What did you do to your E9 today?

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Confirmed that my car has a short. Went to move it home this afternoon and the battery is completely drained. I blame the wonky "stereo" system.

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
Got a loose wire where all the electricity drains out?

Confirmed that my car has a short. Went to move it home this afternoon and the battery is completely drained. I blame the wonky "stereo" system.

I've had this happen once or twice when the emergency flasher switch popped out. I've got a new one, but I won't put it in quite yet as I'm about to take the car apart for welding and paint.

Ian

1970 2800CS Chamonix over blue vinyl

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Mark,

start by checking your grounds - under the dash, under the hood, in the trunk. then check your light switches for doors, trunk, hood + glovebox. my old bavaria had an issue and we put a tester on the car - then kept testing circuits with no luck ... we were about to give up and i leaned on the trunk lid and we found it ... the trunk switch wasn't hitting correctly and the trunk light would stay on and run the battery down.

OCCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
Not sure it's a good idea to work on the car in flip flops though. Even a dropped screwdriver can be very painful!

You are absolutely correct! I have been guilty many times for wearing flip flops; but have been trying to stick to close toed shoes. This was an exception since I just ran in to install the upper firewall insulation.

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
Feeling Shifty

I got a rebuilt Getrag 265/6 and a bell housing for it delivered today. Sooo clean. Sourced from eBay.
I'll need to find the bits to install it. Shifter assembly, drive shaft, etc. No hurry as I have rust repair to do first.

My garage is now wired for the lift. New LED lights to increase the brightness.

Ian

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I got a rebuilt Getrag 265/6 and a bell housing for it delivered today. Sooo clean. Sourced from eBay.
I'll need to find the bits to install it. Shifter assembly, drive shaft, etc. No hurry as I have rust repair to do first.

My garage is now wired for the lift. New LED lights to increase the brightness.

Ian

When VSR did mine they sent the drive shaft out to be shortened instead of sourcing another one.

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
Feeling Shifty II

When VSR did mine they sent the drive shaft out to be shortened instead of sourcing another one.

Yes, all options are on the table. I don't know if there is a good driveline shop here, I haven't gotten that far. I'm pleased to have found a rebuilt 265/6 for a good price. If there isn't one here, I'm sure there is one in Dallas or Houston.

One unknown for me is just what shift mechanism I should be looking for. I've read the 528i one works, but I don't know if that's the only one. Nice to have choices. It looks like just about all the bits to build one are available new from BMW, but the price adds up quickly. I'd prefer to get a used one and renew the worn bits if necessary. Further research is required.

Ian

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
search for "getrag" , "speed conversion" , "driveshaft" etc. Lots of info and threads. In short, the e12 stuff works great.

Yes, all options are on the table. I don't know if there is a good driveline shop here, I haven't gotten that far. I'm pleased to have found a rebuilt 265/6 for a good price. If there isn't one here, I'm sure there is one in Dallas or Houston.

One unknown for me is just what shift mechanism I should be looking for. I've read the 528i one works, but I don't know if that's the only one. Nice to have choices. It looks like just about all the bits to build one are available new from BMW, but the price adds up quickly. I'd prefer to get a used one and renew the worn bits if necessary. Further research is required.

Ian

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
FINALLY, I removed both of the front strut 'spacer' blocks and lowered the front back to the correct European height, as it should be. The car is no longer going 'uphill', so I'm sure the fuel mileage will be enhanced.

Hopefully before spring I'll get the Carl Nelson lowering springs and new Koni shocks front and rear installed. Just got tired of looking at the 'inclined plane' of the vehicle!

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hopefully before spring I'll get new Koni shocks front and rear installed

For what it's worth I had installed a set of Konis on my 72 and absolutely hated them. Way too harsh of a ride.

The following weekend I took them out and replaced them with bilsteins which were simply perfect.

It certainly could be that something was wrong with one of the Konis. But all four of them?

YMMV of course.

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
My experience with Konis/Bilsteins has been different!

I've found Bilsteins harsher than the Konis. I've usually set the Konis for 1/4 to 1/3 of the way from soft to firm, and liked both the ride and handling - on my '73 CS back in the late '70's, and on my Porsche 928's for street. I had externally adjustable Konis for the 928 track car with springs stiffer than stock. I had those set full soft for driving to and from and full firm while on the track.

As the TV advertisements used to say: "Your Mileage May Vary" (YMMV).

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Drove :)

Austin weather is "coupe perfect" this time of year so I left the Shelby at work and drove the blue coupe home and around a bit. Great enjoyment but have to do lots of little adjustments. As soon as I get the carbs done on the Polaris and put in the most forward valve cover bolt she'll be ready for an A/C charge, a stereo test and she's done! Well, never really done, but really close, crap, I have to do the rear sunroof seal and clean the headliner and then check all the electrics, bleed the brakes again, adjust the passenger door and detail the beast. Done, what was I thinking:confused:

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Spent the day at VSR. David Rose, who shoots videos for Hitting Redline, BMW CCA and BMW NA, was there shooting video and taking pictures of Athena in the process. She and I will be featured in a Real Drivers video for Hitting Redline later this year.

Here is the Hitting Redline YouTube page: https://www.youtube.com/user/HittingRedline/videos

This is the show where I met David in 2012, Athena won second in class.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNutuc9wkL8

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
My experience with Konis/Bilsteins has been different!

I've found Bilsteins harsher than the Konis. I've usually set the Konis for 1/4 to 1/3 of the way from soft to firm, and liked both the ride and handling - on my '73 CS back in the late '70's, and on my Porsche 928's for street. I had externally adjustable Konis for the 928 track car with springs stiffer than stock. I had those set full soft for driving to and from and full firm while on the track.

As the TV advertisements used to say: "Your Mileage May Vary" (YMMV).

I'm glad to hear that. I must have received a set that was valved super hard. Weird because I remember adjusting them up and down and it did not help

But I'm glad they worked out for you.

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Agreed. Did the CN springs over the summer and I couldn't be happier.

2D8844DC-096D-4B2C-9859-90A5550D17E0_zpspndq2tvc.jpg
[/URL]

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/MyF...B-4DCD-882C-6BD6E72FD486_zpsrhjclajn.jpg.html

Advise rolling the front inner fender lips, if you haven't, so you don't shred the tire side walls or damage the fender. Shredding the side wall like spaghetti at speed is not a fun experience.

MyFemurHurts

Reaction score
I do need to roll the lips. I've driven the car maybe 500 miles since I did that, and it's rubbed a few times on really harsh bumps when I was cornering hard.

Been too busy. I haven't even driven the car since November. Sheesh.

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I do need to roll the lips. I've driven the car maybe 500 miles since I did that, and it's rubbed a few times on really harsh bumps when I was cornering hard.

Been too busy. I haven't even driven the car since November. Sheesh.

It's a winter project. You still have a couple of months of that cold harsh CA winter. 8)