Restomod Donor Car for 1972 E9

Hinemn

Reaction score
I guess I still don't understand "transplant the skin". To me, that would mean only the external sheet metal of the E9...the panels that show (hood and deck lids, quarters, front fenders, doors, roof). It would involve removing the "skin" from both the E9 and the donor car, then modifying the remaining unibody of the donor to accept the "skin" from the E9.

If that is the case, you have some very special skills. If not, can you explain your plan in more detail. Thanks.
That's kind of the concept and vision I have but the execution will not be this easy, there are many know and unforeseen issues waiting for me. The first hurdle I have finding a donor car with the same wheelbase which only the e28 seems to have, which is already too old and most of them are also rusted out. At this point any BMW donor car will have to have its wheelbase shortened which is a huge undertaking on its own. I have not found a solution to this problem yet but it maybe what stops me from starting.lol
I don't know if I have special skills, but I used to be a body and paint tech, more paint than body but been out of the trade for many years now. I'm a car guy and have owned many cars over the years but there is just something about the e9 body shape I can't get over, every time I look at I get sucked into this trance like staring at a beautiful piece of art. The chance of ever finding another e9 so close to home is very unlikely so I need investigate if this project is even possible before I sell or part the car out.
Cheers

Hinemn

Reaction score
I would probably go with an e28 or e28 based e24 as a start. Probably the closest dimensionally. Unless you wanted something a lot more modern.
Yes to both of your suggestions e28 and e24 are close to the age and condition of what I have so I'm trying to get something more modern but needs to be BMW I'm not interested to have a non BMW drivetrain, to me that's just wrong. I hope I won't be eating my words here...lol

Hinemn

Reaction score
I think that the first order of business should actually be to check the VIN on the firewall and post it up here.

The wheels appear to be five hole CSL Alpina, worth around $2,500 in their current state. $3,500 to $4,000 restored. Looks like you have all four but pulled two to get it rolling. Post a closeup of the lug face.

Also the headliner appears to be black (a CSL specific feature). Make sure it isn’t a CSL before you start cutting it up. Not seeing much if any rust on the door skins, which were aluminum on the CSL.

FWIW - I’m just playing out my CSL barn find fantasy, but seriously check. :)

I think @Wes and @tferrer might agree on the wheels at least.

If you were to execute a “body swap” I think an e28 would be far “easier”. They both have the same wheel base. The suspension is very similar (e28 rear nearly identical to e3). They both share the M30 and Getrag 26X drivetrain.

View attachment 148780

View attachment 148781
View attachment 148782
Hey
The picture of the e28 overlapping the e9 is genius, a picture tells a thousand words, thanks so much, it's much appreciated. Yes the wheels are Alpina, I can take some close up pics of the bolt pattern with the faded alpine centre caps, the wheels and front spoiler are at my house, the car is at my friends place I'll have to stop by and get see about the headliner at some point. I don't think it's a CSL but you got me all intrigued now.....imagine it was. lol Just looked at some pics I took and the drivers door has rust on the bottom.......not a CSL. what I did find interesting when I took the wheels of that the rear brake rotors are vented, was that normal back in 1972? Would the VIN on the ownership do or do I need to get it from the car?
Thanks for everybody's help and input by the way, very much appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_0179.JPG
    IMG_0179.JPG
    284.9 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_0180.JPG
    IMG_0180.JPG
    344.6 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_9902.JPG
    IMG_9902.JPG
    497 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_0167.JPG
    IMG_0167.JPG
    507.6 KB · Views: 74

Hinemn

Reaction score
Please check the VIN before any drastic actions are taken. And pop at least a single wheel off and check the date codes on the back of it...
Ok, will do for sure, but I'm almost 100% certain it's not a CSL, wheels are Alpina, I just posted some pics of the wheels.
How do I go ahead and check the VIN? I have it on the ownership, the car is at a friends place and I'll have to swing by and take pics of the VIN other than the plate on the shock tower is there any other place for the VIN?

Hinemn

Reaction score
There was a new member thread for this car with loads of pics. I'll go digging.
That could have been me earlier in the year, I want this car back on the road where it belongs. I like the optimism but I don't think its a CSL. Wheels are 100% BMW Alpina.

Hinemn

Reaction score
You are correct, that is my post from when I first got the car earlier this year, it's been sitting outside for 18 years enduring our long and cold Canadian Winters. It is currently sitting outside at a different location with yet another winter looming, but I figure one more winter outside won't make a huge difference in the rough shape of the car. I'm approaching this possible project very carefully before I dive into a possible nightmare of a project whether I restore it or restomod it.

Hinemn

Reaction score
Ooh, this plot has definitely "thickened"! Cannot wait for the results of these investigations :cool:.
Ha ha, as amazing as it would be that this thing is a CSL I'm pretty sure it's just a basic old e9 with Alpina wheels.....but I've been know to be wrong before once or twice. lol

Hinemn

Reaction score
@Keshav @Gerrit @Markos --I'm not sure if any LHD CSL's came without a hood prop? Those potential Alpinas look like post 72 as the fins are 5mm vs the earlier 10...but more pics and information are needed. One thing I'm sure of... @Hinemn DM's have been blowing up with folks looking for a "cheap" CSL...Haha!
You guys are awesome, thanks so much for all of your help. Although I don't know too much about the e9s but I'm pretty sure it's just an e9 with Alpina wheels......I hope I'm wrong. lol

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
In this thread the owner stated it is a CSi VIN, post it here.

