4310316 begins

aearch

Site Donor $
Reaction score
SO it turns over fine with the plugs out,
yet i put in three and no no full turn -so im recharging the battery and will add
another to see what happens.

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
SO it turns over fine with the plugs out,
yet i put in three and no no full turn -so im recharging the battery and will add
another to see what happens.

That seems strange.. Especially if you are still running the dual battery set up.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi @aearch,

What is the condition of your Optima battery? It doesn't look new. I can't help but notice that both safety valves have popped off the top. Did you use that old charger in your pictures? Those old chargers really aren't designed for an AGM battery, particularly if it was flooded. I won't even use an electronically controlled charger on a battery mounted to my vehicle while inside the garage.

In addition to the blown safety valves, the positive side of your battery looks cloudy and melted, particularly by the area that vents when it is overcharged. Is this just an illusion or is the case deformed?

IMG_1604.JPG

IMG_1594.JPG

sch_ma_2_batteries_amg_-_gb.jpg

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Oh, I was also going to ask what gauge of wire you are running to the starter, but I got distracted. It's a long run. I think the e30 used 10 gauge, but that is a small low compression motor. I used 0 gauge under the hood. More here:

aearch

Site Donor $
Reaction score
thanks markos i just cleaned the case -thats the discoloration.
also i used battery cables to run up front. 3/8" to 1/2" diameter
i do have another proper charger im useing now.
im going to bring a battery up front to test the cables running to the trunk.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
No Alan, it’s not brand new.
No.
Your battery looks terrible.
While many of us do like to tease you a bit, none of us wants to see you or your loved ones get hurt.
Please be careful.

Gary Waggoner

Site Donor
Reaction score
My s38 turned over easily with a standard flooded lead acid Group24 battery. Its mounted in the trunk as well and wired with 0 gauge wire to the starter. The engine block is also grounded to the subframe via 0 gauge. The difference in compression ratio is negligible in my opinion. Not sure what to offer at this point, but I suspect low amperage whether its wire gauge, ground issue or other. If it were mine, I would check each cyl. compression just for grins then if all good, attach a new battery with big gauge jumper cables to the starter and engine block and see what happens.

aearch

Site Donor $
Reaction score
WELL I SET ONE UP FRONT WITH REAR CONNECTED AND NO PROBLEM WITH 3 PLUGS TYP ALL TOMOR
COULD HAVE A BAD OPTIMA AS IT CHARGED TILL FULL THEN WENT WAY DOWN AFTER THE CRANK ATTEMPT.
WEIRD. ITS JUST BEEN SITTIN SINCE SEPT.

aearch

Site Donor $
Reaction score
OK ALL PLUGS IN
both batteries full - no luck
turned over two times then stalled whurr-whurr.
and i just hooked up the redtop primary and it needs a chrge so the redtop bought in sept must be bad
as the small yellow didnt add enuff to keep it going
shitty bateries im going to hook up the diehard
i bet it works

Last edited: