Getting this 3.0CSi back on the road

Philippe db

Reaction score
Hi Robert,

Big congrats on the end result. Not factory stock but very tasteful.

Also enjoyed this thread a lot and have but the highest respect for what you achieved.

Hope you are able to tackle the engine problems. You just need to find somebody who knows what he's doing and I'm sure it will be sorted out.

Enjoy the fruits of all our hard work and if you ever get tiered of her send me a PM.

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Robert,
Big congrats on the end result. Not factory stock but very tasteful.
Also enjoyed this thread a lot and have but the highest respect for what you achieved.
Hope you are able to tackle the engine problems. You just need to find somebody who knows what he's doing and I'm sure it will be sorted out.
Enjoy the fruits of all our hard work and if you ever get tiered of her send me a PM.

Thank you Philippe!

Yes, it turned out great considering it's basically only been me and my dad working on it, except paint and some help with the welding. None of us had any experience with car restorations before, and certainly not E9s, so we didn't have a clue what we got into that day five years ago when we went to look at it, but maybe that's a good thing, I don't know.
All I know is we both gained a ton of experience from it, and the time we spent together doing it will be something to remember for the rest of our lives, so even if it seemed pointless and endless at times, it was well worth it in the end.
He's keeping his eyes open for a coupe for himself now, so who knows if we end up doing another again:eek:

I'm sure I'll figure out the ignition problems when I have time to look at it :) It's fully driveable, so not that urgent.

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
One of my all time favorite forum threads.
Amazing work.
Congrats

Thank you!
Robert , forget engine swap or 123 ignition for awhile , first rear spoiler ! :D:D

Yes I should do something about the spoiler, but I'll need to shut the ends to prevent things from collecting inside the spoiler in the long run, but one of the few things I really dislike playing with is glass fiber..
So it easily slips down the list of things to do everytime I think of it:rolleyes:
I kinda like the spoiler-less look more than I thought I would, too.

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
I love these extra aerodynamic accessories but the thought of drilling holes in a rust free front fender are too much for me to bear.

I would prefer a version of the front wind splits with a series of neodymium magnets cast inside (with perhaps a 1/8" layer of the rubber between the magnets and the exposed bottom). These would easily hold the wind splits in place at speeds up to 200mph yet not require holes in the fenders and be removable for cleaning. This attachment method might even be strong enough for the small boot spoiler.

I have a Zaparace rear spoiler (made without a real rubber lip, thus MUCH lighter and less stressful on the rear lid torsion springs), and I intend to use ND magnets to devise an attachment scheme which requires no holes/screws in my boot lid.

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
I love these extra aerodynamic accessories but the thought of drilling holes in a rust free front fender are too much for me to bear.

I would prefer a version of the front wind splits with a series of neodymium magnets cast inside (with perhaps a 1/8" layer of the rubber between the magnets and the exposed bottom). These would easily hold the wind splits in place at speeds up to 200mph yet not require holes in the fenders and be removable for cleaning. This attachment method might even be strong enough for the small boot spoiler.

I have a Zaparace rear spoiler (made without a real rubber lip, thus MUCH lighter and less stressful on the rear lid torsion springs), and I intend to use ND magnets to devise an attachment scheme which requires no holes/screws in my boot lid.

I'm very against drilling holes in the car as well, I'm planning on using double sided tape for my ducktail spoiler, but I have yet to find the correct tape that can take the forces involved.
Anybody know exactly which tape to use for this?

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I'm very against drilling holes in the car as well, I'm planning on using double sided tape for my ducktail spoiler, but I have yet to find the correct tape that can take the forces involved.
When in doubt I always try to see if 3M offers something in that area. I've always found their products to be high quality. They have a double sided tape for car emblems. It would take a fair bit of it for a spoiler but it might be worth checking into that.

