Five speed conversion on bring a trailer

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
If you just send the box and not the bell housing, I’ll bet it is about $50 each way via FedEx ground or UPS. Call it $120 to cover a nice double layer cardboard box, and it’s still only 1/30th the cost of the transmission.

John
John,
I will definitely not ship any heavy, delicate items in a cardboard box. Have learned the hard way (just ask @HB Chris and @TedS ). However, the plastic tub that @Markos shows is a good solution, I think. That is how I received a rear diff from a forum member. I'd make sure there is a LOT of foam packing the case such that the shaft will never make contact with the tub. My new ethos is to try and pack it such that if you dropped the entire thing from about 10 feet in the air onto a concrete floor it would be unharmed. If it passes that test, it MIGHT just make it. ;)

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Great ideas. I was wondering how I might use Pete from the east coast. Rear end rebuild needed next winter.
Yeah, it seems that its not as easy as it once was to find a truck heading West with a car that has space for a dif or a transmission.

tygaboy

Reaction score
I shipped my Boxster trans from Petaluma, CA to AZ, boxed in a box (!) and it was $261.00 each way, on the transmission shop's FedEx account. So don't forget to ask the shop if they might offer you a shipping deal. BTW, I think this thing weighs in about 175 lbs. And I'm a metal fab guy so I'll tolerate no snarky comments about my carpentry skills (or lack thereof) !
IMG_5276.JPG

IMG_5280.JPG

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
I shipped a transmission like this a few years ago (in a larger bin), except I added a piece of plywood the size of the bottom of the box and strapped the tranny down so it could not move fore and/or aft.
When we moved from Austin to Jacksonville we needed to put all our stuff in storage first so I got a larger bin from Costco and made a base that fit inside. The 265/6 transmission, sans bell housing, was bolted down to the base and 4 vertical 2x4 were installed at the corners to support a thick plywood lid that was flush under the plastic one. Then wooden handles were screwed on the ends into the vertical 2x4 so it could be handled with confidence.
So, basically a wooden shipping crate with open sides, inside the plastic tub. It was so solid it supported a 10' stack of full bins on top with no issues during storage and shipping company moves.

halboyles

Site Donor
Reaction score
Use lots of high density foam so that the trans cannot move.

Attachments

• 20211029_111046.jpg
    20211029_111046.jpg
    495.9 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
not ship any heavy, delicate items in a cardboard box
I guess it all depends on how you pack it. I sent a gearbox 3 years ago in a cardboard box, safely. I used a 2” layer” of dense packaging foam inside the box. And within that the gearbox was mounted on a few 1/2” plywood panels that basically suspended it in the center (via the bell housing bolts and rear mount). Total cost of packaging was $20. Would it survive a 10ft drop? IDK, but I’m sure 5ft was no problem. Ok, what was $50 in 2018 is probably close to $100 today. Still, not horribly expensive relative to the value of the gearbox.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I shipped a couple 265s I think to CA from WA. One to @lytebrite.

I believe it was around $145 to ship via FedEx plus $20 for the box.

Used Lowe's plastic tubs. I drilled holes from the lid lip down and used a ton of zip ties.

OCCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
I keep seeing this thread pop up and I keep thinking hmmm, I have everything needed to convert a car to a 5-speed minus the driveshaft.

5-speed 265 that’s been gone through at Pete’s
Speedo cable
Clutch
Pressure plate
Throw out bearing
Pilot bearing
Throw out bearing lever
Clutch master
Clutch slave
Trans mount
Guibo
Center support bearing
Bolts
Shifter bushings
Shifter platform

the driveshaft can be ordered.

I’m sure there’s something I haven’t listed but I probably have that too?

Is all this worth $6,000.00 or will it be worth more if the auction keeps going up?

I might consider selling this as a kit.

I have also recently done this conversion to my own car. It really makes highway driving far more relaxing.

TedS

Site Donor $
Reaction score
My 265 arrived after a month being lost by FedEx and sans fancy crate. It appeared on my porch covered only in shrink wrap and with a broken mount. I wouldn't trust Fedex with anything bigger than a pouch. Definitely screw down a lid and make it hard for anyone to see what's inside.

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
My 265 arrived after a month being lost by FedEx and sans fancy crate. It appeared on my porch covered only in shrink wrap and with a broken mount. I wouldn't trust Fedex with anything bigger than a pouch. Definitely screw down a lid and make it hard for anyone to see what's inside.
FedEx is now horrible. They have lost the plot. I haven't had anything on time in the past 2 years and that's if I get it at all.

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
UPS isn't alot better...this new plastic bin shows that the box inside had better have some integrity as well....(this was only an intake and associated parts, so not really that heavy)
I could maybe understand if it was 26 degrees outside, but it was about a month ago...

Attachments

• FI parts crate damage.JPG
    FI parts crate damage.JPG
    52.6 KB · Views: 79

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
My 265/5 is sitting on a dolly awaiting cleanup at the very least. It worked in my car before disassembly, but I never really drove it enough to know if it is in good condition or ready for some rework. I am assuming there are people somewhere in the Midwest that can work on this transmission - or is Pete of Pete's Gear Shop worth the shipping to CA and back (which would probably cost as much as another 265/5)?
Metric Mechanic was still operating in southern MO about 5 years when I talked to the owner. Much closer than CA, and they have a long reputation for both engine and transmission rebuilding.

Gary

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
UPS isn't alot better...this new plastic bin shows that the box inside had better have some integrity as well....(this was only an intake and associated parts, so not really that heavy)
I could maybe understand if it was 26 degrees outside, but it was about a month ago...

I’ve shipped heavy car parts in a plastic bin. I used one that was kinda soft and therefore doesn’t crack when dropped ( maybe Rubbermaid ) the problem with most plastic bins is they’re too brittle.

A foam in place box is best, IMHO.

Bert Poliakoff

Site Donor
Reaction score
I use insulation foam. You can buy 4 x 8 sheets and 4X4 sheets at Home Depot to fully line the container. I also put some scraps of 1 x 2 around the top edge of the container so you can screw the top down.

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have been outbid on this, by 20%, $8k. I thought I'd bid a FMV and be done, but @Wayne9 decided to go in strong. He will likely be the winner of this, although he has no e9 to put it in, although he has unsuccessfully low-balled a bunch of e9's before. https://bringatrailer.com/member/wayne9/. Seems like he put the cart ahead of the horse on this one. He should have first bid a fair amount for an e9, and if an auto or 4sp, then and only then bid on the 5 speed.

This leaves me waiting and wanting a 5 speed, although not willing to pay above market, whatever that is.

In the meantime, do you think I should upgrade to:

"But wait! There is more! I’ve had a number of private conversations with interested parties, many with different goals in doing this conversion. To help facilitate the common denominators in these projects I am adding in a BMW 3.64:1 sideloader differential to this ‘kit’. This is the ‘sweet spot’ in improving acceleration in 1st through 4th gears while also achieving more relaxed and lower revs, in 5th, on the highway. This is a very common upgrade from a 3.25:1 diff."

Any bets on whether the auction ends at $8k?

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Scott, the 3:64 will slightly increase your revs but will slightly increase acceleration
the 3:45 in 4th will do 64 @ 3000 rpm and 79 in 5th (if you have a 5th gear).
the 3:64 in 4th will do 61@ 3000 rpm and 75 in 5th
the 3:25 in 4th will do 68 @ 3000 rpm and 84 in 5th.

imho, the 3:25 is desirable if you do a lot of highway driving or have a close ratio 5 speed - with the close ratio, 5th gear is like your 4th gear. without the close ratio, acceleration will be less.