5 speed shift linkage bushing replacement

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
The work was done 6 months ago and I should have made the report when it was finished. I just reviewed my emails with UUC and saw the first DSSR they sent me was very long. We measured the OEM rod and it was 147mm. That's what I exchanged the long rod for and the 147 mm DSSR is what is in the car. Then the shifter was bent to match the original bent one. I'm pretty sure that one was bent to fit by the previous owner that installed the 5 speed. Your 147 mm DSSR with new bushings should give you a fine conversion.

dj_efk

Reaction score
Phew! Thank you for clarifying.

I will park this thread and will contribute once my setup is up and running. Thank you and happy lunar new year all from Asia!

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
The work was done 6 months ago and I should have made the report when it was finished. I just reviewed my emails with UUC and saw the first DSSR they sent me was very long. We measured the OEM rod and it was 147mm. That's what I exchanged the long rod for and the 147 mm DSSR is what is in the car. Then the shifter was bent to match the original bent one. I'm pretty sure that one was bent to fit by the previous owner that installed the 5 speed. Your 147 mm DSSR with new bushings should give you a fine conversion.

Drew -- Are you using a stock shift lever? Steve is using a 320i lever (as am I, but I haven't changed yet to the DSSR) and perhaps that is why the throw was different.

dj_efk

Reaction score
@Stevehose

Update - The supplier I had lined up here in EU who could supply the oil impregnated bushes / bushes in 10x13x20mm has written to say they are no longer available. Many hours sleuthing has failed to yield a replacement and all the US based companies I have contacted (incl. those mentioned in this thread) either won't ship to UK or the costs are astronomical (one company said $200!)

I do however have a source of 10x13x10 (length) mm, would two of these placed next to each other work just as well? I cannot see why not?

Would appreciate your / anyone else's thoughts.

David.

dj_efk

Reaction score
It will prevent them from sliding side to side between the forks if the fit isn't tight to begin with.

Well it looks like this is my only option, I’ll ask my guy to assemble and make the call on how to fix / shim so as to eliminate any play.

For those that read this thread who are based in Europe, this is the company I’m using:

Bowman International Limited

10 Isis Court, Wyndyke Furlong, Abingdon, Oxfordshire, OX14 1DZ

+44 (0) 1235 462500

[email protected]
www.bowman.co.uk

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
In preparation for my Getrag 5 speed install I have been preparing the short throw shift linkage and was not satisfied with the crappy plastic bushings that came in the new rod joint or the used 320i lever. BMW does not sell replacements for these. So I measured the size of the bores and it is 10mm ID x 13mm OD x 20mm long. A quick search yielded a most excellent company that sells the exact fit bronze bushing.

Here is the bearing source:

https://www.ametric.com/p-40373-10-13x20.aspx
if anybody is in need of these bronze bushings, i just ordered some, and only needing 2, there was a (substantial) shipping as well as a minimum order charge, so i ordered 8, so i got something for my money. i have 6 extra - 5 bucks per piece, plus shipping ... if you order a pair, it will cost you about 35 bucks including shipping and handling ... and they are only 3.30 each.

Michael Kaye

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hey @rsporsche Do you still have any of the bronze bushings left? I'm sourcing parts to install a Getrag 265/6…so I think I need a couple of these? If you do have some would you consider sending to the UK?

Thanks, Michael.

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
they are inexpensive, but the place we ordered them from has a minimum order amount and shipping, so just order and someone will want the other 2 or three sets
also, I was only able to use the bronze bushing on one end of the shift arm, I forget which end the ID didn't match

grnder95

Site Donor
Reaction score
Chris, I have an extra bushing if you still need one, PM you address and I will mail it to you.
Victor