4310316 begins

wkohler

Site Donor
Reaction score
Call me nuts. I spent like x amount of time last night going back to 2016 when I started reading this thread to reacquaint myself with what was done to make the S38 physically fit and work in the car and get an idea of what other ancillary parts are there like the transmission, etc. I must have read 12-15 pages and honestly, with the [hold me closer,] tiny booster, that mod made to the bell-crank for a throttle cable and whatnot, there's really no reason you couldn't get a B35 and just drop it in there and call it done. Yeah, I previously said there's a bunch of stuff needed to make it work, but there's no reason it couldn't work pretty much as-is, even fuel-injected.

To Dan's point, I drove a B34 to 321k miles, it was never apart, hardly used any oil. I parted out the car in 2011, sold the engine (which I was actually leaving in the car to scrap) to a guy who put over another 100k miles on it with just oil changes and valve adjustments and then he got t-boned by a school bus (bus' fault). The later engines don't have the valve stem seal problems the M30B32 and earlier do (viton vs the earlier neoprene) and they're so under-stressed they'll run forever.

That's not to take anything away from what Mike has offered up with his list. It really puts things in perspective what it takes to do the job very thoroughly. Once you run through the list and even ballpark some of the stuff, it adds up quickly. I'm putting an M30B28 in my 2800 CS and have spent way more money and much more time than I was initially expecting to with all the while-you're-in-there stuff that came up simply because the car has been off the road so long and while I just wanted to make it a running car, and originally said I can drop the motor out again in about 3.5 hours when the time comes, I guess it made sense to replace a bunch of stuff and do it "right" even though I'm not rebuilding the motor itself because it came from a running car. I might end up regretting that, never know.

This post might not be helpful post.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I understand that you have to cut the b35 intake manifold down to clear the hood.

I’ve seen plenty of e9’s (online) with late model intakes. Somehow it is do-able.

I guess I like to go with the odds that M30's are very very good motors to start with and if it hasn't been taken apart in the past and it still runs good the odds are in your favor. The other thinking is that it's a coupe and investing in a rebuilt/special motor is completely justified, and it is.

I totally agree. Not only is that what I would do, it is what I am doing. My motor is from a Carl Nelson swap. I called and asked where he sourced the motor with aspirations of some custom internals. He also did what you described. Pulled out of a donor and just threw it in an e9 with all the important early bits of course.

Since i usually do everything three times I'd just install the motor in the coupe, put it all together and test. If the motor needs to come back out its a two or three hour job and it gets faster every time... spoken from experience.

I’m not trying to be mean spirited, but I don’t think this is the best option for @aearch. He has been crushed by one of his cars with a failed jack once. I was equally concerned about his method for hoisting the old S38. Much like ladder safety, I think the goal should be to limit the number of trips.

61D2E212-024C-4CD0-930F-9A8AFD2883D1.jpeg

OCCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
While writing out the list of items needed for installing a 3.3l into Alan’s coupe I began to realize that this clearly is no small task and then I realized that there are many unknowns, such as, the braking system. How old is it? How long ago was it gone through? Does it work? How about the steering and suspension? I also realized that making the list makes Markos’ suggestion of finding a running car for the transplant motor is the best thing to do. I would ditch the carb idea and go with everything out of the donor car sand transmission. It’ll be far less expensive in the long run and ultimately the shortest distance to the goal of a running car. Also the most reliable option for his daughter.

aearch

Site Donor $
Reaction score
yes so true about your comments
and very helpful. people here have been helpful and some not so much
So im on the hunt for the elusive for 3.5 or the m30 option.
with not a lot of good results. yet im an optimist so im sure it will come along
in not long of a timeline. which i will of course i note here.
so untill then "happy trails to you" till we meet again

Candia4441

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Wow comprehensive. Makes me appreciate the “throw carbs on an e34 535i and see if it runs. That plus all that transmission stuff above. :D

