1973 3.0 CSi - A resto project

FGS

Site Donor
Reaction score
Ok, I've just bought this piece of metal which looks like a 1973 CSi, in order to do a full restoration:

Now I've some questions for you E9 gurus:

Anyone knows the torques for head/rockers/rods and everything about the engine?

When the car leaved the factory, how were the floors? Painted in black or white primer?

Has anyone bought a body gasket set from Walloth? Are those gaskets good?

My car had not air conditioning from factory, is there an aftermarket kit I can buy?

Of course more photos will follow. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• ScreenShot002.jpg
    ScreenShot002.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 743
  • ScreenShot003.jpg
    ScreenShot003.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 721
  • ScreenShot004.jpg
    ScreenShot004.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 735
  • ScreenShot005.jpg
    ScreenShot005.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 732

jamesw

Reaction score
Welcome to the group - please post your location so that we can better help you.

You are brave to buy a car like this. The first thing I would concentrate on is finding out if it is safe to drive. That much rust around the shock towers and drivetrain mounting points can mean danger.

Good luck and again welcome.

James

FGS

Site Donor
Reaction score
Of course the car will be sand blasted and every "delicate" point will be fixed and strenghtened. I'm from Italy but I've already bought spare parts from all over the world, so the important thing is to find them, not where they are.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
It may need a new hazard light switch, it shows sticking out so it may have failed.

Good luck with the project.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Francesco,

Welcome to the underdogs club. There are a few of us with similar starting points on here.

I saw someone selling an e3 or e9 ac setup. I'll try to refresh my memory. You could likely borrow the engine side bits from an e12, e25, or even an e28. Find out if e3 parts fit because they are easier to locate.

FGS

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thank you for the tips. I've forgotten to say that most of the parts you don't see are actually with the car. I've also bought for a song a spare bonnet, a lid and a couple of doors which are in good conditions, so I will need basically engine/transmission/steering and suspensions spares.
Sure, it's a big project but that's not my first rodeo: I'm ready!

p.s. what about the floors? Were they light grey/white like the Mercedes 190SL?

Last edited:

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
For floors, look up under dash near glove box, grey primer. Floors were covered with tar mats. Underside of car is same, grayish/tan primer, many times covered with undercoating.

FGS

Site Donor
Reaction score
For floors, look up under dash near glove box, grey primer. Floors were covered with tar mats. Underside of car is same, grayish/tan primer, many times covered with undercoating.

Thanks Chris, I've already seen that color behind the glovebox of my former 2800CS, but I never saw the same color on the underside, mostly because after few years these cars were often resprayed with the black coating. Now I know!

FGS

Site Donor
Reaction score
Btw, I should have open this thread in the Restoration forum. Maybe the moderators could move this there?
Thanks

FGS

Site Donor
Reaction score
My car hasn't its rev counter, so I need a new one. Looking on ebay I've seen that there are two types: different colors on the rev limit area and also a different shade of red. What's the correct one for a csi? Thanks.

Attachments

• ScreenShot010.jpg
    ScreenShot010.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 420
  • ScreenShot009.jpg
    ScreenShot009.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 427

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The second one looks correct, redline 6400-8000. The one one left starts lower, perhaps 2000CS? Mine is red, might just be the photo, CS and CSi have same tachs.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
2800cs tach redlines at 6200 rpm. the numbers on 2800cs gauges is off-white compared to white numbers on 3.0cs.