paid the balance on the paint and body all
ready to go jus6t have to put togeter
all parts are bought and paid for
yea.

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Getting down to the nitty gritty.

Cleaning up floors and got all the tar off the passenger side floor only to find
a road sign used to repair a big hole.
Must have been a "emergency" repair on the road. :roll:

Attachments

• IMG_7065.jpg
    IMG_7065.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 217

Philippe db

Reaction score

Cleaning up floors and got all the tar off the passenger side floor only to find

Unbelievable!!:rolleyes:

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score

I have a feeling your garage will have a used road sign hanging in it soon...... show us a pic when it's out..

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score

Gary,

i suspect another W+N order is in process ... that had to be a very weird discovery as it was being uncovered. a true WTF moment.

s

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
what did...

Drove it!
After what turned out to be a few months of down time. I had the pleasure of a day off, sunny weather, all gremlins, leaks, stumbles, suspicious noises, all behind me. What a great drive it was! Special thanks to Stevehose who advised on the origins of the worn bearing-like noise, (via iPhone audio) that did turn out to be the water pump Steve! Thanks. Mike

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score

So today I get the drivers side cleaned up and found the other half of the road sign.
At least it's German. I think it says "Audi" .

Actually it's "municipal auditorium" :lol:

Hopefully get them out tomorrow. Maybe there's a hidden treasure map?
I sure need some treasure to complete this rebuild.

Attachments

• IMG_7070.jpg
    IMG_7070.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 199
  • IMG_7071.jpg
    IMG_7071.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 180

maxxfish

Site Donor
Reaction score
Worked on the coupe this morning for the first time in 4 months, ahh, what therapy!

I'm removing all of the brackets in the engine bay that I won't be using. I can tell you that while Karman couldn't build a car without rust, they sure could make sure that the brackets wouldn't come off! Sheesh! I'd call this overkill...

Attachments

• IMG_8431.jpg
    IMG_8431.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 209
  • IMG_8432.jpg
    IMG_8432.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 200

brea

Reaction score
Installed a badgewasher today

It took me a while to re-route some wiring to get this installed but I think works great.

They are built with a tiny sensor mounted in the wiper arm measures the light reflected back from the white sections of the BMW badge… Even if a film of dirt cuts out as little as 5% of that light, the sensor will detect it and start the wiper.

Check it out.

Attachments

• BMW CS badge wiper.jpg
    BMW CS badge wiper.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 187

Stefan

Reaction score
The spring is forwarding and I had the Polaris for a ride to see if the late winter (and only) project with fixing the issue with glowing "L-light" at RPM +4000 was successfully.
Story is that I had some fault tracing done earlier and ending up with the alternator as the bad guy.
Well, not really an emergency issue since the alternator was working OK and loading the battery during normal driving. More like an irritating mosquito behind your ear.
The turnover was when I saw Stevehose doing his alternator with nice pics and then I got the spirit to do it.
So this is for you Stevehose! ;)

This is the stock Bosch alternator with some outside suitable patina, but the inside was not that nice.....
Hard to say what was the faulty part on the alternator, but one soldering looked bad and the brushes were worn and short.
So after cleaning, visually bad soldering renewed, new bearings,new brushes, removed rust inside and clear coated bare metal part afterwards this stock alternator is fit for another 40 year of duty or what? ;)
The cost? Some man-hour of my time and since material is standard sized it was around 20 Euro.
The pleasure of keeping the car in stock condition makes every hour meaningful in some kind :)

Taking the alternator apart. Patina on the outside, but the inside...

Totally renewed stock alternator

Engine bay with my 100% working personally NOS alternator

Cheers folks!

Last edited:

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Woa! You are now the reigning alternator rebuilder! Looks amazing :)

The spring is forwarding and I had the Polaris for a ride to see if the late winter (and only) project with fixing the issue with glowing "L-light" at RPM +4000 was successfully.
Story is that I had some fault tracing done earlier and ending up with the alternator as the bad guy.
Well, not really an emergency issue since the alternator was working OK and loading the battery during normal driving. More like an irritating mosquito behind your ear.
The turnover was when I saw Stevehose doing his alternator with nice pics and then I got the spirit to do it.
So this is for you Stevehose! ;)

This is the stock Bosch alternator with some outside suitable patina, but the inside was not that nice.....
Hard to say what was the faulty part on the alternator, but one soldering looked bad and the brushes were worn and short.
So after cleaning, visually bad soldering renewed, new bearings,new brushes, removed rust inside and clear coated bare metal part afterwards this stock alternator is fit for another 40 year of duty or what? ;)
The cost? Some man-hour of my time and since material is standard sized it was around 20 Euro.
The pleasure of keeping the car in stock condition makes every hour meaningful in some kind :)

Taking the alternator apart. Patina on the outside, but the inside...

Totally renewed stock alternator

Engine bay with my 100% working personally NOS alternator

Cheers folks!

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have them also and they are a high quality product and a nice touch to the wheels. Looks great on your 14's and I am gravitating towards sourcing some despite the tire size challenge.

Put on the Coupe King Alpina style lug nuts...

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have them also and they are a high quality product and a nice touch to the wheels. Looks great on your 14's and I am gravitating towards sourcing some despite the tire size challenge.

BF Goodrich 225/60 14 not very expensive and look good with the raised white letters mounted inboard and blacked out.

Now the Tufshine and I will be ready!

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Last edited: