The Raven e9 project

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Have had only one shipping insurance claim when the new stator for my generator was dropped. The shippers insurance paid out $2K. The shipper didn't drop the 2nd one.

Glad they are doing right by you.

paul

Site Donor
Reaction score
Stephen.......so bad news turns into good news.......and rightly so.....you pay good money (and top money too) and expect the goods to be delivered in prime condition. I know how disappointed you must have felt...............but glad it turned out ok. ;)

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Quick update regarding the fuel tank. I wrote BMW of South Atlanta yesterday to ask if they had a status update, and they replied today. Turns out the replacement tank had arrived on Wednesday but upon inspecting it they found it had a few dents from shipping. So they ordered another (number three). I really appreciate their current efforts to deliver a "new" tank in the same condition.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
"Ran when parked"

This phrase (and title to one of my favorite books) has so much truth and irony to it. My daily driver ran when parked. And I expect it to run tomorrow when I start it up again. But when you take a 47 year old car, drive it into a garage that is 2-hours away, and then begin to take the car apart, things change. I'd since pulled the gas tank, changed the distributor to a 123, and futzed with the triple Weber carbs without really "running" the car. And over the course of about a year and a half, it seemed the car wouldn't run anymore. UNTIL THIS WEEKEND! I'd been prepping the car for transport to the new nest, and this led to a strong desire to drive the car onto the trailer. It should be noted that there is no driving it the 2-hours - the windscreens are out, as are all functioning exterior lighting. But just to drive it into and out of a trailer is HUGE. So I crafted a logical list of steps - a checklist if you will. And yesterday saw the conclusion of that list with a start and very cursory timing effort. The car runs far better than it did when I parked it! I attribute this to the 123 ignition, and cleaned up/properly gapped plugs. The running at all is largely attributed to cleaning the aging ethanol infused gas from the system and replacing with fresh, 100% gasoline. It is not "great" yet, as the carbs need some (a lot of) time and the advance curves could surely be improved. But It will indeed motivate itself onto transport - and breath fire while doing so. I am still running with open headers so it sounds ferocious (in a good way) It was a very good day!

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Does this mean that the (third) new tank arrived and has been installed?
The third tank arrived, looks really good save for a nickel sized ding that I can easily pop back out. But I decided it was too nice to put back into the car in its current state. So I reinstalled the old tank so I can save the new one for the "restored" car. The old tank just needs to hold a couple of gallons of gas for a few weeks while I strategize "trailer day". Then I'll drain the gas right away and perhaps make a yard art animal or bug out of the old tank. I also have a NOS fuel sender that I am "saving", too. The old one works, although the filter screen on the bottom was pretty grungy. I cleaned it up as best I could in a short time and it seems to be working for this adventure.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
@autokunst,

Let me know if any of your tanks are missing a bracket. I’ll stick on or two in your box, as a patience fee. :D

Kudos to stephen for being exceptionally patient while I waited to ship his rear fenders! I finished parting the CSI 15 months ago. Fortunately we had his car offsite, and a major garage project to keep him busy!

For record keeping, I have the fenders being “boxed” up by way of a 1x2 frame with cardboard stapled to it. I also have a bumper center section with fog holes. Sadly it is locked in my truck with five alpinas and a M535i motorsport wheel. Luckily I have speaker holes large enough to crawl through so I am hoping to pop it with ease.

Rear fenders are close to 7’ long but only weigh 20lbs. Shipping via domestic freight is relatively cheap. Box “building” consisted of extracting the 1x2 from my shed. I said I don’t keep wood but I knew I had kept that specifically for making boxes. :)

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I can't wait to see this 7' long frame box! Glad you saved those 1x2s. ;)

Regarding "tank brackets", I assume we're talking about the coolant overflow tank? I haven't spent any time with the one brass tank I have yet, but it appears to have (2) brackets attached to it. (the one in the car is the newer plastic one that I'll be replacing with the brass piece at some point.
20200518-brass coolant tank bottom.jpg20200518-brass coolant tank top.jpg

@autokunst,

Let me know if any of your tanks are missing a bracket. I’ll stick on or two in your box, as a patience fee. :D

Kudos to stephen for being exceptionally patient while I waited to ship his rear fenders! I finished parting the CSI 15 months ago. Fortunately we had his car offsite, and a major garage project to keep him busy!

