CSL restoration beginning

Kizilsakal

Site Donor
Reaction score

Stefan

Reaction score
If cars could talk...

Hi All

I actually started posting about my CSL in the photo gallery ( http://e9coupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10520 ) but decided this part of the site is more appropriate.

it's a 72 CSL with an intresting history. It's been through tough times.

I am disassembling it right now.
The pictures are on flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/kizilsakal/sets

take a look and tell me what you thing...
every input is appreciated

You have a long way to from this start position. Your baby has been through a lot.
What is your intention with the restoring?
Add location in your personal data. That will help you in search for items and help from nearby E9 fellows.

Keep us updated.

Best of luck
Stefan

DJSimca

Reaction score
Yes, there's a lot of work involved in getting this baby back to former glory ... but it is great that you are saving her ;-)

Kizilsakal

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi all,

I went to essen last weekend, what a show!!

I was like a kid in a candy store. and found 2 binders which were original parts catalogs for the E9 at a spanish guys booth. including the CSL. so the whole trip was worth it. unfortunately not many parts contacts. mercedes had much more.

any way I found this when i got back at a junkyard.
on the casting it says 1266599
would it fit my engine?
any recommendations?

take care

Attachments

• intake 2.jpg
    intake 2.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 329
  • intake 1.jpg
    intake 1.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 326
Last edited:

Kizilsakal

Site Donor
Reaction score
disassembly finally finished

What a mess!!! the amount of dirt that filled the garage from the car is quite something. A lot of wierd , non-bmw parts came out of the car, but at last I have finished taking everything apart.

pictures at http://www.flickr.com/photos/kizilsakal/sets/72157631829812233/

now I will build a rottisserie for the car. strenghten the body with some cross members. and send it to sand blasting.

Any tips on these matters?

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
any way I found this when i got back at a junkyard.
on the casting it says 1266599
would it fit my engine?
any recommendations?

Yes, this intake setup will fit the 3.0 engine. If the car has the later b35 head then you will need to port the upper section of the intake manifold stubs.

Are you attempting to make it a stock d-jet system, a newer L-jet, or more modern EFI system? The setup in the photos looks like it has the L-jet fuel rail.

Looks like you are making good progress on the disassembly. The next part will be scary, as the paint is removed, revealing everything underneath.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
I think I would get it acid dipped rather than sand blasting, as the E9 has a lot of hidden cavities.

Kizilsakal

Site Donor
Reaction score
What are your intentions for the car? When you say strengthen, what are you thinking, strengthen for the work you are doing or.......seam welding, you could also box in the front chassis legs to bulkhead.....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v384/frogisland/e9 temp/chassisleg.jpg

JP

JP i was thinking about doing it for the work i will be doing, so the cars geometry doenst change on the rotisserie. but the picture you have sent me also gave me new ideas. The car will be a bit modified powerwise at the end, so stregthening the chassis is also a good idea. what else can i do for that?

Thanks

Kizilsakal

Site Donor
Reaction score
I think I would get it acid dipped rather than sand blasting, as the E9 has a lot of hidden cavities.

I couldn't find a place for acid dipping in Turkey. Maybe I should open up a place :) there are a few classic car enthusiats here.

I also wanted to dip the car in some kind of rust prevention solution but that is also not available here.

Turkey is a beautiful country but hard to live in sometimes :?

Kizilsakal

Site Donor
Reaction score
Yes, this intake setup will fit the 3.0 engine. If the car has the later b35 head then you will need to port the upper section of the intake manifold stubs.

Are you attempting to make it a stock d-jet system, a newer L-jet, or more modern EFI system? The setup in the photos looks like it has the L-jet fuel rail.

Looks like you are making good progress on the disassembly. The next part will be scary, as the paint is removed, revealing everything underneath.

Thanks Sven

I am not sure about which efi system I will use but I will probably go with a modern one since the rest of the system was not on the car and probably hard to find.

I read about megasquirt in a few places, what would you recommend?

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I am biased towards the megasquirt. It is working very well for me and has some great features, as well as being user friendly with almost everything being adjustable.

There is a version that is plug and play (SFDon has been installing a bunch of these) that work for converting a coupe that was previously converted to a Motronic 1.3 EFI. However, if you are starting from scratch, then MS provides an ECU box and labeled wiring loom. You just need to install the appropriate hardware, fuses, relays, and add connectors to the needed wires.

pamp

Reaction score
Odd....

What I am seeing on that intake log is the additional port to the left of the cold start injector.
Looks like some kind of vacuum filter pressed into it. Also it lacks the two ports on the right that would be for the MAP sensor and the brake booster, although I see the casting bumps and not drilled for the fittings. Weird. Looks like a D-jet TPS. Wonder what that piece came off of....What is the number on the injectors?

Kizilsakal

Site Donor
Reaction score
I don't know which car this manifold is from. I got lucky and found it in the garage of some guy who makes drift car out of 80's-90's bmw's. He didn't know that this was a manifold, he was used to the later model ones.
anyway I'll check the number on the injectors but they might not be the original to this manifold.

I've checked the gasket from my cylinderhead with this manifold and the ports match. The engine on my car is from a 3.0 bavaria, I didn't check the number on the cylinderhead. It may or maynot be from the bavaria becouse it seems at some point this car was modified by Alpina but I am guessing that, that engine was taken out and this was put in.

I guess I have a lot of detective work I should be doing.

Kizilsakal

Site Donor
Reaction score
After 5 years I thought maybe I should get going with the CSL. So yesterday I took it to the body guy, and today we started stripping ( the PAINT).
I have decided to make it a road legal car not a race car. I will try to return it back to the state when it was modified in the 70's.
i want to make it as much fun to drive as possible while keeping its soul.
any help, tips, comments, suggestions are welcome and mandatory :)

There are many layers to take off.

33739583100_f151d2d3fc_b.jpg

The car probably lost 10 kilos on the first day.
33282136984_b076cf8f77_b.jpg
Photo 18-04-2017, 18 08 03[/url] by kizilsakal714, on Flickr[/IMG]
33282136984_b076cf8f77_b.jpg

these discs make short work of the paint and the paint makes short work of them.

33313189243_9fbc1ca2ef_b.jpg

I like the built in bumper. It's unique

34124575725_6771aa09c6_b.jpg

the doors and boot lid are no longer aluminium I will change them later. but the engine lid is.

33739575260_9ec8034d90_b.jpg

I am glad to uncover these two holes

33966962372_1d09051cc3_b.jpg

Today's progress

33313186973_3bf1464815_b.jpg

NEW PICS TOMORROW..

Marc-M

Reaction score
Your doors skins are an easy fix to put them back to aluminium - but you will need a few extra aluminium re enforcements glued to the new skin by the door handle - I can send you pictures of that if you go down that route...
MM

Kizilsakal

Site Donor
Reaction score
Your doors skins are an easy fix to put them back to aluminium - but you will need a few extra aluminium re enforcements glued to the new skin by the door handle - I can send you pictures of that if you go down that route...
MM

Hi Marc

Thank you for the PM.
I do want to go back to aluminium doors so any info about those would be great.
Is the aluminium shielded from steel to prevent galvanic corrosion? I also own a classic range rover that's how I know.

Harun

Last edited: