What did you do to your E9 today?

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
some real fun today...... :rolleyes: .... but i was lucky... one with loose grey wheel , the other bad white plastic wheel ... so mixed to a good one.

SAM_3632.JPG

Patton

Site Donor $
Reaction score
C9812C4A-8958-4BF0-9578-1A0C9CB3554B.jpeg

Installed panoramic mirror over the existing mirror so that I can see things in back of me.

Just waiting to get the mega squirt unit tuned and maybe this car will be on the street.

Patton

Site Donor $
Reaction score
2F97DE2C-0AA1-4EDF-BB63-8A2751D2B482.jpeg

Note the square plate that is welded in the back corner area of the front tire / pinch weld area. (The yellow plate underneath the yellow lift arm.)

It makes it easy to find lift point.

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
View attachment 129530
Note the square plate that is welded in the back corner area of the front tire / pinch weld area. (The yellow plate underneath the yellow lift arm.)

It makes it easy to find lift point.

In general this point is considered to be too weak to be used as a lift point if the car has it's engine and axles on. The little square box is just sandwiched to the single 0.8mm sheet that makes the floor. Yes, the edge of the little box aligns with the flange on the inner sill, but that just puts bending load on the front sill end.

There is an thread on "best lift points", and it generally advises to lift the car in the front by the frame rails.

The square boxes were used by Karmann to haul the empty shell through the factory on the line, sans engine.

Last edited:

tygaboy

Reaction score
Today was Christmas in October! The "tasteful upgrade" goodies have started arriving! I don't like to name drop but: "Coupe King" wheels and "Carl Nelson" springs. I suppose I should start a separate thread for the coming restoration/updates I'm undertaking.
UDPV1953.JPG

IMG_4356.JPG

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
View attachment 129528
Installed panoramic mirror over the existing mirror so that I can see things in back of me.

Just waiting to get the mega squirt unit tuned and maybe this car will be on the street.
my apologies if you discussed it elsewhere (if so please share the link) but tell us about the materials used on the dash board.
I‘m as much as purist as the next guy. But I love the look. Great job.

Patton

Site Donor $
Reaction score
my apologies if you discussed it elsewhere (if so please share the link) but tell us about the materials used on the dash board.
I‘m as much as purist as the next guy. But I love the look. Great job.
J, I am out of town right now. When I return on Monday I’ll look up the data for the engine turned metal plate.

It was super easy to bend into place. Also, it wasn’t too expensive.

The horizontal dashboard was simply plywood covered with black leather.

The dash was simply that same leather turned over to use the suede side.

Thank you for the kind comments. Made my day.

RP

tygaboy

Reaction score
Maybe a bit OT but figured some might be interested. I started working on an E9 silhouette file that I can cut on my plasma table. I did the same for awards I made for our 2020 914 West Coast Rally. Neat thing is I can easily scale these to make them almost any size I'd like. I'm thinking maybe a nice framed wall hanging in my office.

Attachments

• E9 CAD file.JPG
    E9 CAD file.JPG
    103.8 KB · Views: 123
  • AQKR4781.JPG
    AQKR4781.JPG
    377.2 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_2695.JPG
    IMG_2695.JPG
    293.2 KB · Views: 133

vince

Site Donor
Reaction score
Maybe a bit OT but figured some might be interested. I started working on an E9 silhouette file that I can cut on my plasma table. I did the same for awards I made for our 2020 914 West Coast Rally. Neat thing is I can easily scale these to make them almost any size I'd like. I'm thinking maybe a nice framed wall hanging in my office.

Very cool!

BarneyT

Site Donor
Reaction score
Started the Refresh of our 71 2800CS yesterday, very excited to get this started scheduled for body shop first of January…

Attachments

• DF589104-16AC-4322-8A34-AAE6CB6AC5B9.jpeg
    DF589104-16AC-4322-8A34-AAE6CB6AC5B9.jpeg
    409.5 KB · Views: 117
  • 33DA6235-9ED3-4D8E-9F06-A80FD25F0BD7.jpeg
    33DA6235-9ED3-4D8E-9F06-A80FD25F0BD7.jpeg
    344 KB · Views: 109
  • 5FF67D54-BB81-4880-A73E-D3A9BEF692AE.jpeg
    5FF67D54-BB81-4880-A73E-D3A9BEF692AE.jpeg
    363.1 KB · Views: 103

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
Spent the day, on my back, on the left side floor, looking up at the mess of wires under the dash. My goal was to find wires I could eliminate. Found many that had at one time been part of the speaker/radio/amplifier set up. Eliminated metres of the stuff. Re-routed remaining wires to achieve a more organized path. Cleared a lot of space. And then I found it! Couple of years ago, I was cleaning up some of the ground wire connections and was really pleased with myself, until I discovered that the electric sunroof would no longer function. So, today I found the one wire that had been dislodged and I returned it to its rightful terminal, behind fuse #10. And all was right again. Must admit, getting a little old for this under-the-dash stuff, but with the heater out, console out, all the under dash panels out, seats out, it was now or never! ;)