What did you do to your E9 today?

Michael Kaye

Site Donor
Reaction score
Preparing some goodies for installation later this week.

Thanks to @Keshav for his help and supplying the beautiful hub.

9691D299-81D5-45B7-90F5-8F3FFC6D5229.jpeg

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The 300 SL cabriolet is in a class of it’s own...... simply spectacular and In good company!

m_thompson

Reaction score
New front strut cartridges, strut top bearings (replaced the studs with the shorter ones), spring pads, auxiliary rubber springs, and threaded rings. Removed the aluminum spacer between the strut and the wheel well. Replaced a sway bar link while it was apart. Vacuumed out the cavities at the back of the fender wells. New tires and repainted original wheels. Drives much nicer now.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I touched up some paint chips on my friend's Ceylon and fixed his rear roundel while he got his other car ready for the Gullwing convention - he's driving it from New Orleans to Wisconsin! Respect!. Just another hot lazy day in the Deep South...

oWKcqI-q4Xg3PyDN-3Dc1IkZcuhBffgZkEWLP0Sg3lKiALwvQ3UwJUunfHKRLPdSRS5ePdrEvMJmO-AfCamEAuq-xKXIkbSpz4-cdmwF0_zxpixWPOQOL4rn3jD7_xMAxoQrGz4ruZ3nJM-4cGmUM8N5dsQFhSdfvvI6LP_FKWa_JyykROSAgEI7L7F3jeQVQhxbIAJjG3QUvSIrcsiEjrK0YBgUgVlDH7ZXBVHenI9CdmlKv0xCgjjngCAW6a2-Hq7Oi4EpO1bexXC4MVw0GI_GzpxTKfSXfT1E604JyQS9EjaiaTj3jC7acHHUQuVcc7TkzyGXoGXYYga81I-LBJ4vvuLum4l49Djpj7Vyd-AHT5oQz6D5nNEdoacXDvJ2RyUdqyfTE3Rd2jD2li1TK3ALMNRERzn8lqSHukUwOMS0H0sWQ8PqhHFai_cV3ja2Lc-mdDNHL-64mOb6WNc0Uxi5GzRUQhrh6iapN8HBJWgkwsWGm-4uTUQDnJhaXVT3UmPuGPjQ1Us7EeRaePy9OvTnINrBzSxHbefa-lSz04uzadXkOQOnuafFcYGb7SKV59Cp0DWOf8VZfOYCIeFA271NXa7TAzvHOsJKyH4c7n2RIvEJF16rin_iJzJ9h6xmbRdipvEHPK_GU8QOqb8AJKxh6sV4XfClAQSavAwVsh9JDXq-8RHskA=w1042-h781-no
now that's what i call a nice pair of cars.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
now that's what i call a nice pair of cars.
Ah, today! After spending thousands of dollars on fuel lines and filters, balancing the driveshaft and other expensive "stuff" my hesitation problem over 4500-5,000 RPM was solved. My mechanic, a serious genius with decades of experience working on cars of all sorts(mostly German for a good many years) discovered the wee devil.

After a long conversation with Don about what I perceived as my D-Jet system gremlins including injectors and other essential parts of the system he kept coming back to the distributor. It is a Petronix and has run flawlessly on and off the track for years.

So I mention this to Cary who pops the cap, checks the rotor and looks inside the top. Instantly he identifies the problem. The tiny metal pin with a spring that touches the rotor was gone. It had worn away? Who knows. Cary of course had a small box of them in his shop, pulled out the correct one inserted it and off I went.

Red-lined four times in first and once in second. Smooth as new.

That's what I(well really, Cary) did with my Coupe. Two years of frustration, cursing, more cursing and all those $$$s over.

I should mention that when Cary has my coupe up on his lift he walks from front to back with a trouble light pointing out this and that and these and those. An amazing guy.

merdad

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
could not but wonder how is restoring, maintaining and driving an e9 in your country
...offers to buy ?
well done !
Hi, We have some great restorers here. Getting parts are a challenge , but luckily I can bring them from Europe.
There are quite a bit of offers to buy, but finding another one is difficult, so I hang on to it.
Thanks

vince

Site Donor
Reaction score
Installed my new Petri wheel and new shift knob. The shift knob is made out of Zebrano wood just like my dash, so I stained it to match. I love the feel of the Petri and the new look. Must look ok to the others too because it won it's class at our BMW CCA Motorfest this last Saturday.

IMG_2876.jpg
IMG_2871.jpg

Mpower5266

Reaction score
I gave the visors a good cleaning last night. I am impressed with P&S xpress interior cleaner.

Untitled by Nick Wood, on Flickr

As you can see in the video, it took very little effort.

My dad also made a speaker mount for the dash.

Not a major system but we plan on driving this car and we need some music. We will likely get a vintage look radio with bluetooth or a modified vintage radio.

Willem Tell

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I dodged a bullet big-time earlier this week... I was taking advantage of the weather to drive my car to the office. I parked outside to pick up my wife... I have no sense of smell, but even I smelled gasoline. I chalked it up to the D-Jet running rich while cold.
My wife has a good nose and she complained all the way to the office, and all the way home. I decided to drive it again on Wednesday, pulled up outside to wait for the wife, thought "I might as well look under the hood"... there was gas running everywhere! Holy crap!

I realized I had two fire extinguishers in the Tii, and none in E9!

Got it back into the garage, and can see a leak around the injector on cylinder 4, but didn't have time to pin it down. Whew! :oops:

All hoses are completely new, so that's the surprise!

Last weekend I replaced the 4-pin connector on the throttle valve switch in order to replace the rubber boot. I think I got them reconnected in the proper sequence (Doh!, my Sharpie marks rubbed off!), as the engine performs beautifully throughout the rev range. I don't think swapping two wires (#17 & #45) on that switch could cause the cold start valve or any other injector valve to remain on, thereby flooding the throttle body (or something). I am on holiday this weekend, but will have time to dig into it next week. I'm sure it's just an improperly tightened hose clamp or a split hose or something.
I think best bet is to bite the bullet and pull the plenum to get a good look at everything. I can supply +12V direct to the pump while trouble-shooting.
Also, I'll ring out the pin circuits back to the EFI-D unit.
Photos when I get into it...