The end is near....SCOTTeVEST's Baby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Scott, use the bumper, yes, the car looks sleek without it but much classier with it IMO. Think Jaguar XK without bumpers??? Also, there's just something about a tastefully modified e9 that gets lost when it's totally modded out- again, just my opinion

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
I’d like to second this recommendation, “fill in the US 1974 bumper holes and reproduce the narrow bumper slot for ‘73 and earlier that we are all used to. If you look at Scott's front end, there are big holes for the 1974 bumper shocks.”

If you get this done right, the look is fine without the front bumper because the slots for the early bumpers are quite small and are finished off with nice rubber grommets over them. The picture above from Markos shows these slots without the rubber grommets, so that is the worst case. I think it looks fine. You could even use those slots to make some driving light mounts...

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Scott, use the bumper, yes, the car looks sleek without it but much classier with it IMO. Think Jaguar XK without bumpers??? Also, there's just something about a tastefully modified e9 that gets lost when it's totally modded out- again, just my opinion

You make a very compelling argument and for that reason I am likely going to ultimately put it on but I find the lines of the car much better without it. It almost looks like braces on a supermodel

WALTER

Site Donor
Reaction score
Good remark Walter ! i once knew a body shop and that was the first thing they looked at with E9's .... if it was still there.
Don't think you can "grind" it away but with bondo.... :rolleyes:

I should have said "sand" it down so that it is no longer as distinct as it should be (think more rounded than creased). The line is very subtle and if you have a gorilla for a body guy doing the sanding it will lose its crispness...ask me how I know.

WALTER

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thank you Walter. I sent your concerns to Gary and Benny

Honestly this is one that you may want to make a visit on for a couple of reasons: You may not have had a distinct character line there before (from the previous paint job), so for them, there is nothing out of the ordinary or that they feel they have done to remove this line in the first place. Also, with black and other dark colors it is more difficult to see the line so I imagine it makes it harder for the body guys to get correct if the paint is not totally removed.

I would maybe save some pictures from the internet that clearly shows this line on the coupe and take it to your shop to show the body guy and then walk over to the car and feel that area with him. There are not many lines on the coupe, so this is one area you don't want goobered up.

WALTER

Site Donor
Reaction score
frankenclassic-3.jpg
949_ca959da597_low_res.jpg

Here are two good examples of how distinct that line is in the right light.

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
Honestly this is one that you may want to make a visit on for a couple of reasons: You may not have had a distinct character line there before (from the previous paint job), so for them, there is nothing out of the ordinary or that they feel they have done to remove this line in the first place. Also, with black and other dark colors it is more difficult to see the line so I imagine it makes it harder for the body guys to get correct if the paint is not totally removed.

I would maybe save some pictures from the internet that clearly shows this line on the coupe and take it to your shop to show the body guy and then walk over to the car and feel that area with him. There are not many lines on the coupe, so this is one area you don't want goobered up.

I totally agree..
This line was the first matter I took up with my painter when he got the car, and I think I repeated it at least 10 times in all the conversations we had.. Still.. He didn't get anywhere close the first time, big dissapointment.
So I had him redo it (yes on my own expense), he got it better the second time around, but still nowhere near my own standard or expectations.
I told myself that I could live with it, but it bothers me everytime I look at the car, and probably will until I get it fixed in the future.

Scott, if you have the chance, please go there and instruct them closely on this subtle line, it makes any coupe look so much better if it is straight and crisp.

WALTER

Site Donor
Reaction score
I told myself that I could live with it, but it bothers me everytime I look at the car, and probably will until I get it fixed in the future.

I had the same experience. When I bought my first coupe, it had the line, but the car had a lot of rust. When I had the rust repair done and the car painted that line was largely 'erased' by the body shop. I was such a newbie that I didn't really notice (happy with shiny paint) until someone pointed it out much later. I eventually sold that coupe. Now, this character line is the second thing I look for on coupes; the first being visible signs of rust.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score

Hah! XK CAN look good w/o bumpers too! If done right:

677e2ce31506613e76b20555ec5450d0.jpg

vince

Site Donor
Reaction score
When I was first started inquiring about my coupe, actually from afar, it was in AZ and and I was in Portland, OR. The previous owner told me that the car had perfect body lines. I was such a noob, I had know idea what he was talking about. I was more worried about rust (the only rust was from the AC condenser dripping on the side of the tunnel) than anything so I kind dismissed the body line comment. All these years later, I have had several people comment on how crisp the style lines are on my coupe. I guess I lucked out.

2002's have them too. They also have subtle strength style lines on each side of their roofs. I just bought a '73 sunroof 02 and those were the first areas I looked at.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
well Scott, i have been rattling around all of the thoughts about repainting and color change ... my car was all primed and waiting in line to repaint. it was just going to be a series of spots around the car + my painter decided he was going to paint the hole car for the same labor + i just pay for the extra material. ... but wait, i could change color ... and while we are at it, we can fill the antenna hole in the front fender and the two side market holes. but what color? baikal (my coupe's original color), ceylon, inka, turkis or riviera ... hmmm ... sound familiar?

well, the engine is coming out starting next week ... and the decision has been made ... CEYLON it is. there are already a couple of very nice baikal coupes here in ATL

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
well Scott, i have been rattling around all of the thoughts about repainting and color change ... my car was all primed and waiting in line to repaint. it was just going to be a series of spots around the car + my painter decided he was going to paint the hole car for the same labor + i just pay for the extra material. ... but wait, i could change color ... and while we are at it, we can fill the antenna hole in the front fender and the two side market holes. but what color? baikal (my coupe's original color), ceylon, inka, turkis or riviera ... hmmm ... sound familiar?

well, the engine is coming out starting next week ... and the decision has been made ... CEYLON it is. there are already a couple of very nice baikal coupes here in ATL
Hilarious. I love it. To this very moment I still have thoughts about changing the color of the tile last second. That’s where this all started I believe. I think you made a great decision. I can’t wait to see it. When do you start your thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.