What did you do to your E9 today?

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm not sure if CSL had black screws from new. Maybe, since the interior was black. BMW did run out of white screws and the replacements were black. Now all are NLA from BMW, W&N has reproduction white ones.

Ian

Dan Mooney

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Original is white.
Sorted :D

6218dm12.jpg

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
garage queens.... :p

we drove a rally today ( short , 200 miles) in pooring rain .... and was a lot of fun ! we ended 16 on 64 .... we are happy.
Ok, car needs cleaning ... tomorrow. :)

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Dan,

you have such a beautiful CSL, at least we are only talking about small things ... which would help make it perfect.

I'm not sure if CSL had black screws from new. Maybe, since the interior was black. BMW did run out of white screws and the replacements were black. Now all are NLA from BMW, W&N has reproduction white ones.

Ian
what say you CSL guys - such as BMW Pete + Keshav? the rest of us just want to learn more about CSL accuracy. we know what is right for the basic CS / CSi

Dan Mooney

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
We're here for ya!
Appreciate that :D

I am truly enjoying the learning process with this wonderful car (the E9, generally) that I so admired growing up, but apparently know relatively little about! My professional life is obviously all about classic cars, but the E9 is fairly new to me. I am learning every day, and loving every minute of it o_O

Cheers!
Dan

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Dan,

you have such a beautiful CSL, at least we are only talking about small things ... which would help make it perfect.

what say you CSL guys - such as BMW Pete + Keshav? the rest of us just want to learn more about CSL accuracy. we know what is right for the basic CS / CSi

Hi Scott, I’m flattered being mentioned along with Pete, no doubt his shoe size is way larger!
Having said that, Dan did infact buy a very unmolested Csl which is truly rare to find. Roger was a very good custodian as to he didn’t get ‘carried away’ making changes/ upgrades that most of us can’t avoid, over a period of the ownership (ask me....). Way difficult to leave a car in its original unmolested garb, seems to be against the nature of car Love! I certainly couldn’t resist.

There are the minor stuff that we are all pointing out to Dan and he’s quick in taking our advise and I’m throwing in my 2 cents worth too.
Dan is surely a great asset to our club and will be a true CSL ambassador.

Last edited:

scottd

Reaction score
I found a great "wrench" close to home. I've lived in S. Florida for 18+ years, and never knew I had a great resource right in my back yard. Finally fixed the nagging vacuum leak, and got the carbs working perfectly again. His father worked at Ford in Detroit many years ago. Here are some of the wrenches he got from him- pretty neat collection that looked like art hanging on the wall in his shop. Not to mention he has about a half dozen Isettas, a 700 and several vintage BMW bikes.

Scott

2121sm.jpg

Dan Mooney

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Dan - could you describe your bonnet adjustment procedure please.
Oscar explained to me this morning how he adjusted the bonnet and made it smooth as butter to latch and unlatch.

The first thing he did was 'calibrate' the two rear latches to one another. What he means by calibrate is having the two latches engaging and pulling the bonnet down simultaneously. If they are not set up in this way, and one of the latches engages and pulls that side of the bonnet down ahead of the other latch, the latches end up fighting against each other thus making the latching process more difficult. Once he had accomplished this, he adjusted the height of the rear latches to achieve the desired height of the rear bonnet edge when closed.

6418dm1.jpg

He also adjusted the latch brackets on the underside of the bonnet. If the engagement bar doesn't fall precisely into the rear latches when the bonnet closes, they can cause the bonnet to be tweaked to one side or the other. This appears to be especially important with the aluminum CSL bonnet, as it is much easier to deflect the lightweight panel.

6418dm2.jpg

At the front it was simply a matter of adjusting the bump stops to achieve the desired height at the front corners.

6418dm3.jpg

Hope this answers your question? This is only the fourth E9 bonnet we have adjusted, so we are learning on the job to a certain extent. I will say that Oscar is getting quite proficient at the process, and you can literally latch and unlatch the bonnet with one finger when he is finished :D

Cheers!
Dan

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Did my usual post-long drive removal, cleaning, and paint touch up of the rockers and cover panels. Lots of sand and silt in there from the rain. Conscious clear.

tMkZynVO9JgE3qmo2J9HWmw0Jjypu-U7ztEfCXXInfpPktWErn3CRigz4BwcLnl_KnUQYB5sEyxjCQ5AoHxEJikdgMXi0SrzLc7SPhYFzRI-RDfZL2V5uEb1QTPNfTLVw3wyXYrJQBIMYZrxezjgI8wlJTfO1MiTdnqqmpgqcDs_d9NCfnNpURzVS76k7mn6hmacmh1zbOrxqEg4Um7AOK3w3uYx99Tj40TP1HfRYFZflWo52jHUKVeD_IQfm2tSd11Ttu4DVKRxsiaKH5ov3lgZyMy6m2YOU7B6ZjZyjHShhna38ws2q2WrCtj2FYmiy62U7xIzfE9Fua5CDdVD0_VxzExZm7yGO2JV95YGhh1qeZ_6mpOU4Y71v3Y3Syw0hswUONAgynwiY8-YrX1OV6c_4CRELCnsHXFePalIvNRa3ydpJUzu3iFVqrkhbb5ygiZLujeSJS7tfdF86h4YhwtAxIkNgTq1EtojABHdIk9rs8fZym8F67UVxInR_AsD87B-fNkNd36sVyMNsrmzTe01hMN_uaopYcwd9RX8yQkqIzfrgRPvtVc95ir5Y9-gbl-1bnAaiqJMN1DYEtDkrRXYKdLi14NVf5ke-2c=w583-h777-no

DWMBMW

Site Donor
Reaction score
Dan,

Such a gorgeous coupe but now that you have such a pristine jewel of a CSL .......does that mean you can/will drive the hell out of the CSi?

Dan Mooney

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Dan,

Such a gorgeous coupe but now that you have such a pristine jewel of a CSL .......does that mean you can/will drive the hell out of the CSi?
Absolutely - within reason! I loved the @Stevehose posting earlier about taking off the outer rocker covers and cleaning everything out after a long drive. That should be an inspiration to all of us.

Later this month I am going to dive headlong into the CSi repairs and repaint. I really love that car. Also, I am prepping another E9 (that will be a serious hot rod) that I am going to have Miklos do a complete body restoration on.

The E9 force is strong with me these days :D
Cheers!
Dan

ccr2002

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
4EC4AD67-BBB9-4BEA-A035-FF78F094503C.jpeg
8C4C407D-A0B8-4B7C-BCC9-2CD96A4F2282.jpeg
B9521517-5858-4930-AB05-0598BE56F2E3.jpeg
3BF03134-0042-42A5-9B71-3DB600EF6793.jpeg

Checked on Jabberjaw which is under going an engine bay and undercarriage restoration/refresh. Spoiler and area behind the grills too. All belt line trim polished and one paint defect corrected on left front fender. Then it’s on to redoing the front door panels and adjusting the window to get rid of wind noise. Fortunately there was no rust besides light surface in a couple of places. Rockers are solid. The undercarriage wasn’t up to the quality of the car. Now it’s perfect.