Andrew Wilson's '73 CSi

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Andrew, here's a couple of pics of what I think the original looks like (try to ignore the dirt)

Attachments

• 20180706-under dash 2.jpg
    20180706-under dash 2.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 186
  • 20180706-under dash 1.jpg
    20180706-under dash 1.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 184

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Remember that time on the way to The Vintage in Asheville in 2018 when my wiper motor died in Winchester VA and I drove 81 South in pouring rain? Then at the show in Hot Springs, Billy Revis & Rob Seigel & I swapped out the wiper motor for one from Billy's M6? That was awesome!

IMG_5634.jpg

What had happened was the original motor's internals got wet and shorted the motor. When I tilted the water logged motor rusty water poured out the weep hole. I know people cringe with coupes and rain but when traveling, rain happens.

So today I modified a 2002 wiper motor cover and installed it. The bolt pattern on the E9 is opposite of a 2002. Luckily on the back of the cover are mold marks that just happen to line up with the E9 bolt pattern. So I drilled those out, then had to cut the far end off as the E9 motor is also longer. I used the original wiper motor to test fit & modify the cover until it fit.

A little trick I use for messing with wiper motors is to tape the wipers to the windshield as parked & tape the linkage pivot on at the motor so nothing moves when the short pivot arm is pried from the splined shaft. The motor mount bracket has a small flange on the bottom so I had to further modify the cover to fit.

Then reinstalled the wiper motor. Put the linkage back on the splined shaft. Untaped everything and as a precaution raised tilted the wipers up tested. Everything works and the wipers parked right where they were before.

Hope this helps to mitigate water getting into the motor or at least slow the process down.

IMG_3323.jpeg
IMG_3324.jpeg
IMG_3325.jpeg
IMG_3326.jpeg

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Athena goes to VSR Monday June 8th 2020 to have rear E28 window motors installed in rear window cassettes & have her rear parcel shelf recovered.
I've been able to purchase a reupholstered set of the rear side & center arm rests. Also purchased a pair of sill covers with good aluminum trim.

Her left rear window transmission, has yet another stripped nylon gear this is the 4th time. I was able to find a set of E28 motors in Australia. I'd cover the rear parcel shelf myself except I'm concerned about the electrically triggered seatbelt retractors for the 4 point harnesses. Her rear center arm rest is badly sun damaged and cracked so, I'll replace the center when the arm rests arrive. The sill cover trim is damaged beyond sending to Speedway, this has bothered me for years.

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Removed the old beat up center rear armrest with a reupholstered one I bought from a guy selling a set of dark blue rear armrests on E9 FB Group.

Removing the old one wasn't difficult, toughest part of reassembly was putting in that confounded screw under the front of the lower armrest because of the front center console.

IMG_3695.jpeg
IMG_3696.jpeg
IMG_3697.jpeg
IMG_3698.jpeg

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I bought the rocker covers from Vitality listed by Markos in the 2800 CS Part Out thread, I noticed the bright aluminum strips were in great shape. Athena's were creased, rippled, dimpled and not very good.

They arrived the same day as the rear center arm rest. I unpacked them last Tuesday, June 16th. While the trim was very shiny, straight & good. The covers weren't as good as Athena's. So I removed the trim from from Vitality's covers. Removed Athena's covers & removed the trim. Then proceeded to clean everything front to back, inside & outside with a scrub brush & a hose. Then cleaned it all again, with an old toothbrush & Griots Speed Shine to make it all as clean as possible. Cleaned the dust & detailer spray drips from under Athena's rocker covers.

VSR sent me 10 new rocker trim pin clips, which arrived Friday the 19th. On Saturday the 20th, I attached the good rocker trim to Athena's covers. It took a little while to get the trim to seat on the clips since it was the first time I had done this. A strategically placed pair of wood blocks & a mallet worked like a charm!

Today I reinstalled Athenas's sparkling clean rocker covers with near perfect trim & stainless screws.

IMG_3704.jpeg
IMG_3705.jpeg
IMG_3706.jpeg
IMG_3712.jpeg
IMG_3714.jpeg

DWMBMW

Site Donor
Reaction score
"Athena's were creased, rippled, dimpled and not very good."

All the well earned battle scars of car that has been DRIVEN and enjoyed!

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Did a Covered Bridge Tour with the Audi Club of New Hampshire Saturday, August 8, 2020, it was a lot of fun There were Several BMW Classic CCA and BMW CCA Pine Tree Chapter members on the tour too. BMW Classic CCA members, Stan Chamallas in his GR8WHT, Will Gran in his Bavaria, Mo & Sandy Cozzo its their E30 M3.

Several of the roads were relatively smooth dirt & gravel which the Audi Club loves, they took off! Not what Athena was built to do we played it safe and never went over 35 mph, we stayed toward the rear after the first dirt section. Stan Chamallas's GR8WHT & Athena braved the mud & dust and completed the tour.

These photos are at the vista view point, the end of the tour & at home prior to being washed. A majority of the mud & dust hosed off easily.

IMG_3891.jpeg
IMG_3926.jpeg
IMG_3932.jpeg
IMG_3933.jpeg
IMG_3934.jpeg
IMG_3935.jpeg
IMG_3936.jpeg
IMG_3879.jpeg
IMG_3880.jpeg
IMG_3890.jpeg
IMG_3894.jpeg
IMG_3902.jpeg
IMG_3909.jpeg
IMG_3923.jpeg
IMG_3925.jpeg
IMG_3927.jpeg
IMG_3930.jpeg

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
This morning at 9:50 am the clutch line blew out on Main Street in Rockland, Maine while on my way to pick up Tanya Athanus at the Ferry Terminal 2/10ths of a mile away.

I let Tanya know, texted Cindy my location, which is an hour from home. Looked up towing services in Rockland, called the 24/7 guy. Gave him a warning over the phone that she is pretty low, has an air dam & a challenge to get on the flatbed. He arrived within 30 minutes, despite his low angle flatbed, he needed to use planks. Fortunately Athena was at the top of a slight grade. As I manned the emergency brake, the towing driver lined up the planks then I let off the e-brake and coasted at least half way up the flatbed deck. He was able to winch her the rest of the way then tie her down.

Cindy arrived just as Athena left on her way to to European Auto Service in Gardiner. The same place where she became Athena in July 2011.

Stan Chamallas via joked on FB "Glad it didn't blow in Hooterville with no cell service and possible cannibalistic residents along those dirt roads!!!" :oops:
Having this happen in Rockland really was the best case scenario compared to "Cannibal Land" or "Helen Gone" or even "East Jabip."
Rockland Clutch Line Leak.jpeg
Rockland Flatbed 01jpeg.jpeg

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
Andrew, Nice pics of BMWs and bridges, but where are the AWD Audis (Sport Quattros?!) rampaging through the dirt and gravel :)

Bummer on the blowout... How old was the hose and what kind?