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Yes I should do something about the spoiler, but I'll need to shut the ends to prevent things from collecting inside the spoiler in the long run, but one of the few things I really dislike playing with is glass fiber..
So it easily slips down the list of things to do everytime I think of it:rolleyes:
I kinda like the spoiler-less look more than I thought I would, too.

It's all a personal taste issue of course but I've always been of the less is more school of thought. To me all these added accessories detract from the purity of the car. For example I really like that you have omitted the cs emblem on the trunk. The only exception is a bit of a front spoiler because from the side, the car looks like it had its chin cut off.

Reactions: JDH

Wladek

Reaction score
3M tape will do the job. I used it about 4 years ago on my daily driver car trunk spoiler and till today was no problems.

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
When in doubt I always try to see if 3M offers something in that area. I've always found their products to be high quality. They have a double sided tape for car emblems. It would take a fair bit of it for a spoiler but it might be worth checking into that.
3M tape will do the job. I used it about 4 years ago on my daily driver car trunk spoiler and till today was no problems.

Yes, a 3M product would be nice, but they have alot of different tapes, and several of them would probably be good enough to do the job, but I haven't found any for sale, not locally and not on ebay.
But as the spoiler is not painted yet, I haven't given it alot of time to search either. If you have the specific code for the tape you used Wladek, I'd appreciate it!

It's all a personal taste issue of course but I've always been of the less is more school of thought. To me all these added accessories detract from the purity of the car. For example I really like that you have omitted the cs emblem on the trunk. The only exception is a bit of a front spoiler because from the side, the car looks like it had its chin cut off.

I agree, Bo, less is more.
And I also agree that the form and the style of the coupe is cleanest without a spoiler, but at the same time I really like the ducktail spoiler..:D

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Yes, a 3M product would be nice, but they have alot of different tapes, and several of them would probably be good enough to do the job, but I haven't found any for sale, not locally and not on ebay.
Try this one. Available on amazon
3M (38583) 1/4" x 15' Exterior Attachment Tape

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Today is spot the cap nut day, your impeccable engine compartment would bet set off well with the proper cap nuts on the strut tops. Stunning work!

Wladek

Reaction score
But as the spoiler is not painted yet, I haven't given it alot of time to search either. If you have the specific code for the tape you used Wladek, I'd appreciate it!
I used acrylic 3M (dark grey color), from what i saw now it is called 3M VHB. In general - it should be automotive tape (3M have such markings on their tapes).
3M have different thickness & wideness (i used according to my needs) - so you need to look at your spoiler inside surface shape, so was nothing more & nothing less of tape.
The difference between 3M & cheaper spares is that - on the beginning (first 24-48 hours after application) it might look that 3M have weak bonding, while cheaper tapes feel so strong, but after a week 3M is like a rock, while cheaper spares began to peel off.

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
Today is spot the cap nut day, your impeccable engine compartment would bet set off well with the proper cap nuts on the strut tops. Stunning work!

Thank you Steve! Yes, I have them in my garage, and I've had them installed on the car once already. But when I put on the camber plates not that long ago, I stupidly just presumed that the cap nuts won't bottom out because the studs looked quite short. Yeah.. well, they bottom out too soon:rolleyes:
I may wait until I order one of daddywads Alpina replica strut braces before I do something about it, I don't want to cut them too short either.

Spot them;)
Screen Shot 2017-09-02 at 23.38.46.png

Try this one. Available on amazon
3M (38583) 1/4" x 15' Exterior Attachment Tape

I used acrylic 3M (dark grey color), from what i saw now it is called 3M VHB. In general - it should be automotive tape (3M have such markings on their tapes).
3M have different thickness & wideness (i used according to my needs) - so you need to look at your spoiler inside surface shape, so was nothing more & nothing less of tape.
The difference between 3M & cheaper spares is that - on the beginning (first 24-48 hours after application) it might look that 3M have weak bonding, while cheaper tapes feel so strong, but after a week 3M is like a rock, while cheaper spares began to peel off.

Thank you both, great info! Helps to know what to look for:)