Heartbreak-broken rear shock mount

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I finally decided to bite the bullet and get started on this. For context, my car still had the original BOGE shocks but the right side had evidently broken and a really poor fix had been made by the previous owner. Since my rear window is out, I really wanted to take advantage of that and do a proper repair on that bad side but also do the same to the other at the same time. First thing to do was to remove the shocks and cut off the top of the tower. I started with the left side because 1) easier cutting access since I am right handed and 2) I wanted to send the good one to the machinist so he can build a replacement cap to the exact dimensions.

The horror side:
IMG_9177.jpg

After examining the removed good cap, a few things became evident. And most of them have been alluded to somewhere along this very long thread.

The design of this shock mount is not necessarily bad. But it clearly is the manufacturing that is the problem. Specifically, they added that washer at the top (presumably to reinforce that section which is under a lot of stress) but they only secured it with 6 tiny spot welds to the top of the tower. Not only is this weak but it creates 6 point from which spider cracks start to develop as illustrated on @autokunst pictures.

So looking at this good one, it seems pretty clear that, unless yours have actually broken off (as in my case), one could easily add enormous strength by simply seam welding all along the outer AND the inner edge of that washer. I think that, even if some tiny spider webs have started, this is a relatively straightforward non destructive preventative measure that would ensure peace of mind for many years.

IMG_9194.jpg

IMG_9197.jpg

IMG_9198.jpg

IMG_9201.jpg

Last edited:

halboyles

Site Donor
Reaction score
I took some measurements as requested earlier:
Thank you Bo for taking the time to include the measurements and detailed pics. Our '74 has both towers welded around the edge of the top washers and the passenger's side has six bolts for more reinforcement. This all happened on the first owner's watch so I don't know why the two towers were treated differently.

As a possible alternative to just welding the towers in their original configuration, I had worked on a rear tower reinforcement design for emergency or pre-emptive use based on Steve Hose's initial design:

I have a CNC facility ready to produce these. For anyone interested, the cost is about $180 shipped in the US and perhaps less if we have a dozen or more interested folks. Please post your interest on this thread to make it easier to keep track of requests.

I carry a set of these for my own protection, but also in case a fellow E9'r runs into tower trouble.

Attachments

• 20220204_154109.jpg
    20220204_154109.jpg
    255.2 KB · Views: 103
  • 20220204_154143.jpg
    20220204_154143.jpg
    269.8 KB · Views: 106

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thank you Bo for taking the time to include the measurements and detailed pics. Our '74 has both towers welded around the edge of the top washers and the passenger's side has six bolts for more reinforcement. This all happened on the first owner's watch so I don't know why the two towers were treated differently.

As a possible alternative to just welding the towers in their original configuration, I had worked on a rear tower reinforcement design for emergency or pre-emptive use based on Steve Hose's initial design:

I have a CNC facility ready to produce these. For anyone interested, the cost is about $180 shipped in the US and perhaps less if we have a dozen or more interested folks. Please post your interest on this thread to make it easier to keep track of requests.

I carry a set of these for my own protection, but also in case a fellow E9'r runs into tower trouble.
I did see that. Did you have a chance to test it? I am concerned about that inner wall thickness in those photos. It is difficult to insert the shocks and slide their bottom end onto the big M14 bolt as it is. I think anything that makes the inner diameter of the shock tower even smaller may create problems.

halboyles

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have not had a chance to test the piece in place. When I get the coupe up on a lift for shocks replacement, I will check.
Since Steve used this same design on his tower replacements, I was assuming that there was sufficient clearance.

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I think the design is good. It’s just that the wall thickness should not be any more than the tower thickness (2.2mm) in my opinion

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I didn’t have any clearance issues. I compressed the shock, mounted it on the M14 bolt then released it up into the tower. The replacement piece is incredibly strong and provides much peace of mind w/Bilsteins.

boonies

Site Donor $$
Reaction score

Hal, I had to go back through the posts and I think your CNC solution is this one:

1654786518378.png

I am interested in purchasing a solution, but would really like to see the fitment in action before doing so.

boonies

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I picked up a set of Hal's CNC shock tower caps and am waiting to take the coupe in to a welding shop recommended by the body shop that will do some repairs on the coupe in the coming weeks. In preparation for that work I pulled the elephant skins and floor coverings out. I knew that the shock towers had some repairs done prior to my ownership, and my findings today confirm that the planned repairs are needed.

IMG_5041.JPG
IMG_5042.JPG

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
FYI; the last picture shows an incorrect washer between nut and tower.
It looks like one of the washers that come with a set of Bilsteins dampers, but should not be installed. Use the correct bmw part instead (abour 25 euro here in Eu!), or the other 4usd US car part mentioned on this forum yesterday, or the day before. (Sorry, I can't remember the poster)

boonies

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
FYI; the last picture shows an incorrect washer between nut and tower.
It looks like one of the washers that come with a set of Bilsteins dampers, but should not be installed. Use the correct bmw part instead (abour 25 euro here in Eu!), or the other 4usd US car part mentioned on this forum yesterday, or the day before. (Sorry, I can't remember the poster)
Thanks @eriknetherlands , I have the correct bushings on the shelf and am waiting for a set of rea shocks to be back in stock to purchase as well. The bilsteins feel like rock in the Bach and mush in front.
plans are to replace all the rubber front and rear as well.

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
Why anyone would continue to mess with Bilstein is beyond me. The Spax adjustable are 5x better in my opinion. And 30 seconds to change compression and dampening seconds depending on the drive you want is a revelation.

Krzysztof

Site Donor
Reaction score
Diameter is to be as in original, so the old one needs to be cut or the repair part should be stretched for fitting over the old one. In any case I would expect the top of the old has to be cut out.

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Good news Gentleman!

"Tlocznia blach" finally released rear shock tower repair part stamped from 2mm thick steel.
It should be already available in the Web Shop.

View attachment 158128
Very nice looking piece of work! But I would have expected them to seam weld that "washer" all along its outer edge rather then simply do these 9 spot welds. That would make it much stronger. Unless I am missing something, this seems very much like the original design which has been causing all these failures

Krzysztof

Site Donor
Reaction score
Very nice looking piece of work! But I would have expected them to seam weld that "washer" all along its outer edge rather then simply do these 9 spot welds. That would make it much stronger. Unless I am missing something, this seems very much like the original design which has been causing all these failures

I can thank you in a name of the Owner of the Company.
Forum need was one of the reasons to start producing that part.

Reading all the thread about that weak point of E9 we can learn there are many different ways towards repair, replication and improvements.

The part was created to be as similar to original one as possible. It means it will probably survive more than we, Users when mounted on the car.

Everyone can do with it different modifications like welding, screwing, stretching but the base is here. Many would use it as is to keep the originality even with the know how about the weak points such design has.

Being an E9 owner I'm happy we can get such part off the shelf. I hope you as well.

This is probably not the latest "word" from the Company in regards to unique body repair elements, so we may expect more of such masterpieces still this year.

I'll keep for Them.