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hey
The picture of the e28 overlapping the e9 is genius, a picture tells a thousand words, thanks so much, it's much appreciated. Yes the wheels are Alpina, I can take some close up pics of the bolt pattern with the faded alpine centre caps, the wheels and front spoiler are at my house, the car is at my friends place I'll have to stop by and get see about the headliner at some point. I don't think it's a CSL but you got me all intrigued now.....imagine it was. lol Just looked at some pics I took and the drivers door has rust on the bottom.......not a CSL. what I did find interesting when I took the wheels of that the rear brake rotors are vented, was that normal back in 1972? Would the VIN on the ownership do or do I need to get it from the car?
Thanks for everybody's help and input by the way, very much appreciated.
Take a picture of the BACK of the wheel...there will be production dates there. Just open the hood and snap a picture of the VIN plate and the stamped number on the firewall inboard of the VIN plate...also look at the title. That VIN will tell you/us everything...

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
fwiw: the Alpina wheel in the pic alone is of 3rd gen (German government approval number 2800206 or -208 is on it): A full set is worth more then the body in my view. Someone out there is surely to buy the set should you be in need of cash. check out the wheel FAQ for more info.

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
You might want to read Sam Smith's article (march/april 22 Haggerty drivers's club magazine) on his tube-frame-inside the chassis/body that he had Ben Thongsai (Chicago area guru and genuinely nice guy), fab-up, for a terminally rusty 2002tii...saw it at the Vintage this year, met Sam (another nice guy)...
About a year ago, I sold my similarly rusty coupe to a paint/body friend in town that has plans to do a Nascar tube frame under my ex, with a Corvette LS swap, wide-bodied, rat-rod ...(roll over in your grave, Murray). I had just purchased a new Sawzall blade pack to cut the thing up into wall art, and my friend made me an offer I couldn't refuse...He hasn't started yet, or I'd point you his way...Best of luck with whatever you decide to do...

Hinemn

Reaction score
Good idea to check the VIN. I had an E28 M5 RHD that I sold at a very cheap price, only to find out after the sale that it was in fact number 1 in RHD, and a special build by the factory as a training car before its sale to the first owner in London..... Had I known......
That's a bummer, I think we all have stories like this but no point looking back since we can't change it. I always wanted an E30 M3 and could have bought one for a song a few years ago. Dammm

Hinemn

Reaction score
I'm going out on a limb to put my $5 bet on this being a CSL, while we wait for the VIN.
Others have picked up on a few things that seem to point that way but has anybody also noticed that the fuel lid has peeled and it looks like it's made of alloy....
I love your optimism, maybe I'll just let that brew for a while and dream that I am actually sitting on a CSL.....lol

Hinemn

Reaction score
yup, all fuel caps are cast aluminum.

One thing that denotes it as a CSL is the rust on the door skin at the base of the left rearview mirror.
If it was a swiss CSL, then it could make sense as they were required by law to have steel doors. Otherwise not..
@Wes ; I'll take that $5 bet...
View attachment 148796
darn, it's starting to look less and less like a CSL but I'm still pumped I have a 3.0 CSI......shitbox but still a 3.0CSI

Hinemn

Reaction score
fwiw: the Alpina wheel in the pic alone is of 3rd gen (German government approval number 2800206 or -208 is on it): A full set is worth more then the body in my view. Someone out there is surely to buy the set should you be in need of cash. check out the wheel FAQ for more info.
The story behind this car is this, the owner was stationed in Germany for many years bought the car there and imported it to Canada in the early 80s. So one thing is for certain, it's a true Euro Spec car. He also told me that the engine was rebuild and only had 5,000 km it when let the car die in his back yard. He also gave me factory repair manual in English, what looks to be an almost brand new manual transmission and a used rear end. The Alpine Wheels are a true bonus. Other from owning a X5 a few years ago this is the only BMW that I've owned but even I know what Alpina stands for......in my opinion it's more special than AMG.

Hinemn

Reaction score
You might want to read Sam Smith's article (march/april 22 Haggerty drivers's club magazine) on his tube-frame-inside the chassis/body that he had Ben Thongsai (Chicago area guru and genuinely nice guy), fab-up, for a terminally rusty 2002tii...saw it at the Vintage this year, met Sam (another nice guy)...
About a year ago, I sold my similarly rusty coupe to a paint/body friend in town that has plans to do a Nascar tube frame under my ex, with a Corvette LS swap, wide-bodied, rat-rod ...(roll over in your grave, Murray). I had just purchased a new Sawzall blade pack to cut the thing up into wall art, and my friend made me an offer I couldn't refuse...He hasn't started yet, or I'd point you his way...Best of luck with whatever you decide to do...
Everything starts with an inspired thought.......good or bad. lol Thanks for the info, I'll look into it.