5 speed shift linkage bushing replacement

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
In preparation for my Getrag 5 speed install I have been preparing the short throw shift linkage and was not satisfied with the crappy plastic bushings that came in the new rod joint or the used 320i lever. BMW does not sell replacements for these. So I measured the size of the bores and it is 10mm ID x 13mm OD x 20mm long. A quick search yielded a most excellent company that sells the exact fit bronze bushing.

The plastic one was removed from the shift lever, there are grooves in there but the bush is tight so no adhesive needed. I Dremel'd the inside with a wire brush to clean and smooth it out:
IMG_2443.JPG

Then I tapped it into the lever, it overhangs about a mm on each side (where the original flange would be) and is not quite as tight in the 144mm dog bone DSSC linkage piece as I want (nor was the plastic one) so I am fitting two 10mm x 16mm x .25mm shim washers to make it nice and snug. Then I torched the plastic bush out of the new rod joint, there are large grooves inside it so I put some JB Weld in and tapped another bushing into that, it is very snug and won't need washers between it and the dogbone:

IMG_2451.JPG

That's the old plastic lever bearing in the above pic. Now I have tight, smooth bronze bushings that won't distort over time like plastic or have as much play.

IMG_2453.JPG

Here is the bearing source:

https://www.ametric.com/p-40373-10-13x20.aspx

Last edited:

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Steve, thanks for this excellent thread and photos.

I am about to embark on the same journey. I have a 320i shifter and was reviewing your bushing suggestions.

I noticed you use a UUC dogbone instead of the stock linkage. Doing a search on this subject, I noticed that in different posts, you mention the length you chose as 140, 143 and finally 144mm. But when I go on the UUC web site, I only see a 147mm.
http://store.uucmotorwerks.com/short-shifter-kits-ssk-and-dssrs-c506all.aspx

Is there a 144 hidden some place or would this 147 give you a little more room to avoid having the reverse hitting the shifter console?

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Great job Steve.
Just hope you don't get noise from the 5 speed transmitted up through all that metal.
Gary

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Sorry, ordered a 144mm DSSR, contact Christopher Bethel <[email protected]> to see if they still have them. From my receipt:

Description

Unit price Qty Amount
UUC Double Shear Selector Rod | DSSR-144 | Stock
$129.00 USD

And the thing is so f'ing awesome. Fits and shifts perfecto. Way better than the stock one-sided rod.

I am about to embark on the same journey. I have a 320i shifter and was reviewing your bushing suggestions.

I noticed you use a UUC dogbone instead of the stock linkage. Doing a search on this subject, I noticed that in different posts, you mention the length you chose as 140, 143 and finally 144mm. But when I go on the UUC web site, I only see a 147mm.

Is there a 144 hidden some place or would this 147 give you a little more room to avoid having the reverse hitting the shifter console?

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
No noise, I have as much isolated with rubber as possible, maybe a little more vibration when holding onto the knob at speed, but this could be from elsewhere. Shifts very crisply and would do it again!

Great job Steve.
Just hope you don't get noise from the 5 speed transmitted up through all that metal.
Gary

nyccsi

Site Donor
Reaction score

http://www.ebay.com/itm/UUC-DSSR144...ash=item33bfa03a06:g:lqEAAOSwLF1X49qM&vxp=mtr

bill

Site Donor
Reaction score
Nothing beats having your transmission on a table...hope to be able to do the UUC connection someday.

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Steve,

THANKS - very strange. It would not open on 4 different occasions when I tried it Saturday and yesterday. Clicked on it this morning, and - whoopee - it opened immediately. Thanks for encouraging me to try again.

So - I'll just be ordering two from them.

Gary

PS: But, when I tried to order, the web site would not accept anything less than $25!! IF I get 2 more people (BMachine is already one), who ant these, I'll place the order for 8 bushings.

Please sign onto this thread if you want to be included. Cost will be about $7, plus shipping cost for a small padded envelope.

Last edited:

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thanks Steve. Price is the same, shipping high, but don't need $25 order plus shipping charges. That's probably where I'll buy them. Need 8 at the original link, and plus shipping total is $45 for the 8.

THANKS for the lead - one more question - can these be replaced with the transmission installed in the car???? IF so, what procedure would anyone recommend?

Gary

Last edited:

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Yes, you would need to access the rod joint which is held on by a wire clip, not sure if the drive shaft is in the way for that. So remove the rod joint and the lever mechanism. Then replace the support tower bushings and rebuild/clean the lever ball joint pieces or. Replace them also.