My 1972 CS project...

autobahn

Reaction score
Why finish one project when you can start another. That has been my motto with this car. It has been 10+ years and it's still not done. The past two months I have found some new energy to pump into this little sucker. We will see if I can have it done sometime this summer. They are hell to restore. I wanted to get the plate CS HELL but California DMV will not go for it. :-?

Here are some of the stages it has been through...

Early on...

sideshot-vi.jpg

Down to the metal she goes...

P2080016-vi.jpg

Painted under the hood...

P2160002-vi.jpg

Came home from the paint shop....

P3040047-vi.jpg

Color sanding for days on end... because I used Endura urethane paint.

IMG_8678-vi.jpg

As good as I could ever want it to be...

IMG_8675-vi.jpg

Finishing up the brakes, suspension etc.

P1010089-vi.jpg

Side shot with no trim and the refinished Alpina's...

IMG_6783-vi.jpg

Ahhhhh the motor. The best part of all...

Injection done by Chris Kiefer (La Jolla Independent)... He did an awesome job converting it over to 1.3! All the paint is Endura.

CS_craigs6602-vi.jpg

CS_craigs6603-vi.jpg

3-vi.jpg

44-vi.jpg

8-vi.jpg

The build:
3.5L B35 motor
1.3 Motronic with L-jet intake (E24 late harness)
5 speed close ratio trans
3.07 LSD
La Jolla Independent springs
Bilstein sports
La Jolla Independent strut bar
CSL Scheel seats
ST sway bars
Stahl headers
Alpina 16x7 16x8 wheels
E28 window motors
Gahh leather on rear seats

Last edited:

afeustel

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Beautiful. Nice work.

Are the intake components and valve cover, etc. painted or power coated?

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Appears to be Agave? Love the darker colors on the coupe, beautiful work. Will the CSL get the same treatment next?

autobahn

Reaction score
Well, on the CSL... I am not sure yet. I need to finish the CS, then the Isetta 600, then a full on resto on my 2002. So, not too soon. :) Unless I find a bucket full of money under my deck or something. The coupe was going to be Agave but they messed it up and mixed it too dark. But I like it better.

autobahn

Reaction score
I spent almost 4 hours on the car today... and the only thing I got done was installing the lower rockers and inside sill plates. Man... coupes are just the most difficult cars to restore.

Gazz

Site Donor
Reaction score
Looking good Sean.
I'm just starting out but I have a major head start in picking up a restored bare shell with all of its parts, mostly, restored. Hope you don't mind a few questions - Do you have any pics of the GAHH leather kit and are you happy with it? Did you get new interior door cards / panels and if so who from? I'm looking at buying new panels from Rogerstii but the doors are $500 ea and the rears are $300 ea plus $500 (Ouch that smarts! ) to ship to OZ, so if there is a cheaper, i.e. price not quality, alternative it would help. Thanks, Gazz.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
RogerTii is one of the most expensive parts sellers, he gets his stuff from BMW, like everyone else. Try Tomkinson BMW, door panel is $406. I shipped wheel arch covers to Oz for $220 and that box was much thicker than a door card, $500 is ridiculous.

threewebers

Reaction score
Time

I'm in the same boat! Nice things usually take time and building or restoring an e9 takes lot o patience... Wife's,kids,jobs,homes and other hobbies need attention also....

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
RogerTii is one of the most expensive parts sellers, he gets his stuff from BMW, like everyone else. Try Tomkinson BMW, door panel is $406. I shipped wheel arch covers to Oz for $220 and that box was much thicker than a door card, $500 is ridiculous.
not only is he expensive - his shipping is usually exorbitant.

autobahn

Reaction score
Looking good Sean.
I'm just starting out but I have a major head start in picking up a restored bare shell with all of its parts, mostly, restored. Hope you don't mind a few questions - Do you have any pics of the GAHH leather kit and are you happy with it? Did you get new interior door cards / panels and if so who from? I'm looking at buying new panels from Rogerstii but the doors are $500 ea and the rears are $300 ea plus $500 (Ouch that smarts! ) to ship to OZ, so if there is a cheaper, i.e. price not quality, alternative it would help. Thanks, Gazz.

I will take some and send them your way, or I will post them on the blog. They turned out great. I can't wait to put the carpet kit in. Sometime in the next two weeks. All of my wood is being refinished right now.. can't wait to see it!! I have some panels, what color do you need? I have blue, and tan.

Gazz

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks Sean, I've got some panels ( black ) which are actually in pretty good condition, however I'm doing a complete restoration using new where possible. Looking forward to seeing pics of the finished job.