1970 2800CSA rust monster restomod

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
Tell me about it! LOL I think about that car all the time. It was lack of storage space back then for me and I think I even mentioned the car on this forum before taking it apart. I kept quite a few parts but crushed most of the body. To put it in perspective, I bought the entire complete car with a good drive train and 38/38 Webers for $1000. That's the relative part.

I think what you're doing is awesome. We're all watching...

I feel your pain. Decades ago I parted out three VW busses. Now they would be $3k to $5k vehicles without doing anything. Who knew?

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
i parted out my carb 'd Porsche 911 in 1977... would be worth now 100k ... :eek: ...to be honest i bought it at the time second hand for 2.5k.... had a accident with it ( young &booz) and went BMW... and stayed BMW :)

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Wyatt,
Thoroughly enjoying your e9 videos...At least youare saving the soul of the old girl/turd. Glad there is no scratch and sniff on the videos. Keep the faith, man! My similar but worse parts car is, unfortunately, still outside with occasional tenants; so at least your is probably starting to smell a little better.
Dave V. in NC

wizzurp

Reaction score
So today has been a little tiring on my back. Motor/trans pulled, front/back glass pulled, foamed and stored, driveshaft out, front bumper out, and a few odds and ends dealt with.
My buddy Chase came to help today as I wasn't fond of moving the glass solo. Rear sill definitely has some rust holes so I'll probably be building a new one from scratch, the front looks great.

Anyone need the exhaust, engine, carbs, trans, or anything else from this car? I did some measuring and I think most of my engine dreams will happen with a bit of fab.

20180415_170658_HDR.jpg
20180415_170637_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

wizzurp

Reaction score
This one actually came out pretty good, mostly because my buddy Chase edited it where I normally just slam the upload button on whatever video I make after I'm tired in the evening .

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Really enjoyed the update, Wyatt. And great use of the term "half-assery". I hope you don't mind if I borrow that phrase at some point. Regarding your Texas weather, over the weekend Wisconsin received anywhere from 4" to 28" of wet, heavy snow depending on where in the state you measured. This is somewhat out of character in mid April, even for Wisconsin. So I don't have too much sympathy for your "chilly" day down there - ha ha. :D

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
You need to invest in some chain. :)

My parts hoarder advice. Treat everything you pull off the car like glass. Everything is worth something to someone. Most things are expensive, rare, or NLA.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
The engine maybe worthless, but keep lots of stuff off of it.

Oil pan (for those doing 3.5 conversions), brackets, etc. Wiring harnesses, whatever.

wizzurp

Reaction score
Really enjoyed the update, Wyatt. And great use of the term "half-assery". I hope you don't mind if I borrow that phrase at some point. Regarding your Texas weather, over the weekend Wisconsin received anywhere from 4" to 28" of wet, heavy snow depending on where in the state you measured. This is somewhat out of character in mid April, even for Wisconsin. So I don't have too much sympathy for your "chilly" day down there - ha ha. :D
Haha, it's not copyrighted material so you are fine! My grandparents live up in Minnesota, it looked like they got dumped on! You guys are having quite the extended winter. It's back to 60 here so I can't complain too much!

You need to invest in some chain. :)

My parts hoarder advice. Treat everything you pull off the car like glass. Everything is worth something to someone. Most things are expensive, rare, or NLA.
Yeah I couldn't find my chain/load leveler bits so to the ratchet strap we go! I've been trying to save "useful" stuff but some of it is WAY too far gone for anyone, even for use as a template.

The engine maybe worthless, but keep lots of stuff off of it.

Oil pan (for those doing 3.5 conversions), brackets, etc. Wiring harnesses, whatever.
I think I may keep and refresh the carbs, the wiring is absolutely useless in my opinion, I'm ripping everything out of the car, I'll just build a new one from scratch. The motor needs to find a home or it'll likely end up in the dumpster.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
that 9 blade fan is worth something. Ditto the valve cover and maybe some valvetrain parts (rockers, etc.).

wizzurp

Reaction score
Is the bottom end useless? How are the serials structured? Can you decipher if it's original/what the displacement is/etc?

aearch

Site Donor $
Reaction score
nylon straps are actually better as the dont tear up the finishes
and are equally as strong as steel as i can attest too. w/ my s38b36
and yes ive been following this thread very closely
it really interseting.
keep it coming
yes cool valve cover

Last edited: