PLA to smooth it out in a few seconds.

There's no way I'd afford or be willing to invest in a SLS machine, I'll leave that to the pros. I like the idea of using my filament using to make castable parts

All good points. I sand the Vinyl also. The main reason why I don’t use ABS is because the melting point is lower, and the resolution is lower. I will be using it for the roundel gasket though.

I will be casting some parts in the next month or so.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
WTF - Seriously BMW?

How is it that folks can advertise headlight knobs for the Z3, but I can't post my FREE AC console vents on www.thingiverse.com. Especially when the Z3 knob is still produced by BMW and the vents are NLA? What is this crap all about?

Z3 Knob:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2507281

WTF_BMW.png

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I am trying to think of a funny joke to soften the mood. But I'm struggling because it is that outrageous. Evidently your parts are too good - maybe BMW is inspired to make them again because of it. :)

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I think it is safe to assume that BMW doesn't give a damn about what you do or even sell. If anything they probably find it to be a good thing as it keeps the brand name alive on multiple fronts.

But to the junior lawyer who just got hired this summer and needs to prove himself to his bosses, this is a golden opportunity to shine.

Last edited:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Another highly sophisticated tech spec sent to my modeler.

I’m building out an AC face plate that accepts Becker radios.

D014C847-0FF6-485F-B778-D6ACDBB8A4BB.jpeg

7F0527A7-9A2B-4A93-ADDC-A1EAD793FF8F.jpeg

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Yes they are, mine came from dealer as depicted in Teahead's pic (my car).

Hi Steve,

I have no doubt that this radio came in your car. I also think it is a lovely radio, and I am looking for one for my car. When I say that it isn't period correct, I'm not inferring that it is an inappopriate option for the E9, or looks out of place. My decision to make a DIN style cutout for the face plate is based on the fact that 1970's Becker radios are DIN style radios. The post-style radios ended in around 1968, right when the E9 came out. So in order to support folks who want a period becker, I needed to make a DIN style cutout. I would never disparage your amazing E9 and I'm also not a period-correct nut. I sincerely hope that you didn't take offense to my comment.

Becker Europa 1969 - 1973 (http://www.blackforestllc.com/becker/).
europa.jpg

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Heck no, no offense taken and I didn't intend to come off combative, you can disparage my car anytime! The BMW accesories book of 1973 shows a post-style Becker as an option, is there a site that dates the radios by serial number? I could not find one a while back. That link you posted shows what was appropriate for Mercedes, not BMW?

C8AzPxrXRyzVW5zTjfUtSvYp5y3iN4MIR34fz684rEG1bYvXWlFqK3nMwyRE8CiMKk2gizc5xZRgQf4htWdxEZk8xIfmheesGxJwuteloREmh96RPoYsd4iZ3dEaLo6Gv_PZN5luEaX7xYXVKA_ZuzQwWDuEtYeFZFiScUz9b2EiSHtpDohzOBX2V1hCrCB4sSbCuAKvcHxYFJV74jCxQXNubFmSdzuyJbAQ11-s0c34eagO_gehf-ST5mmqWypoTJgvMjRVs_g6tZx_oeO3xyUVDBX3QPsHIZuxx0dp0jsrDHfgDDub0xvoBaovtG1hfkQISUX-oR8r8Xrb1kRKO0p2afCOPOL6h9riWL70wchcTqwGCql6NwwQzYXVhpWwhhAkZ_Wg3bDpQePMYKHJKelMXvvQHDng61_6A0uI20fMd1HXnGIe6WLaPJZiETqvJkEU-ago-VLdmRabaB5z9Cb73a8wZkssgDLU0Vc7IzMU45cbtT-pBvPkNmy3y1cS_LEnjs6t9jO7BLsgLaVsi6YLeStQQhbibS0FysD62pouIj1F_jDPpCq8q0woqc9IzdxUVsyxdYhhk_a68TMPOs6ec31RH7V74X67VyENALtTAHdPpS_VVKUhsYcCOmg=w837-h759-no