The end is near....SCOTTeVEST's Baby

Status
Not open for further replies.

WALTER

Site Donor
Reaction score
Big update today.

See the video here, and my apologies it is is 18 min long.

Big take-aways:
  • end of april at earliest to be done, but could not get a commitment from Benny
Scott, I think with all the additional work you want done, the end of April is not at all realistic and your body shop’s unwillingness to make that commitment seconds that. Moreover, you don’t want the body shop to feel that they are constrained by a deadline because they will cut corners to get your car out of the shop. It’s a fine line between letting the shop do it’s thing which can feel like they are taking their sweet time and keeping them on a deadline so they are delivering when you want them to. My experience is that whatever time they say it will take, triple it. Keep yourself busy and satisfied by getting the new parts and getting the old parts redone, but let the body guys work their magic in mostly their own timeframe. It’s long, unglamorous, dirty work that isn’t fun or immediately rewarding; that’s the reason they don’t show much sanding done on the Velocity Channel shows. I’d get yourself in the mindset that the paint won’t be done until late summer; if you get it back sooner great, if not, it’s nothing you didn’t expect.

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
More random questions:

• Should I use the BMW stickers in center of wheels, https://www.ebay.com/itm/302620215827, or the BBS center hub caps? Personally, I prefer the BMW, but think perhaps the BBS may be more authentic and cool. Thoughts?
  • I forgot to mention in summary above that Gary is going to figure out a clever way to allow me to put the bumper on and off easily within an hour or so of work, that I can do myself. This way I can have my cake and eat it too. Any thoughts on this? I MUCH prefer the no front bumper look, but would want to put the jewelry on sometimes.
Remember, you all get to take MY BABY out for a weekend for helping me crowdsource my mini-restoration.

@WALTER, appreciate your warning, really and truly. However, I firmly believe it will be on the road well before late summer. They need the space for other vehicles. I think it will be done mid-May, perhaps sooner. That would be fine. Beginning of June, I will get antsy.

I don't think there is that much left that would necessitate 5 months more work. BUT I am new to this, so I may be wrong.

People said the same thing about my house getting done in less than 1 year. I was told it was impossible. But, 11 months later, it was done.

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
You have a US 74 coupe, that’s all.

[email protected], thought you have already contacted him.
I don't have him in my emails, so apparently not but i can't keep track of all the people that have touched this car. it has been an adventure. i should write a story about it. i have thought of doing a BAT like summary of my car with tons of details and then let the group and others pick it apart trying to establish value and telling me what to do next. good idea? off to email carl now. thanks.

PS: Just realized that I called, not emailed him. He sold me the springs. Thanks.

Last edited:

Dohn

Reaction score
Scott, On the center cap question, I've used the BMW center cap on my RSs, which ties nicely with the roundels on the car. Here's a black coupe with that setup (not my car).
26166373_312564475917321_6820735217672975830_n.jpg

For a change of pace, Powderwheels KG sells a Motorsport center cap from the 70s which is also quite cool. Here's the cap on a different wheel.
26000932_311650702675365_1657201790747435487_n.jpg

A question on the removable bumper: Does Idaho not require a front plate? If so, you'll need two bracket solutions.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
WA state requires a front plate unless you get collector plates

My car and my wife's daily driver has no front plate . Never got a ticket . Would rather have a ticket than a stupid front plate

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Scott, On the center cap question, I've used the BMW center cap on my RSs, which ties nicely with the roundels on the car. Here's a black coupe with that setup (not my car).
View attachment 43118
For a change of pace, Powderwheels KG sells a Motorsport center cap from the 70s which is also quite cool. Here's the cap on a different wheel.
View attachment 43119

A question on the removable bumper: Does Idaho not require a front plate? If so, you'll need two bracket solutions.

Idaho technically requires a front plate, but i never had one on my 911 or Coupe. Give me the ticket instead. The price of vanity. I like the normal BMW sticker best I think. Non-affeciando's will not know that bbs is a good thing, and will assume otherwise, whereas bmw stickers look right. I do like the motorsport center but not sure. i think i need to photoshop it on a vehicle. Whose car is the black one. Mine will be very similar, depending on if i use bumper or not....

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
Scott, that's due the steering box we have....with a to great gearing in it. Also the reason many people go high cost to change to rack&pinion.
Problem is that we have steering arms behind the wheels , we just presented a RHD rack&pinion ( upside down) but in that place the angle with the steering column is way to big....
Those circuit racers can do it because the firewall is welded 8 (? )inches more inside ... pilot is almost seated as in a rear seat :)

i once read here that CSL had a better box gearing ???

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
regarding the clock not working; I believe that there is also one common cause for that; usually it is a soldering point that breaks. opening up the clock from behind is delicate work but doable. Then a dab of solder is the easy bit. Worth trying it now, as it's just half an hours work now that your dash is (completely/partly?) out.
Attached the instruction made by another e9 addict. With it, I managed to do all, in a running car in a evening. Your guys will be faster for sure. beats 400 dollars if it works; It worked for me.

Attachments

• CS_Speedometer_Clock_Removal.pdf
    774.4 KB · Views: 171
Last edited:

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Liked the update.

Wheels look great, I prefer the roundels to BBS center caps. Don't forget to buy the plastic hub wrench if you haven't already. Pretty sure I posted a link to to it previously.

Glad all the parts are there and Benny & crew can re-establish the lower body line. Yes the project scope has increased yet in the end your CS will be much better. It will feel like a BMW instead of a floaty Cadillac or Buick.

Dohn

Reaction score
Idaho technically requires a front plate, but i never had one on my 911 or Coupe. Give me the ticket instead. The price of vanity. I like the normal BMW sticker best I think. Non-affeciando's will not know that bbs is a good thing, and will assume otherwise, whereas bmw stickers look right. I do like the motorsport center but not sure. i think i need to photoshop it on a vehicle. Whose car is the black one. Mine will be very similar, depending on if i use bumper or not....

Scott, Like you, I haven't used a front plate for years, even though Ohio requires them. My coupe came with a fold-down license holder, so I just keep the plate folded under (made possible by my diving board bumpers). If I get stopped I'll just use the "That darn plate just keeps sliding down, officer" defense. Then I'll pay the ticket. On the center caps, if you scroll through the Powderwheels KG site you may find a good shot of those Motorsport caps on a car, as they have a lot of installed shots on there. That's where I found the black coupe shot. Here's a shot of my coupe at O'fest in New Orleans, sporting the BMW center caps (and folded license plate).

Coupe at Ofest2.jpg

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Scott, Like you, I haven't used a front plate for years, even though Ohio requires them. My coupe came with a fold-down license holder, so I just keep the plate folded under (made possible by my diving board bumpers). If I get stopped I'll just use the "That darn plate just keeps sliding down, officer" defense. Then I'll pay the ticket. On the center caps, if you scroll through the Powderwheels KG site you may find a good shot of those Motorsport caps on a car, as they have a lot of installed shots on there. That's where I found the black coupe shot. Here's a shot of my coupe at O'fest in New Orleans, sporting the BMW center caps (and folded license plate).

View attachment 43139
gorgeous car, and my twin after my restore, other than the big bumpers. Where in Ohio are you located? I am from Cincinnati, when to OSU and Case.

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Liked the update.

Wheels look great, I prefer the roundels to BBS center caps. Don't forget to buy the plastic hub wrench if you haven't already. Pretty sure I posted a link to to it previously.

Glad all the parts are there and Benny & crew can re-establish the lower body line. Yes the project scope has increased yet in the end your CS will be much better. It will feel like a BMW instead of a floaty Cadillac or Buick.
yep, ordered the wrench and agree re roundels. Ideally, I'd like to get black and white roundels, although not sure.

Dohn

Reaction score
gorgeous car, and my twin after my restore, other than the big bumpers. Where in Ohio are you located? I am from Cincinnati, when to OSU and Case.

Scott, I'm in Dayton, or actually Centerville, just south of Dayton. My wife grew up in the Wyoming suburb of Cincinnati. Went to Kent State. Guess we Buckeyes share similar taste in cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.