For record keeping, I have the fenders being “boxed” up by way of a 1x2 frame with cardboard stapled to it. I also have a bumper center section with fog holes. Sadly it is locked in my truck with five alpinas and a M535i motorsport wheel. Luckily I have speaker holes large enough to crawl through so I am hoping to pop it with ease.

Rear fenders are close to 7’ long but only weigh 20lbs. Shipping via domestic freight is relatively cheap. Box “building” consisted of extracting the 1x2 from my shed. I said I don’t keep wood but I knew I had kept that specifically for making boxes. :)

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I can't wait to see this 7' long frame box! Glad you saved those 1x2s. ;)

Regarding "tank brackets", I assume we're talking about the coolant overflow tank? I haven't spent any time with the one brass tank I have yet, but it appears to have (2) brackets attached to it. (the one in the car is the newer plastic one that I'll be replacing with the brass piece at some point.
View attachment 93382View attachment 93383

The one on the bottom is the guy that likes to fall off. When most people remove the tank they leave it attached to the car. @mark99 drew up the plans for me and we used a waterjet company in Colorado to make about 20. I have about four left.
I’ll probably make another batch just to throw some work out there. I think they came
out to like $6 a piece, and I sell them for $25 shipped, or give them to folks to return favors.

Typically a big part of fab cost is the design. Waterjet is cool because 2D drawing is within the realm of skill sets that an architect like yourself or the many e9 owners could easily handle. I think it probably took Mark 15 minutes to boot up his machine, get coffee, and draw this bracket. :D
BD7F647E-13FD-47D2-8B23-9389142A019E.jpeg

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Solid progress today. I ran the car up to operating temperature, and finally aligned the physical/mechanical timing with the 123 ignition system curves. This was done in no small part with the patient help of @Stevehose .
After that, I pulled the car off its wheel plates for the first time in way too long and made sure it rolls and stops. Yes, brakes work, clutch and trans still work. The car is ready to drive onto a trailer and bring home. If all the stars align, the car will be home in the nest (garage) next Friday.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
When the moon is in the Seventh House
And Jupiter aligns with Mars
Then peace will guide the planets
And love will steer the stars

From that '60's trippin play "Hair" The stars will align.

Steve

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Excellent news Stephen!

But remember... pics or it didn’t happen.
;)
Didn't take a lot of photos yesterday. But I did capture this thermal image of the exhaust header at the end of the run up. The reason I was looking here was to verify that all of the cylinders were firing evenly - which it appears they are. I do question whether the 626 degree temp is appropriate. The top of the head on the intake side was in the 210 - 212 degree range (but I failed to capture the photo).
img_thermal_1590432039918.jpg

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
That is super interesting!
I've been meaning to get an infrared sensor for thermal imaging to detect leaks in our house. But I know nothing about them. Which model/brand do you use?

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I am using the Seek Thermal camera at the recommendation of @Luis A. I believe he has the Compact model. I had the office purchase the Compact Pro model to use in our work. I think the only difference is a slight increase in image/data resolution and range (distance). It works quite nicely - just plugs into your phone and can take still photos, movies, or simply provide information on the screen. I think $250 gets you into the Compact model, and you can use it for so many tasks and projects - house to car.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
It was a very good day today. At least that is what Amy tells me. I was a ball of stress and my own perception is not as smooth and easy as she reminds me today went. But at the end of the day, we successfully transprorted the Raven from "the cabin" to her new nest in Milwaukee. Here's a video as we backed the car out of the garage in the woods:

All loaded up on the trailer. The bed of the truck is full of parts and some tools:
20200529-loaded on trailer.jpg

And here we are back in Milwaukee, rolling the car off the trailer. As the load on the trailer shifted, it startled Amy - you can hear her on the video. ;)

Well, I don't have any more excuses. I better get to work! And there is a lot of it...

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Best case scenario. You deserve a Cold Nitro Coffee & French Toast!
That sounds delicious, and I agree. Oh, I almost forgot. Rather than taking the interstate the whole way, we followed a slightly more scenic route. We were really looking forward to seeing @adawil2002 in June when he was here for the Kissel Meet. But as that is canceled, we took the opportunity to drive the Raven by the Wisconsin Auto Museum on this journey.

20200529-kissel museum.jpg