Chamonix 3.0CS Restoration

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
IMG_1243.jpeg

Pinstripe inc.

Reaction score
Well, looks like I will be rescuing a 73 3.0CS four speed that has lived it’s whole life in California and was last registered in 1989. I won’t have it in my garage for a week or two and I wasn’t looking for a project but my local enablers convinced me it could be a fun if not tedious project. I will post more photos when I bring it home.

View attachment 130912
Check out that turn signal lens!

View attachment 130913
Congrats ,love the original alloys

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
...love the original alloys
Me too!

I don't know if you've already answered this, Chris, but are you keeping them on the car? I believe that at some point in time (maybe soon?) the stock wheels will be making a comeback. As these beautiful cars get scarcer and more expensive, originality may be becoming more important to a larger group.

From a purely personal perspective, I think the now popular larger diameter wheels and relatively thin sidewall tires just aren't a great look with wheel well shapes that were designed for 14" wheels and lots of black sidewall showing. Trying to "update" a 50 year old car doesn't always work as well as the original (this from a guy that has built more hot rods and modified cars than stockers :) )

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Dick, I will be switching to 14” Alpina 20 spoke wheels, I think the extra inch of width looks great and I will keep 195-70 tires, I just wish the Pirellis were available in that size but I don’t want to wait. My plan is to bring it to Legends in August.

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Dick, I will be switching to 14” Alpina 20 spoke wheels, I think the extra inch of width looks great and I will keep 195-70 tires, I just wish the Pirellis were available in that size but I don’t want to wait. My plan is to bring it to Legends in August.
Period correct for the win! :cool:

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Even they are not available right now.
Longstone has them for 1,100 quid set of 4:

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
How do you like them Steve? Quiet and smooth?
Very. And not that you’ll likely need it, but also very capable in the rain. With the Alpinas they don’t look too fat because the wider rim absorbs some of that, and not skinny either. As soon as I have recovered from engine rebuilding etc expenses I will get another set asap before they decide to stop making them.