The end is near....SCOTTeVEST's Baby

Status
Not open for further replies.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
+1 - especially since you use your car. I even think there was mention of the poodle doodles riding shotgun? I'd just do a nice clean and condition on the existing components and start enjoying. :D

Scott
I’m sure you’ll use seat covers for the furry friends and young children... if you want new leather, go for it.

Dohn

Reaction score
My repair shop does a lot of high-end restorations and they were telling me about a leather treatment you rub in and then cover your seats with plastic and leave them (or your car) out in the sun. The heat makes it soak in, and apparently it also cleans and conditions, even getting rid of the dark areas made by the dyes of shirts and pants. Recommended for light colored leathers. I'll check with them tomorrow for the name of the product.

By the way, if you have any problems getting roundels, Jack Sugameli at Big Dog Motorsports in Rock Hill, SC, 803-389-8176, has a set of NOS roundels for an e9.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Leatherique

My repair shop does a lot of high-end restorations and they were telling me about a leather treatment you rub in and then cover your seats with plastic and leave them (or your car) out in the sun. The heat makes it soak in, and apparently it also cleans and conditions, even getting rid of the dark areas made by the dyes of shirts and pants. Recommended for light colored leathers. I'll check with them tomorrow for the name of the product.

By the way, if you have any problems getting roundels, Jack Sugameli at Big Dog Motorsports in Rock Hill, SC, 803-389-8176, has a set of NOS roundels for an e9.

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Here's the video from today.

So, I got a call early this am from Benny asking me to run down the aluminum trim to his buddy about 1.5 hour away. He said he got me to the head of his line to start. I went down there and learned that it will be "about 3 weeks out" to get my trim done, although he may do the front/rear glass trim next week so we can at least put the glass in. Really bumming since you guys all gave me several sources to get this done early in the process but Gary said they do it there themselves.....
They are JUST now laying out all the parts I have purchased and they removed. I had hoped that all this organization could/should have been done much sooner, as I suggested.
Not sure what I can do at this point other than wait. It's looking like mid June at the earliest at this point. This could and should have been avoided...

Good news at least is that when it is all done, it will look amazing, I hope.

I decided that the interior is fine, at least for the time being. You were right with a little elbow grease it looks MUCH better. Any suggestions for best solution to clean?

It appears they can't find the metal/silver trim above the passenger dash shown in the image below. I hope it shows up from the wood guy who mentioned something about it.

Also, I need the weird clips shown here:
in the other image below for the door trim pieces? I inquired with Carl Nelson and confident he can source it.

I saw the bumpers aligned with the car and it looks great.

The CSL air dam still needs painting....

Getting closer, but feel so much further.

I had hoped/planned on driving it to California in April, then May, then early June. Not going to happen.

Such is life. The good news is that with the BAT e9 sale today at $49,500, I have to think my Coupe would sell for north of $60k or so, making almost all costs considered an investment.

Attachments

• IMG_2080.jpg
    IMG_2080.jpg
    724.4 KB · Views: 191
  • IMG_2075.JPG
    IMG_2075.JPG
    197.9 KB · Views: 196
Last edited:

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score

Attachments

• IMG_2076.JPG
    IMG_2076.JPG
    351.2 KB · Views: 160

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
It is so interesting to follow this project as it continues to unfold. The original challenge - the challenge of E9s that most people spend their time discussing - is the hidden corrosion and metalwork required to address it in a suitable manner. But now this project is demonstrating the importance of tracking all of the little tiny bits that came with taking the car apart. Knowing where they are, where they go, how to find different ones if yours are broken or missing. I think it is easy to argue that this aspect requires less technical skill (than metal re-fabrication), but quite a bit of time and effort none the less.

While I "think" I am doing okay with parts I personally take off my car, I still don't know what I don't have from the start - the car arrived somewhat incomplete. :eek: I foresee a lot of pics with me asking "what goes here?".

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
It is so interesting to follow this project as it continues to unfold. The original challenge - the challenge of E9s that most people spend their time discussing - is the hidden corrosion and metalwork required to address it in a suitable manner. But now this project is demonstrating the importance of tracking all of the little tiny bits that came with taking the car apart. Knowing where they are, where they go, how to find different ones if yours are broken or missing. I think it is easy to argue that this aspect requires less technical skill (than metal re-fabrication), but quite a bit of time and effort none the less.

While I "think" I am doing okay with parts I personally take off my car, I still don't know what I don't have from the start - the car arrived somewhat incomplete. :eek: I foresee a lot of pics with me asking "what goes here?".

