deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Update: My printed face plate arrived today. It took quite a while to print and ship be honest. The material was printer-specific, and I'm quite pleased with the Nylon piece. It's much more rigid than the ABS used on the console sides, and doesn't have much visible stepping. The Blaupunkt Frankfurt fits just right. The combo looks sharp, now I kind want AC! :)

Next step will be to texture paint it black, and mock it up against the console sides for fitment. My modeler hasn't shipped my originals back yet so I can't visually compare to the aluminum piece.

30221575624_8b76d48373_b.jpg

The radio comes with green plastic post spacers, two on each side. I removed them because I thought I'd need more thread but looking at the profile pic it would be best to add them back. They are about 3/16" thick.
30853667485_a712f6b6fa_b.jpg

that is a piece of art, extremely well done ! ;-)

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Update:

I painted the face plate and test fit on the console. The holes line up with the originals which is a step in the right direction. Next I need to wait for my original to arrive so that I may compare the two. Slow and steady!!!

30857332872_fa0dcf9c11_b.jpg

30938793856_4bffeb0d71_b.jpg

30672659960_44d3a01e69_b.jpg

Last edited:

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Update:

I painted the face plate and test fit on the console. The holes line up with the originals which is a step in the right direction. Next I need to wait for my original to arrive so that I may compare the two. Slow and steady!!!

exceptional, extraordinary, excellent !
well done Markos

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

One thing I could use help on is the orientation of the fan switch. The switch has male pins that protrude from the back. Do those pins face up or down?

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Update. I received my originals in the mail yesterday and did a few comparison photos tonight. The revised part is very close in all dimensions. The lower half is about 6mm too long. I'm going to take some closer measurements and submit one more iteration to the modeler. This is my first iteration that is outside of my contract so I'll need to pay for it. It should be the final update though. Given how close we are, I'll look into a version with a face bump-out and three gauge holes as well.

Looking at the finish, I think I will once again try a coating of satin paint on top of the truck bed spray. I tried a coating of satin on top of wrinkle but the satin removed the wrinkles. I think the satin on top of truck bed spray will give the piece a softer look, both finish type (less glossy), as well ass texture.

By the time I'm done it should fit better than anything BMW would reproduce (based on their track record). :D

30959069531_08853f7731_b.jpg

Width is spot on on both the lower and the upper portion of the face
30959069611_fef437b74b_b.jpg

My sides are slightly thicker which should not cause interference but will help with rigidity.
31073252505_77901731ec_b.jpg

30959069681_ca5c22f25d_b.jpg

I may be able to thicken up the fins a bit, which is a good thing since they are less rigid than aluminum.
30959069661_60a97cf587_b.jpg

This is the primary issue that will drive a final iteration:
30959069091_9516ef2d87_b.jpg

Last edited:

aearch

Site Donor $
Reaction score
try the flat paint then flick the paint on with a toothbrush
youll be surprises its looks like stock
as it is speckled

Last edited:

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Echoing the "attaboy" comments!...and if the flat is too flat, I used a Krylon product called Semi-Flat (black) on my 76 2002 front grilles and was very pleased with...Again, thanks for you efforts.
Dave V. in smoky NC

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Echoing the "attaboy" comments!...and if the flat is too flat, I used a Krylon product called Semi-Flat (black) on my 76 2002 front grilles and was very pleased with...Again, thanks for you efforts.
Dave V. in smoky NC

Thanks Dave! I have a can of duplicolor satin black that I used on a set of Alpinas. It had a nice finish. I don't think that flat would be appropriate.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Greetings!

I got your PM but haven't responded yet. The good news is that I have an unlimited supply of them. :)

The file has been loaded to shapeways.com. You can find the link in the previous posts, or you can go to shapeways and search for bmw e9. They are $75 each. You purchase them through the website. It is like Amazon, I am just one of the many vendors. I wish they were cheaper but that nearly all of that price goes to materials and processing.

I suggest that you read through the thread and pay attention to the finished product coming out of shapeways, and my experimentation with texture paint for a more appropriate look. Thank you for your interest!

Driver Side:
https://www.shapeways.com/product/GBHJHVZWR/e9-ac-console-grille-driver

Passenger Side:
https://www.shapeways.com/product/NSUAXFKLM/e9-ac-console-grille-passenger-side

Last edited: