Andrew Wilson's '73 CSi

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Andrew, Nice pics of BMWs and bridges, but where are the AWD Audis (Sport Quattros?!) rampaging through the dirt and gravel :)
All the Audis were fairly new, made me sort of want an older 80s Quattro yet not enough to actually buy one.

Bummer on the blowout... How old was the hose and what kind?
Not sure what kind, it was fairly old to my knowledge. I'll inquire with the shop.

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
North Hogscrotum?

Stan, that's in Pennsylvania!

IMG_8298.JPG

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Picked up Athena this morning. Started to rain on the way home which helped clean the fender wells from all the mud from the Covered Bridge Tour August 8th. Insurance company is sending me a check for the $300 flatbed from Rockland to Gardiner, Maine.

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Great Sunday! We took Athena on the 2nd Misselwood Concours Tour Series today. Some pretty amazing cars were there from a 1967 VW Beetle to a 1967 Ferrari 330GT Spyder. We returned to the Estate & had a few photos taken on the front lawn. Then enjoyed a light lunch in the shade as we enjoyed the cool breeze of the water.

IMG_4021.jpeg
IMG_4022.jpeg
IMG_4023.jpeg
IMG_4024.jpeg
Athena on Great Neck MA.jpg
IMG_4021.jpeg
IMG_4022.jpeg
IMG_4023.jpeg
IMG_4024.jpeg
Athena on Great Neck MA.jpg
On the road with the Lasalle.jpg
Rear view on the road.jpg
8Athena on Misselwood lawn.jpg

ohio2800cs

Site Donor
Reaction score
Nice event, your car is beautiful sitting by the water! That looks like a candidate for the 2021 calendar. The color of the Ferrari 275 GTS also looks similar to Athena's.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hmmm, got sent this picture at 10am yesterday by a friend...................................He's a 2002 guy but I think he is coming around.

IMG_1719(1).jpeg

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Had to mechanically fasten the hinge of Athena’s “Anton” arm rest console because the thin milled strip fractured the length of the hinge. Only issue, the screws now interfere with the ‘sliding’ cup holder so it’s always extended. Will probably remove the cup holder card all together as I rarely use it.

Anton Console hinge fix.jpeg

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Upholstered the 4mm plywood accessory gauge panel with leather over neoprene. Everything fits great & tight. Plan to do Oil Temperature, Pressure & Voltmeter. Same as I have in the 1997 M3. I'm an electrical wimp & will have the gauge senders & wiring professionally done.

Gauge Panel 01.jpeg
Gauge Panel 02.jpeg
Gauge Panel 03.jpeg

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Removed the old beat up center rear armrest with a reupholstered one I bought from a guy selling a set of dark blue rear armrests on E9 FB Group.

Removing the old one wasn't difficult, toughest part of reassembly was putting in that confounded screw under the front of the lower armrest because of the front center console.

View attachment 95742

Andrew, it appears that the new/used one you bough is shorter than your beat up original. If so, did you end up with a larger gap at the top?

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Castle in the Clouds Car Show October 3, 2020.
Athena, Stan, Stephen Gilligan (E30 Cabriolet), Duane Sword & Mario Langsten with his Porsche GT3. VSR representing.

IMG_4367.jpeg
IMG_4374.jpeg
IMG_4377.jpeg
IMG_4386.jpeg

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
some interesting cars along with the beautiful coupes. glad to see the gr8white alongside athena. i see a jensen interceptor, a mga, the e type, a tr4, a couple of p cars

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Last weekend when driving to the Castle in the Clouds. Athena’s heat wouldn’t work.

in 2016 VSR installed an electronic heater bypass valve. It has worked flawlessly since it was installed. Until October 3, 2020 when it was really needed, it was so cold & foggy the chill went to my bones.

Sunday October, 4th I decided to troubleshoot the no heat condition. I removed the lower dash panel I had repaired over the Winter. Consulted the photos of switches before dash the repair. Everything was properly connected. So I replaced the switch, still nothing.

So then I pulled out the Voltmeter, it showed no keyed power to the switch. I “rolled the fuses” making sure they were all fine. Still nothing. I checked all the “in-line” accessory bus fuses which were all fine.

Feeling defeated, I made an appointment with VSR to diagnose.

I arrived Thursday October 8th at 11:00 am, by 11:15 the issue had been diagnosed & was being repaired. The keyed power wire had broken in the insulation above a small zip tie. By 11:30, I was on my way home.

2D623BE1-C031-4CFF-826B-DCFFF5A8D0A4.jpeg
328B6B78-B05E-42A3-9D35-ECD64F019D9C.jpeg
A9DA950C-DE8D-4B31-AFC3-46B8A86B6212.jpeg

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Drove Athena to my old neighborhood in Connecticut to attend a Cars & Coffee at Dragone Classics new facility in Orange off I-95. Saw Friends & family. Chuck Moss with his E30 M3, Duncan Irving with his 2002 & my 93 year old uncle with his 1932 Franklin.

Discovered the heater-bypass-broken-wire-diagnosis did not fix the no heat problem unfortunately.
My ex-1933 Packard Twelve is in the restoration process & looks pretty good. I am happy the car is getting the love it deserves, Okie went to a proper new owner.

IMG_4480.jpeg
IMG_4481.jpeg
IMG_4484.jpeg
IMG_4488.jpeg
IMG_4490.jpeg
IMG_4492.jpeg
IMG_4527.jpeg
IMG_4528.jpeg

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
After a month at Autowerkes Maine in Freeport, Athena is back home.

The 2 main projects were wiring the auxiliary gauges and a 'chirp' when accelerating in 1st to 3rd. When diagnosing the 'chirping' they found the rear sway bar end had ripped the outside CV joint boots. The 'chirping' was found to be the centering "pin" on the back of the the transmission was dry & getting scored causing the 'chirp'.

The other sway-bar issue was the front passenger side bracket had cracked in half. Instead of replacing the broken bracket, it was welded & reinforced.

The gauge senders were a bit more difficult than anticipated. Due to lack of space, an "adapter block" was needed for the dual pressure sender to barely fit at the back of the engine. Finding one proved to be the toughest part of the job, taking 2 weeks to locate. The oil filter housing was drilled & tapped for the oil temperature sender.

Completed off.jpeg
Completed on.jpeg
Oil temperature sender.jpeg
Oil pressure sender.jpeg

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Gauges look great. I had to get my sender adapter from the UK. Also had to use the right thickness crush washer so when tightened up the sender threads were straight up. You’ll love the gauges on your road trips