Chamonix 3.0CS Restoration

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Very. And not that you’ll likely need it, but also very capable in the rain. With the Alpinas they don’t look too fat because the wider rim absorbs some of that, and not skinny either. As soon as I have recovered from engine rebuilding etc expenses I will get another set asap before they decide to stop making them.
Steve, how old are your current tire? Are you concerned if you buy more they will age out before you use them?

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Steve, how old are your current tire? Are you concerned if you buy more they will age out before you use them?
I bought mine in March 2017, starting to show wear from a slight misalignment/negative camber plate after all these years. I had a bad accident in 1982 on a highway bridge because of an old tire blowing out so I've been paranoid since. Also before I rolled my fenders I took some slices out of a couple of them. So yes, these are all contributing to me putting another set on the want list. Still lots of tread otherwise. Not to mention I love how they look and still look back to admire the sidewall and tread pattern.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Ordered the CN36 from Longstone, 14x7 Alpinas in for repair and refurb, Paul’s lowering springs installed in rear, I believe they will settle in nicely but it is too early to tell. Can’t drive as seats are being recovered.
IMG_6609.jpeg

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
After spending multiple hours doing what should be simple tasks it is easy to get frustrated and think you aren’t making much progress. The last several days have lifted my spirits as the dash is now in, the carpets are installed, door seals are in, A and B pillar trims are in and the front and rear windshields are in as well. It looks like a coupe again! I should have put my Petri in before I snapped this pic. I still need to install grab rail, a/c evap box, vapor barriers and such but I need to play with the door glass a bit first. Also, all four Paul Burke lowering springs are now in and even without seats, spare tire and other items the stance is much improved, the Pirellis will be that much better.

IMG_6626.jpeg
IMG_6627.jpeg

Wobdog

a.k.a Mike
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Chris
I do find satifaction in your comment "After spending multiple hours doing what should be simple tasks it is easy to get frustrated and think you aren’t making much progress" Coming from someone who knows how to do everthing it is comforting to know that you encounter the same challenges I do.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Spent another day cleaning and installing the rollers in the rear door window track, they were seized solid with old grease. I soaked them in gasoline and used a wire brush to get the old grease out. How many knew your door has these?

IMG_6635.jpeg

Still not perfect as I have new felt channel as well, finally got passenger door adjust well, only takes a partial slam! Grab rail finally in, getting light switch in was a challenge, I eventually used a clamp to pull it tight to the dash. This is what happens when you recover a dash, everything gets tighter. I installed Alvaro’s vapor barriers but put them on the door cards instead. If I said I would never remove door cards again I would be a liar at some point. This way they protect the door card but I have access to the door as well. Also adjusted door belt trim again so it is tight to door handle and perfectly horizontal front and rear.
IMG_6637.jpeg
IMG_6638.jpeg

Now where is my BFH? lol

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Cleaned driver door window track and rollers. Unless you remove these you will never remove the old grease and new grease on top will not solve your problems.

IMG_6643.jpeg

Spent another three hours adjusting driver door glass, doors now close better than they did on Malaga, I’m surprised. Drove it ten miles, need to check engine systems as it runs a bit rough but it is strong. I hope it is from sitting but I will pull plugs, check valves and points again.

IMG_6646.jpeg

Refinished Alpinas will be ready next week and will mount the Pirellis, I finally feel like I’m getting closer. And a big thank you to @Paul Baker for the springs, I like the ride, firm but definitely not harsh, perfect for a grand touring coupe.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
So satisfying when you can fix a stumble when accelerating. My friend John came over and suggested we clean the idle jets, not the idle mixture jets. Top stack has to come off of the carb, one long idle jet in each carb, one had an obstruction. Decided to also pull both main jets and secondary jets, one of the main caps was blocked. Runs nice and quick now, will still need to check idle richness as Paul and I adjusted that before paint and with idle jet plugged it should make a difference.
IMG_4891.jpeg

FanofBMW3.0CSi

Reaction score
After spending multiple hours doing what should be simple tasks it is easy to get frustrated and think you aren’t making much progress. The last several days have lifted my spirits as the dash is now in, the carpets are installed, door seals are in, A and B pillar trims are in and the front and rear windshields are in as well. It looks like a coupe again! I should have put my Petri in before I snapped this pic. I still need to install grab rail, a/c evap box, vapor barriers and such but I need to play with the door glass a bit first. Also, all four Paul Burke lowering springs are now in and even without seats, spare tire and other items the stance is much improved, the Pirellis will be that much better.

View attachment 163448View attachment 163449

View attachment 163448View attachment 163449
Nice carpet. Where did you get it?