The Raven e9 project

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I think these are NLA, the ones I bought from an eBay seller claiming NOS turned out to be flat, not conical like original. Yellow cad I believe. I ended up reusing my original ones, the yellow long gone and now silver, I polished and clear coated them and they look pretty nice afterall.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I think these are NLA
I believe you are correct. WN sells reproductions, I think. But I will be re-using my originals, which are conical. I still have to fuss with them a bit before plating them. I think they found a curb stop at some point over the past 48 years... :oops:

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Yes I had to use a crow bar and blow torch to bend the tow loops back into position in order to get the washers off. They take a beating.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Yes I had to use a crow bar and blow torch to bend the tow loops back into position in order to get the washers off. They take a beating.
I can tell you what happens when you don't use heat to bend them back. :( I'm currently looking for 1 cm rod to make a replacement...

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Struts are black oxide, tension strut is indeed yellow
Shoot, that was what I was worried about. I am/was currently set up only to do yellow and clear chromate coatings. But I just ordered the black oxide ingredients.

Here's another one. Wave washers - are they re-usable or has too much of the wave been pressed out of them?

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Shoot, that was what I was worried about. I am/was currently set up only to do yellow and clear chromate coatings. But I just ordered the black oxide ingredients.

Here's another one. Wave washers - are they re-usable or has too much of the wave been pressed out of them?

Don’t forget the safety wife (edit: wire) for the strut bolts.

Last edited:

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
These were mine in 2015 when the Lokari fender liners were installed. Crust yellowish & conical with castellated nut. Note lower strut bolt safety wire.

DSCN0276.JPG
DSCN0277.JPG
DSCN0279.JPG

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I am so pleased to learn that I am far from alone in having broken tow hooks. But not for long.
Where does one find the safety wire? Is that a thing? Part number? Just something you pick up at NAPA? ;)
Also, anyone have (or know where I can source) the allen head bolt and nut for the sway bar bushing attachment. I have one, but missing the other. It is a KAMAX, I think. I'll post a pic of it later.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
It's just a cotter pin, I bought stainless ones from Ace Hardware

I am so pleased to learn that I am far from alone in having broken tow hooks. But not for long.
Where does one find the safety wire? Is that a thing? Part number? Just something you pick up at NAPA? ;)
Also, anyone have (or know where I can source) the allen head bolt and nut for the sway bar bushing attachment. I have one, but missing the other. It is a KAMAX, I think. I'll post a pic of it later.

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score

Safety wire & pull twist pliers are at NAPA.

The Allen Head or Hex Head nuts & bolts, I bought at my local Ace Hardware.

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Stephen,

How much safety wire do you want. I have a full spool of aircraft wire that fits those holes and only used about 18"!! Send me a PM with your address again, and the amount. I'll get it in an envelope, which may arrive within 6 months (see 'off-topic, USPS Issues).

Gary

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Pretty sure I bought those at Ace Hardware. Had to drop the front subframe about 3/4 to 1 inch to install the larger sway bar. I bought both Metric & SAE "Allen Head" 3/8 drive sockets for installing the front bar.

IMG_3261.JPG
IMG_3262.JPG

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
That is interesting. Rather, since the one that was still on my car was a KAMAX bolt, I assume(d) it is original. You won't find those at Ace Hardware - ha ha. But beyond that, I don't think there is anything unique about it. For me now, it is just a matching issue. I want to use the KAMAX on one side, and I will plate it and yellow chromate it. But the other side should match (even though no one will see it and it really doesn't matter). I mean, I still have to sleep at night. :D
Pretty sure I bought those at Ace Hardware. Had to drop the front subframe about 3/4 to 1 inch to install the larger sway bar. I bought both Metric & SAE "Allen Head" 3/8 drive sockets for installing the front bar.