The Raven e9 project

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I spent some time dressing the tips on the spot welder. These are listed as consumables on a device like this, and I wonder if I need to get a new pair. But I did get the current tips shaved down (like a big copper pencil) and then flattened the tips parallel and to a dimension of 5/32" per the specs (4mm). Then I did a series of test welds on some cleaned up 22 gauge material.

The tips are sticking to the material every time, and I am getting weld splash. In two instnaces it burned right through and bonded the tips of the welder together. I believe this is all because I am concentrating too much heat/current. I don't know if it will get better with thicker material (the car will be minimum 20 gauge material). Or if I need to dial this machine's output down in some manner. If anyone has experience with these types of resistance welders, I'd love to learn from your experience.
20210221-test patch.jpg

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor
Reaction score
I've used one of those back in the 13th century when I lived in Milwaukee. It was mounted in a floor stand and you used your foot to operate it, freeing up both hands to hold the work.

I would contact the manufacturer and see if they can help; perhaps they offered a more upscale version of that unit with some form of variable resistance alternative. Forms from that era might be a switch with high/low positions or a dial type rheostat.

m_thompson

Reaction score
I bought a new one from Grainger in 1982 to reassemble my CS. The existing tips would not fit into many places that I needed to weld. I bought some extra tips and ground them with an offset center so I could make spot welds on the tops of the fenders, and in other tight places.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I bought a new one from Grainger in 1982 to reassemble my CS. The existing tips would not fit into many places that I needed to weld. I bought some extra tips and ground them with an offset center so I could make spot welds on the tops of the fenders, and in other tight places.
The same 2.5KVA power rating?

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Yep. Have been to that thread and learned a bit about my machine from it. I am still concerned that the Model 33 unit I have has too much horsepower for the sheet metal. I found a chart that describes the proper time duration for the panels. It comes out to 8 cycles per weld. I don't think the 63 year old vacuum tube timer and pretty worn relay contacts that I tried to burnish, but..., has enough precision to repeat the 130 millisecond on time reliably. We'll see.

Worst case, I sell the unit I just refurbished and source a more tame version. But I have some new tips coming, and I'll try it out with some more correct sheet metal first.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Walloth Nesch
I know some have stated that they've had trouble with W&N orders - either problems with delivery time or problems with the cost. I just wanted to report that I have not experienced that personally. I ordered some more sheet metal six days ago and it just arrived today. I'd used a 20 EUR discount coupon, so if you apply that to the shipping, I feel these parts made it from Germany to my door step delightfully swiftly. Thumbs up!

nosmonkey

In Rust We Trust
Site Donor
Reaction score
Might be worth trying some shorter copper arms. With my 50cm arms on my spot welder there is a noticeable drop in quality in welds and its easier to punch through. On the thinner stuff I've noticed it really doesn't have to stay on for long to get a solid spot weld