Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score

Thanks for the link. Very helpful. My modeler also recommended Shapeways as a printing service due to the number of material and finish options. I've been keenly interested in 3D printing after seeing a presentation on the capabilities a few years back. It was a presentation in the context of Global Health, and in that presentation, doctors in Africa were printing prosthetic hands with movable digits (for $100).

3D printing isn't exactly cheap for high quality parts. I suspect that interest will spike in these parts then wane a little if people expect a small plastic part to come with Chinese prices. I mentioned Aluminum because shops like CoupeKing or folks like Ron may not want a plastic AC vent. For your average car, I don't think that most owners will be able to gleam the difference while driving or at a show.

Aluminum printing From the ShapeWays site:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QVHCuV76f0

Also - Shapeways doesn't have a big enough printer for an aluminum face plate. The bounding box for Aluminum is 250mm x 250mm x 200mm. The face plate is close to 270mm wide. Technically it fits inside the box if you stood it upright on an angle, because you have about 350mm diagonally (just like they measure TV's). The part won't stand up on it's own unless I added legs that could snap off later. That's an option, but it would be better to find a bigger printer. By comparison, the bounding box for the test printer I am using is 320mm x 320mm x 200mm.

Last edited:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Update: I revised the AC Console to leverage smaller mounting holes. I sent the files to my fried to print mockups this weekend. He is a bit concerned about the size of the AC Console even though it fits the printer dimensions.

I loaded the files to Shapeways.com and have an understanding of the cost. Due to the size, about the only material that will work is the 'strong and flexible' plastic. I don't know how this holds up to automotive interior usage. From a price point, the AC Console should be a great option for those in need. The side vents may be considered spendy. The main reason isn't the price of the parts, but the price of the comparable OEM part. You can still find some AC side vents without cracked grills. A good AC console is rare and closely guarded.

More after the weekend!

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Okay the mock-ups are back and they look great. I'll test fit the vent grills this evening, but I need to track down a volunteer to help with the vent console.

The geek in me finds this simply amazing!:shock:

AC Grills:
The printer that I'm using has a gloss option, and the plastic is UV cured. I think that I if I went with a black base, these would be production quality. With that said, the modeler can take a high res photo of the original vent and apply a printable texture to the grill. This is an additional modeling investment, so I will not pursue unless there is interest from the community.

As far as the plastic goes, they are about the same consistency as the originals. The vents are just as fragile I would say. This material is more brittle than what you would find on shapeways. The good news is if it brakes, you won't spend your summer looking for a replacement.

27845554142_35744779e1_b.jpg

27667821250_3d34bd1df6_b.jpg

27869742551_ec3ea72fca_b.jpg

The AC Console (printed glossy side down):

I'm going to spray the vent console with the textured black paint, which I already purchased for my steering column. I'll leave the sides bare to protect the tester's center console.

27845556272_d793cc5b21_b.jpg

27845555142_502edd62a4_b.jpg

27845554192_33621f078f_b.jpg

At home in my Subaru:
27334058394_fd8d223155_b.jpg

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Update on fitment:

The AC Grills fit great. The few screw holes need to be moved a to be moved.

The console face plate looks like it needs more adjustment. I can get a glimpse of proper fitment based on the location of the screw holes on the console, as well as the indentation in the vinyl.

I forgot how beat up my console sides are... sigh...

27947586855_54ae194467_b.jpg

27947586315_5689ccf90c_b.jpg

27947593745_632cf00b1b_b.jpg

27334574203_f848b6ee1f_b.jpg

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Mark,

i think these look great! i am definitely interested in a set of the a/c side panels. i agree to print these in black would be smart

way to go!!!
scott

aearch

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Markos i know this might be nitpikin
but would it be possible to make them a bit thiner
so they dont look so bulky
the side grilles i mean as mine are very delicate looking
i think you know better as mine are 3mm thick
bit i would like 2mm

Last edited:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Markos i know this might be nitpikin
but would it be possible to make them a bit thiner
so they dont look so bulky
the side grilles i mean as mine are very delicate looking
i think you know better as mine are 3mm thick
bit i would like 2mm

Hi Alan,

I definitely don't want to remove any material, as they are already delicate enough. Currently, the repos are the same thickness as the original.

27849875212_464b71d5a8_b.jpg

steve in reno

Reaction score
The grills have a slight texture to them and with black color should be very good.

The a/c face, I think needs the texture printed. First thing you see.
The a/c face plate also has the mounting holes in the sides threaded.

Will this plastic be paintable with just sanding? So that crinkle texture could be applied as needed.

As Chris said, "amazing"

phead82

Reaction score
Amazing!

Those look amazing!

I am definitely interested in the data set for those AC side grilles! (I assume you are planning on sharing/selling the data for DIY printing?)

Cheers,
Patrick

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
The a/c face, I think needs the texture printed. First thing you see.
The a/c face plate also has the mounting holes in the sides threaded.

Will this plastic be paintable with just sanding? So that crinkle texture could be applied as needed.

I agree that the AC grill requires texturing. It should absolutely be painted to match the original look, so texture paint will likely be the way to go. I don't intend to add texture to the AC plate. I also don't want to sink any more cost into the plate, as demand is low.

I did talk to the modeler yesterday afternoon about texturing the AC grills, sounds extremely promising. He's texturing another file this week so I'm waiting to hear back from him to get a more informed estimate.

Last edited:

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Simply outstanding Markos. This is going to be a very important contribution to interior restoration, and maybe even 'maintenance'. My compliments.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I am impressed!
Nice work, you may take over as the E9 Fabricator!
not so fast Stan, we aren't letting you off the hook. there is room enough for a couple of e9 fabricators ... we just need to keep the innovation up on how to recreate parts to keep our cars looking great

i for one thank the both of you for what you have created.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Those look amazing!

I am definitely interested in the data set for those AC side grilles! (I assume you are planning on sharing/selling the data for DIY printing?)

Cheers,
Patrick

Hi Patrick,

Similar to Stan's endeavor this isn't a money making effort for me. However, I am hoping to recover the investment costs I incurred having the parts designed.

I can load the models onto shapeways and cut myself out of the distribution process. I can also load them up to a similar site in Europe and Australia. These parts aren't "injection molded in China" inexpensive, so I'll have to keep the markup very low.

I'm checking on options and pricing to continue to print these locally. The printer used for the mockup is a very very nice unit. I may be able to print more with the same printer, which will save money and result in a better product.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
For those hanging onto AC plates hoping they hit $1000, sell now!!

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
For those hanging onto AC plates hoping they hit $1000, sell now!!

Haha! I don't think that will be a problem. The originals are still the originals. You can print mine in aluminum on Shapeways in stainless steel for around $700! It's too big for the aluminum printer, but the cost would be similar if not more. I haven't looked into getting them machined, but I would imagine that it is equally costly. A member made machined aluminum vent grills years back and it was a technical feat that didn't seem to pan out.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
It's a damn vent grill. I'd be proud to sport the repro….if I had AC. Sigh.
I also like clones of Shelby Mustangs.

OCCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
Markos,

Thank you for all the effort. I am interested in a set of A/C grills. Please let me know when you have a price and ETA.

Thank you,
Mike