What did you do to your E9 today?

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I pulled the plenum today and found the culprit... an over-tightened hose clamp had cut into the short section connecting the fuel rails! Pretty serious leak, no telling for how long! :oops:

View attachment 75386View attachment 75387View attachment 75388View attachment 75389View attachment 75390

While I had it apart, I refreshed the paint on the block that the gas had eroded.

View attachment 75391View attachment 75393View attachment 75394

Done! Running like a champ.

View attachment 75395

Please change all your 'auto parts store slotted hose clamps' to BMW solid style hose clamps.

DWMBMW

Site Donor
Reaction score
Had the 14” Alpina’s mounted and am sitting here waiting for the second coat of Tuf Shine to dry.

8EFF8415-688A-4AC8-BB54-A7C268E74706.jpeg

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
No no no, first Steve with his delicious wheel/tire photos and now you too, this is too much for me.
Anybody got a spare set of 14" Alpinas with Pirellis lying around? :love:

Willem Tell

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I hear you Andrew! I’ve been trying like heck to source them here in Switzerland. I don’t think the W&N clamps are any better.Just bought a bunch from JEGS, but they’re also slotted.

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Brought Lorelei home from her visit with the young chicks at the local BMW dealership showroom - where she's been hanging out for a month. She seemed regal to me among the 25 or so younger siblings on the floor.

Gary

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Brought Lorelei home from her visit with the young chicks at the local BMW dealership showroom - where she's been hanging out for a month. She seemed regal to me among the 25 or so younger siblings on the floor.

Gary

Any interest from the showroom?

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Chris,

No - not posting that it was for sale was our agreement - they of course are primarily interested in selling new cars and selling service/parts for cars already in use.

There were nice signs saying 'This BMW already has an owner' posted on two corners of the display.

Gary

Michael Kaye

Site Donor
Reaction score
Whilst the engine bay was being tidied up, seemed a good time to get the sticky starter motor. Wow what a job it was getting it out (by an experience mechanic!)…obviously BMW never thought it would go wrong. Anyway it's out now and off to be looked at (hopefully if just needs cleaning up and no more).

IMG_3356.jpeg
IMG_3358.jpeg

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Whilst the engine bay was being tidied up, seemed a good time to get the sticky starter motor. Wow what a job it was getting it out (by an experience mechanic!)…obviously BMW never thought it would go wrong. Anyway it's out now and off to be looked at (hopefully if just needs cleaning up and no more).

View attachment 75588View attachment 75589
Have you considered changing to a smaller, fixed magnet starter such as the SR71x, SR440x or SR441x? They function better.

Michael Kaye

Site Donor
Reaction score
Have you considered changing to a smaller, fixed magnet starter such as the SR71x, SR440x or SR441x? They function better.

I will do if the motor needs more than a little work. If it’s just the brushes or the solenoid, I’ll keep it as I’m kind of trying to keep the car as original as possible (it’s an an original unrestored car).

Plus despite the threads saying so, it doesn’t seem that easy to get hold of the 440/441s here in the UK, although I’ve not asked around too much.

But I will never say never

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
As much as you drive your car suggest getting the smaller more powerful starter and keep the original in a box. Much easier to get on and off too.