Raven gets a new nest

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I seem to have caught a head cold, making life somewhat miserable for the past 24 hours. But I am still making a bit pf progress. Despite the runny nose, yesterday I installed the vintage Holophane lights on the ceiling. These will provide the overall general illumination in the space and I love them. I was worried that they'd be too bright and that I'd need to dim them down, but the light level seems just right. Of course, I'll use task lighting for up-close work. Their color temperature is warm, which I like - it contrasts with the harder materials and subject matter in the garage. I will have to do something about the acoustics in there. It is a big, rectangular, hard space and just having a conversation with someone is challenging. This will get better as I bring "stuff" in there to create some diffusion and absorption. I also treated my self to a new linesman pliers for the install. I have an okay pair in okay shape, but they were 2-hours away. So it was a nice little gift - the first new tool to accompany the garage.
View attachment 84137View attachment 84138

Poor man’s dynamat is the self-adhesive duct-lining at Lowe’s or HD—comes in rolls ~12” wide. I used it kill to vibrations in father-in-law’s wall caused by a/c line set. I’m not sure if it isn’t the exact thing some try to pass off as generic dynamat.

You know better than me, but the concrete floor is the real acoustic villain. I bought some HF stupid cheap floor matting a few days ago just to cover my basement floor while I run a compressor & saws down there. Made the family very happy, but seems wasteful b/c I’ll probably end up trashing it.

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
I will have to do something about the acoustics in there. It is a big, rectangular, hard space and just having a conversation with someone is challenging. This will get better as I bring "stuff" in there to create some diffusion and absorption.

An possible first place to put sound absorption mat would be in the ceiling & walls of the recess you've made for the top of the lift. It won't be quite as effective as ones placed on the main ceilings or walls, but it will be out of the way and won't collect dust or get hit.
You should pursue a systemic solution so you'll have to add absorption till you're happy with the end result.
I have soft floor tiles in front of the workbench and tool chests that I'm sure help in addition to the overhead storage shelves full of cardboard boxes and other oddly shaped items. I'm actually working on getting things out of the garage so I have space to work. The sound in my garage gets sucked up pretty quickly.

Last edited:

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
All this talk if sound deadening. Fill the garage with crap and revisit that later. :D
That's exactly my plan. "Treatments" are premature. I need to get some cars, tool boxes, storage cabinets, wall widgets, and who knows what else in there first. Then I'll see of something else is needed.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I've been resisting posting updates until there has been some significant change. Well this week we have just that. But first, some thoughts.

I'm still waiting for the city to close out the building and electrical permits. We've already received final approval on the building, but the electrical permit must be closed before the building permit closes out. The electrical inspector, who was extremely thorough, caught something that the electrician should have done/provided. It took almost two weeks for the electrician to come out and fix. There are great stories associated with this that should only be shared over cocktails. I also continue to find/reinforce some things that the builder should have done - or should have done better. Over time, we'll get there.

For the floor, I called in a favor from a decorative concrete company. Monday and Tuesday they were here grinding the floor. And today they are putting an industrial 2-part urethane finish on the floor. And let me tell you, WOW! Here's a pic with the first of two coats. They are out there putting the second coat on now, which will have "sharkgrip" mixed in with it. This is a virtually invisible texture that provides a great deal of slip resistance.
20200129-first coat.jpg

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I've been resisting posting updates until there has been some significant change. Well this week we have just that. But first, some thoughts.

I'm still waiting for the city to close out the building and electrical permits. We've already received final approval on the building, but the electrical permit must be closed before the building permit closes out. The electrical inspector, who was extremely thorough, caught something that the electrician should have done/provided. It took almost two weeks for the electrician to come out and fix. There are great stories associated with this that should only be shared over cocktails. I also continue to find/reinforce some things that the builder should have done - or should have done better. Over time, we'll get there.

For the floor, I called in a favor from a decorative concrete company. Monday and Tuesday they were here grinding the floor. And today they are putting an industrial 2-part urethane finish on the floor. And let me tell you, WOW! Here's a pic with the first of two coats. They are out there putting the second coat on now, which will have "sharkgrip" mixed in with it. This is a virtually invisible texture that provides a great deal of slip resistance.
View attachment 85507
Looks like marble to me. WoW!! I have serious garage envy.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score

View attachment 85507
okay so when is the party ... a 2020 must get together event

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score

Interesting, I hadn't heard of SharkGrip® before. I'd assumed that an anti-slip product would be a mineral, but it turns out it's a synthetic product, which upon reflection is good since it won't be as sharp as a mineral would be and thus not act like sandpaper. The Rust-Oleum product would be a lot more abrasive as aluminum oxide is what they do use for sandpaper. Though it would likely be more durable in high traffic areas.

H&C® SHARKGRIP® SLIP-RESISTANT ADDITIVE is a micronized polymer. with low-oil absorption and high-solvent resistance so it easily stirs into. most oil-based and water-based paints and other coatings. And the low. density allows it to stay well suspended in thin materials like stains.
www.hcconcrete.com › product › sharkgrip

Rust-Oleum® Anti-Skid Additive, when mixed with epoxy, latex or oil-based paints, stains, or sealers, creates a skid-resistant coating for concrete, wood, metal or fiberglass. Made from aluminum oxide, Rust-Oleum® Anti-Skid Additive is the hardest, most durable additive available.
www.rustoleum.com › consumer-brands › concrete-prep-and-accessories

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The big problem I see here is that you are now setting the bar so damn high... that whatever you do to your car in there will have to be at least at that level.
Kind of like what Robert Gransin did with his garage and car combo.
;-)
Yes, well, that's okay by me. The work of the Robert Gransins, ErikNetherlands, and about a dozen others that I should probably cite here are what I aspire to. But yes, Robert's garage is very nice. And larger than my little shack - more room to breath from what I can see.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The guys were there late applying the second coat of 2-part urethane. I think they didn't wait long enough before applying, and this morning I see a couple of roller marks, etc. Which is to say that after the first coat it looked a tiny bit better than it does now. BUT I AM NOT COMPLAINING! Oh my, it will make for a very nice nest indeed. Too nice for the likes of me. ;)

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
okay so when is the party ... a 2020 must get together event

I'll be in the Milwaukee area June 12,13 & 14 for the KisselKar Gathering in Hartford.
You know that I'd love to have you all over to inaugurate the garage. However - and I am not kidding - the garage is actually nicer than my house which is a dump. So I don't know that I want to admit to living there. That's kind of why I showed the other house first - to better represent what I would live in but for the geography of our lives right now. :D Maybe we should put a bathroom in the garage so no body has to go inside the house - ha ha.