Agreed
I had hoped and thought that the shop will take care of most of these things. It is as if they don’t know how to look at the schematics and identifying needed parts in advance or otherwise. I can’t imagine everyone who has their car restored is as active as I am. I could not of done it without all of your help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Agreed
I had hoped and thought that the shop will take care of most of these things. It is as if they don’t know how to look at the schematics and identifying needed parts in advance or otherwise. I can’t imagine everyone who has their car restored is as active as I am. I could not of done it without all of your help.

I don't blame the shop for not laying all that stuff out earlier. They don't have the space or the time to do it, as they are working on numerous cars. I think that most experienced shop guys can also look at a bag of trim parts and put them back in the right spot.

Misplacing things however, is unfortunate. You need to find that aluminum piece that goes above the wood. You can't buy one, and you will have a hell of a hard time finding one. It is screwed to the wood so it makes sense that the wood guy would have one. If you have to replace it, you may be buying a dashboard.

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
I don't blame the shop for not laying all that stuff out earlier. They don't have the space or the time to do it, as they are working on numerous cars. I think that most experienced shop guys can also look at a bag of trim parts and put them back in the right spot.

Misplacing things however, is unfortunate. You need to find that aluminum piece that goes above the wood. You can't buy one, and you will have a hell of a hard time finding one. It is screwed to the wood so it makes sense that the wood guy would have one. If you have to replace it, you may be buying a dashboard.
Found it!! Whew!!!

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
So, Benny specified that one of the clips is for the rear window area too. I wish he'd look at the schematic and identify parts. Sure would make this easier...
He also needs the seal on the front of the sunroof.
Calling La Jolla later today.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
So, Benny specified that one of the clips is for the rear window area too. I wish he'd look at the schematic and identify parts. Sure would make this easier...
He also needs the seal on the front of the sunroof.
Calling La Jolla later today.

I can media mail Benny the two-binder parts book if you think he needs it. You would be in charge of getting it back. It is the same schematics as realoem. It is in German however.

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
I can media mail Benny the two-binder parts book if you think he needs it. You would be in charge of getting it back. It is the same schematics as realoem. It is in German however.

He has this already but apparently doesn’t look at it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I think there are at least two distinct categories of service we're comparing here. The first is a "respray" or mild re-paint with some repair. I'd argue that this is the price category you are in with Benny's group, and would typically involve taking a few parts off, masking others, and doing some metal work, prep, and paint. Then there is a "restoration", which would involve removing/dismantling everything, cataloging all parts, determining whether each part requires refurbishment, replacement, or is missing. Researching/sourcing the necessary parts... Doing the same metal/prep/paint work. And then carefully re-assembling everything in the same manner as original, or some agreed upon deviation therein. Whole different price category, timeline, and level of service.

From the images, videos, and throes of this thread, I'd say you are getting a fair amount of restoration for what falls pretty squarely within respray pricing. This is somewhat supplemented by the time you (and others in the forum) are spending chasing things down and doing/providing the research. All in all, I'd estimate you are getting pretty good value. :)

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
I think there are at least two distinct categories of service we're comparing here. The first is a "respray" or mild re-paint with some repair. I'd argue that this is the price category you are in with Benny's group, and would typically involve taking a few parts off, masking others, and doing some metal work, prep, and paint. Then there is a "restoration", which would involve removing/dismantling everything, cataloging all parts, determining whether each part requires refurbishment, replacement, or is missing. Researching/sourcing the necessary parts... Doing the same metal/prep/paint work. And then carefully re-assembling everything in the same manner as original, or some agreed upon deviation therein. Whole different price category, timeline, and level of service.

From the images, videos, and throes of this thread, I'd say you are getting a fair amount of restoration for what falls pretty squarely within respray pricing. This is somewhat supplemented by the time you (and others in the forum) are spending chasing things down and doing/providing the research. All in all, I'd estimate you are getting pretty good value. :)

I agree COMPLETELY. Where we ended up is not nearly where we started and what Benny quoted admittedly. I think I am getting a good deal, but fair all around. My only complaint is that much of the work we are doing now, e.g. cleaning trim, etc., could have been done at the outset. Since I was unaware of the process, it would have been helpful to understand from the get-go that I should order ALL new rubber, etc. All will be well.

Once again, I can't thank all of you enough for your help in this process. Simply stated, I would be fucked without your help. Truly. Thanks so very very much.

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
Regarding the clips that hold the trim on the top of the doors, and I have asked this before
There must be a better way!
The clips work by cutting through the paint and into the metal of the door, therefore bare metal to rust

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Front bumper is on!
Some concerns about the ability to remove easily without taking headlights off, but starting to look awesome.
Placed yet another order with Carl Nelson via JP. They ROCK! BTW, elephant skin for trunk will be in stock later this week or soon if you need some.

SOOOO CLOSE!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.