Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Quick little update. I sent feedback to the modeler and some of the pics that I posted. I'm mailing the printed parts to him today, they should have them by Friday or so.

I'm just waiting to connect with my BMW Friend to see if he can print the production versions on his super-nice printer. As soon as I get the revised parts from my modeler, I'm going to have Shapeways print off a black AC grill so I can test the quality.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Patrick,

Similar to Stan's endeavor this isn't a money making effort for me. However, I am hoping to recover the investment costs I incurred having the parts designed.

I can load the models onto shapeways and cut myself out of the distribution process. I can also load them up to a similar site in Europe and Australia. These parts aren't "injection molded in China" inexpensive, so I'll have to keep the markup very low.

I'm checking on options and pricing to continue to print these locally. The printer used for the mockup is a very very nice unit. I may be able to print more with the same printer, which will save money and result in a better product.

i completely understand your position and i fully support that you need to receive a compensation for what this lovely job deserves

i would probably ask you to produce/print parts for me and send me the final product if that is available and posible

regards

TRIPPFONTAINE

Site Donor
Reaction score
Amazing work Markos. I'm pumped to see that you're moving closer to final production. Looking forward to hearing about latest "print" and costs. Any plans to do red screwdrivers?:)
Cheers

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Tripp,

Thanks for the motivation! I have been lazy about shipping the printed parts back to my modeler. I'm trying to wrap up some home projects and have been to the post office.

Interesting thought on the screwdrivers. Technically, the PolyJet can print clear plastic. It would work for the little screwdriver but really those parts need to be molded.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I haven't forgotten about this effort. The modeler should have the printed parts today or tomorrow at the latest. I was wrapping up a home project and never got these in the mail. The unfortunate update is that my buddy's 3D printer is in fact more expensive than Shapeways. I was leaning towards a production print shop anyway, but I owe my friend quite a bit of cash for the mockups, as he needs to reimburse the company that he. I'll need to sell quite a few of these to recover the investment.

If anyone is interested, my plan is to have a high (but fair) markup on the AC Face plate, which will result in a sharp looking product at a fraction of the cost of a used one. It cost me 6x as much to model the AC face plate than it did to model the side grills. I suspect that sales on the AC vent face will be quite low.

The AC vent covers will have a very low markup because they actually eat up a lot of material. Also, people will likely need to buy two since they won't match the originals exactly. To give you an idea on cost, printed AC covers will cost more than very few used ones I have seen for sale (or sold myself). The main problem is that it is hard to find used e9 covers that aren't broken, as many of you can attest. Used Bavaria covers are easier to get a hold of.

Since the original AC grills are basically made of glass, some members may wish to swap them out with the replaceable units to protect the originals.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

The design revisions will be done on Thursday. I will be printing a console side vent and having it drop shipped to a a member to test and provide a third party unbiased review. I'm also having the modeler make e3 vents, which is simply an e9 vent with the tip chopped off. If all goes well, the console side vents will be for sale very soon!

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Markos,

The e9 vent grille is chopped otherwise it extends beyond the side panel. The e3 side panels are longer and don't have the chop. I have both cars and have examined them closely.

Chris

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Markos,

The e9 vent grille is chopped otherwise it extends beyond the side panel. The e3 side panels are longer and don't have the chop. I have both cars and have examined them closely.

Chris

Oh yes I mixed that up. I made the chopped e9 grills. The modeler will have to add the tip for the e3. Hopefully he still does it for free. I sent him the two printed four e9 grills, and one e3 grill.

tightbox

Reaction score
Let me know if I can help out with adding the textures. I run a large digital design firm that loves these types of projects!

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Let me know if I can help out with adding the textures. I run a large digital design firm that loves these types of projects!

Thanks tighbox! Will keep you posted.

Update: I received the updated files back. I had Shapeways print off a side grill and I shipped it to a respected California members for unbiased review.

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm not in the market for these, but just wanted to say very nice effort of you Markos!

Cheers,

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Update:

The revisions are good. The part is ready for printing. What you see in the picture is the Shapeways finished product. What you see is what you get. It isn't as nice as the glossy high resolution that you get from my buddy's super expensive printer, but they work.

28856428896_7c8dddb742_b.jpg

Most importantly, the mounting holes are now where they need to be. Hard to tell from this pick, but this is the OEM grill on top of the corresponding printed grill.
28812355221_52f6a16ab1_b.jpg

I think this image best illustrates why a glossier finish would be idea. A little less stealth bomber...
28602966410_9bb8ec38d3_b.jpg

Next Steps:

I had a member testing out fitment on this, and he says it looks good. I'm going to have him ship it back to me the first week in September, where I can hit it with a coat of paint. I personally think they would look better painted, but that's always an option for interested parties. I will be product on Shapeways very soon.

Atavistic

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Markos,

How exciting to discover your pioneering efforts - I am also interested in a face plate so please add me to your potential customer list (and maybe some back up side vents as I have the originals) in the next 3 months.

Very well done and thanks again for your efforts - I hope TightBox who runs the paint resurfacing shop can help with a reproduction gloss leatherette finish.

Very best

David

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks David.

I'm out of town this week. When I return I am going to do some final radio measurements. I have about six sources, all with different dimensions. That includes two radios, my original faceplate, and Scott's pristine faceplate. Unfortunately none of the dimensions are an exact match.

After chatting with a member, I realized that it is the faceplate that supports the radio. I may increase the face thickness by up to 1mm.

Lastly when the face plate arrived and a member sends me the side grill, I will be painting both with semigloss black texture paint. I will also revisit options with tightbox as I don't intend to model the texture on the AC side vents.

More soon!

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Will do!

I have been dragging on this one. I just picked up a vintage blaupunkt to use to validate the radio face opening. I should receive the sample console vent in the mail today or tomorrow. Will be printing a face plate soon.

Also, I talked to some CNC shops about machining the console face but the vents are a no go. I didn't think to check on the side grills though. I'll submit that for estimate.