Restomod Donor Car for 1972 E9

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
@Keshav @Gerrit @Markos --I'm not sure if any LHD CSL's came without a hood prop? Those potential Alpinas look like post 72 as the fins are 5mm vs the earlier 10...but more pics and information are needed. One thing I'm sure of... @Hinemn DM's have been blowing up with folks looking for a "cheap" CSL...Haha!

Hinemn

Reaction score
I assume he means the body of the e9. If that is the case, there doesn't seem to be much skin left to transplant I'm afraid...
You're right, there isn't much skin left to do much of anything especially restoring it, last resort before I put this sad car out of its misery it investigating the possibility of a Frankencar transplant. I am in the very early stages of this idea and I will do a little bit of legwork and investigate until there is a definite road block that clearly tells me to aport.

Hinemn

Reaction score
Look up the MKO company that crafted an e9 onto an M5, simply amazing, but also incredibly complicated.

If I remember correctly, they 3d scanned both cars to first merge them in cad before cutting up any metal.

That's the one I've seen online, what a sexy machine and clearly no expense spared and yes very complicated but oh so very worth it.
If we are talking about value, I'm sure an original E9 will always be worth more than a restorodded Frankencar but if it turns out ok and depends on how much money I want to throw at it then who knows what it could be worth.....that said I am not doing this to get $$$ value out of the project, I'm doing it because I want this car live on.

Hinemn

Reaction score
Hmmm, just off the top of my head, this looks like a left turn into the deep end. Just my opinion. E9 projects are difficult enough, but trying to pioneer a re-fit of some newer BMW chassis underneath a sadly rusted E9 body, umm, well, I have to think this will consume many hours, dollars, and trial and error fabrications to make this work. Even at the current price of respectable "for sale" E9s, they must be a quicker and less expensive entry to enjoying the E9 experience. But best of luck whatever route you choose, and keep us informed.
You are 110% correct, but I think I owe it to this poor old soul of a car to see if I can give it one more chance on a second life. I have no emotional attachment to this car other than I've always like these e9s ever since I was a weee kid back in Germany and now I happen to found one of these in the worst shape possible but the dream is not dead yet. Stay tuned........

Klassic

Reaction score
Good idea to check the VIN. I had an E28 M5 RHD that I sold at a very cheap price, only to find out after the sale that it was in fact number 1 in RHD, and a special build by the factory as a training car before its sale to the first owner in London..... Had I known......

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I'm going out on a limb to put my $5 bet on this being a CSL, while we wait for the VIN.
Others have picked up on a few things that seem to point that way but has anybody also noticed that the fuel lid has peeled and it looks like it's made of alloy....

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I think that the first order of business should actually be to check the VIN on the firewall and post it up here.

The wheels appear to be five hole CSL Alpina, worth around $2,500 in their current state. $3,500 to $4,000 restored. Looks like you have all four but pulled two to get it rolling. Post a closeup of the lug face.

Also the headliner appears to be black (a CSL specific feature). Make sure it isn’t a CSL before you start cutting it up. Not seeing much if any rust on the door skins, which were aluminum on the CSL.

FWIW - I’m just playing out my CSL barn find fantasy, but seriously check. :)

I think @Wes and @tferrer might agree on the wheels at least.

If you were to execute a “body swap” I think an e28 would be far “easier”. They both have the same wheel base. The suspension is very similar (e28 rear nearly identical to e3). They both share the M30 and Getrag 26X drivetrain.

View attachment 148780

View attachment 148781
View attachment 148782

Just a note that CSL barn finds are still out there. I've seen three this month. But that's another story...

nosmonkey

In Rust We Trust
Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm going out on a limb to put my $5 bet on this being a CSL, while we wait for the VIN.
Others have picked up on a few things that seem to point that way but has anybody also noticed that the fuel lid has peeled and it looks like it's made of alloy....
AFAIK all fuel caps are ally

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
AFAIK all fuel caps are ally
yup, all fuel caps are cast aluminum.

One thing that denotes it as a CSL is the rust on the door skin at the base of the left rearview mirror.
If it was a swiss CSL, then it could make sense as they were required by law to have steel doors. Otherwise not..
@Wes ; I'll take that $5 bet...
1663834346392.png

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score

One thing that denotes it as a CSL is the rust on the door skin at the base of the left rearview mirror.
If it was a swiss CSL, then it could make sense as they were required by law to have steel doors. Otherwise not..
View attachment 148796

Been a long day here... May be making a forum donation soon :)

nosmonkey

In Rust We Trust
Site Donor
Reaction score

View attachment 148796
Can we have a CSI style investigation where a random computer geek can enhance the photos so that we can see the VIN from 30 feet away?

Hinemn

Reaction score
Unless you have a lot of experience with body swaps and heavy restoration work or very, very deep pockets, this would be dangerous at best. Mechanicals are the easy part, I would look at getting the best possible shell you can and go from there
You are correct and I am very much aware of the bumpy read ahead thus the careful planning ahead of what I might embark on. I am a retired (not retired from working) body and paint tech, been out of the trade for many years. I still have the know how and know some people in the trade that I can hopefully lean on for help if I decide to move ahead with this. But if somebody knows of a nice e9 shell sitting around I'd be more than interested it.

Hinemn

Reaction score
Race car shell, Maybe...

Got a buddy that I'm trying to convince to do a race car project at the same time I am doing mine ( see post in this area).
Let me know if you wish to sell the car and pricing information.

Thanks.

RP
404-226-6678
Who doesn't need a race car.LOL I'll keep you guy posted which I will be going here soon(ish)

Hinemn

Reaction score
Restore it by chapter, the last chapter is the body...
I don't know, this thing is in very bad shape. I'm no stranger to old rust bucket restorations so this one scares me the most. When you can see the the car is a basket case without lifting the carpet or putting it on a hoist then you know there is sooooooo much more rust and missing metal plus I can't find reasonable sheet metal for it.

Hinemn

Reaction score
All the cars rot away and most in the same places - so there is lots of panels and advice- mine was just as bed as yours- but 400 hours of metal work is good fun.
My view is - enjoy the process - what else would you be doing on a cold winters night..
You might be correct and I will course correct once I'm into the project if I decide to move ahead with it. I have not been able to find a lot of sheet metal for it online yet. Chances are I won't find another e9 anytime soon that's why I am taking a much more cautious and methodical approach with this baby. Stay tuned for the saga, because I know once I start it will take on a life of its own.....

Hinemn

Reaction score
A few thoughts:

- "Similar" wouldn't be good enough; the donor car would need to have a wheelbase and track width that was within a couple mm of the e9's

- As others have written, even with good sheet metal, this would be a huge undertaking. Yes, the shows on TV suggest these projects can be completed in a few days, but the reality is far different.

- Whatever you decide to do, enjoy the journey!
Hey
In past life I was a body and paint tech (got out of the trade many years ago) and was involved in many restorations, I am very well aware of the work ahead thus the cautious approach. I always get a kick out of the TV shows and YouTube videos where they can restore a car in less than an hour when in reality it takes many months of full time work if keep working on it. There are many unforeseen problems and issues hiding not very far under the skin of this pandoras box. You are correct with needing the correct wheelbase or the car will look wrong, I think the e28 is spot on for wheelbase finding one of those rust free might be easier but even then they've skyrocketed in price over the past few years. I'm obviously trying to avoid shorting the wheelbase, just that alone is a project and half. If this kind of project was easy everybody would be doing it. lol

DWMBMW

Site Donor
Reaction score