"Mad Max's " S54 powered E9 project

zinz

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
whoa... no small undertaking, for sure. Nicely done, though. Kudos to your skills...

Ed

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
having personally walked around this build recently and seen the green race car ... Brendan is an excellent builder of an extreme machine. amazing workmanship, well thought out ... and there is no such thing as half-ass work in his vocabulary.

bdigel

Reaction score
Jumping around , to a different project today. We got some interior work done today . Like most of these cars a lot of the interior is in disrepair , disintergrated , missing , broken rusted , etc, etc. That to Scott perkins aka rsporsche who gave us a beat down rear package tray , we used for a templet , cut out a new piece of wood and covered it in new vinyl . re installed the rear seats to test fit the new piece , and did some work on the side panel's , Thanks to Peter C and his wood skills , he sent a test piece stained in ebony that we installed to see how it would look ,

The new panel test fit before getting covered

a nice snug fit with the seats

the new piece covered in new black vinyl

Interior starting to come together

very excited to see how the interior would work with the "outlaw " floorboards

Peter C . wood work fit in the German outlaw

Can't thank Peter C and Scott enough , thank you guys for the help , Really shows how great the E9 community is !

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Working on the new pieces this week, please email me some photo's of the dash, you could even send it to me and I could get it ready in stock formation in time for the Vintage... I hope. Also, that piece you have is just a color test, I have 4 pieces getting done now- too many imperfections in the sample to use in your car.
I did some preliminary measuring and the gauge cluster from my 996 tt would fit perfectly in the original wood and offer much greater accuracy and functionality.

Happy Easter everyone!

bdigel

Reaction score
a few random updates

experimenting with a wrinkle red valve cover deco piece

Front grill, center grill head lts getting put together

tail light's cleaned up and installed

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $
Reaction score
And wood pieces- still polishing dust on them but they're black and shiny. Once they're installed I hope they are what you were looking for, I test fitted them and they look pretty good- I must say and the grain is visible through the clear . Measuring out the door-pull supports to drill the final hole.
mad max.JPG

bdigel

Reaction score
finally finished the e 36 front suspension swap . Got all the modfications to the modified subframe done

raised and sectioned the subframe

boxed in the raised pickup point for strength

boxed in the sectioned out portion of the subframe ,

installed back in the car with the control arm in place

the grafted in mounts for the upper pickup point for the control arm

bdigel

Reaction score
while the engine was out of the car getting the subframe fixed , I took the opportunity to service and detail the engine. checked the bearings, cleaned and freshened up brackets, , etc

A pile of cleaned up parts ready to be reinstalled

bags of new hardware from BMW

cleaned up oilpan reinstalled with all new hardware , and gaskets

Installed all new longer exhaust studs for the new headers

new headers installed

Bmachine

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
...re installed the rear seats to test fit the new piece

!
So uhhh... At this point, we ignore the irony of a dramatic weight saving effort on the floor board combined with comfy looking rear seats and a hat deck just above it, right?

Ok cool.
Just making sure...

;)

Last edited:

bdigel

Reaction score
skipping some of the tedious stuff that been done lately to show you guys some exciting bling . After cutting up the stock airbox to remove the airhorns/ trumpets I was left with some rather unattractive pieces. I had them painted , and a machinist made some rings to hold some screens for filters on

stock horns still contained in the airbox

naked on the engine

painted horns

Filter rings

screens cut out and filter assemblies installed

test fit on to the engine, a few tweeks will needed to get them just right , but I think it adds a nice touch

bdigel

Reaction score
As you may have noticed from the above posted Video I actually got the car running . A huge step forward . We have been working all summer on the harness/ wiring . I had motorsport style harness's built for the chassis , and that was intergrated with the factory style S54 engine harness . after month's of intense work we got it fired up. still have to finish the detail of the cars wiring .

The project didn't come with any of the center council , I made this switch plate , racecar style , which holds circuit breakers in lew of fuse's . and window switch's and some button's for the S54 power . This in rough form currently

Behind the switch plate all of the car electronic's are housed in this box we built , this is the back side of the box as the milspec connectors are getting installed and the power block

The electronic's getting installed , new modern relay's wiper control , modern circuit breakers , switch's and an obd 2 port for ecu com

One of the milspec chassis harness completed Note the weather proof details of the harness, lightweight milspec wire's Raychem shrink wrap, expoxied sealed , etc. etc

close up of milspec style connector

bdigel

Reaction score
Thanks Peter < I will take you up on that offer as I get more of the console sorted out !

Here is some detail of the electronics inside the console

The front piece with the circuit breakers , ( instead of fuses), window switch's

the guts of the cars chassis electronic's , Relays , circuit breakers , wiper module , power distribution , and OBD 2 port

Back panel where the Mil spec connectors plug in

Relay's wired up

Battery , Power cable's wired up , and bulkhead connectors for trunk harness

Chassis harness and power cable routed , mounted