I’m a big fan of small experiments before going big.
He is right, you need a deep pocket to rebuild the engine I did the same mistake, my engine wasn't working so I had 2 choice rebuild or buy complete working engine, I figure if I rebuild engine that will work forever I and interesting part is when you have brand new engine you want all other stuff under the hood brand new, and when under the hood is all new you want new paint new interior and the list is going on and on, up to now I am in it 60K plus car price and more interesting is, all the work took so long that I got tired and I gave up, lately I cant even work on a car it makes me frustrated it look like this will never end.
next time I will make it simple and restoring or renewing, let the professional do the work, I am not in a car business my kind of repair or work will be far away from professional work, we need to pay to the good mechanic to do the work and we can make our self busy from small things like changing light, polish the car or little things to make yourself busy or satisfy.

aearch

Site Donor $
Reaction score

aearch

Site Donor $
Reaction score
im at the point where all i need is the long block
for clarity
EVERYTHING i mean everything is brand new all the suspension and brakes .
everypiece of rubber -brand new from the dealer or from germany.
with all the receipts about a 2" stack.
again just the long block
got the last oem windsheild with the roundel emblased.
in the lower corner.
cant wait to get in there and see the friggin road go by.
wheres my bargain deal to get the m30b35 in there
as im only going to settle with a 3.5 engine.

aearch

Site Donor $
Reaction score
CAN I get any year of the engine and just do whatever i need to the motor mounts
as i can fabricate any configuration as i have a awesume machine shop and
metal fabrication shop a few blocks away.
i that the issue with newer block installation?

whats the issue with the intake manifold
how do you cut them
is it at the bolting flanges?
ok

wkohler

Site Donor
Reaction score
The "about us" page for that site tells me all I need to know about not dealing with them. If you look on car-part.com for an engine from a 1989-1993 BMW 535i, you'll find several from E34s and E32s that are closer and less money. Some even have warranties. There are some 1988-89 635CSi engines as well but they're all back east.

aearch

Site Donor $
Reaction score
WOW thank you so much for your help
it makes me so happy to see posts as they keep right on track
to the desired end a running m30b35 in the coupe

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Ok, this is the last time I will do this. If you don’t want to execute @aearch, you know what you need to do.

This motor has under 130K on it. The car runs and drives but has typical old car issues outside of the drivetrain. I spoke to the owner Terrance on the phone. We talked price. I said the $3,500 is fair given the mileage on the motor. Cars in better physical condition but much higher mileage can be found for $4K. It was his mom’s car and he is aware that it will be gutted for the motor. He can be a bit flexible on price. My guess is nobody wants to bite on this old dog.

Car is in San Diego proper. He is open to having someone come take a detailed look. Titled in his name, but hasn’t been on the road and isn’t registered. That shouldn’t matter with a bill of sale and transferred title.

In theory, you could bus down and drive it home. Otherwise, We all know transfer drivers that run the CA coast. He said he did drive it from Seattle to San Diego in 2020. Brakes shimmy according to him.

If you want to reach out @aearch, I can PM his cell

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I had an E34 for a DD back in the day. Same color. 5 speed. Sweet car. Such a different car than the E28 it replaced.

All of these sub $5K e34’s are one owner away from the junk yard. I would love to own a clean e34, or even a nice e32. Let’s not get too sentimental though. BMW made 1.3M e34’s. :D All these members rocking a B35 is because one less 535/735 is on the road.

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Ha Whatever. How many cars have you been with? You take them in, treat them nice, and make them think they will have a full life with you. Then you drop them like a bad habit. :D
Yea. I like too many cars and don't have the room or money (mostly the money) to own them all at the same time. In addition, I like the project as much as the cars. I have fun with the project, play with the car a bit, then sell it to finance the next project, etc. etc. Works for me. One of my college roomates has the same 58 Speedster he had in college when it was a 9 year old used car. Completely different way to enjoy the hobby. He has as much fun as I do.